The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
warch
lurkin old school

SM, you know not what you miss...
I have no vocal chords left, Wild OT win last night to even the series. It is now firm: Peter Forsberg is a sucky baby.

Also a very lame late penalty for the AVs to allow them into overtime. Assist: Ref.

Gabby has yet to show up, but Koivu is THE MAN. During warmups Burns could just barely contain his energy, never still. Boogaard on the other hand was in deep meditation.

Its game by game.

The flyers/ caps series looks to be a doozy...
Keep your cage-fed, over pampered NFLers, This is the hardest bestest sport and the most challenging trophy to win! Hard work and passion can tip any game. Pwhewww. Game 5 back here thursday.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's true, it is the bestest. We sat down last night to watch the 'yers and J, not a big hockey fan, says it looks like chaos. Well it does - but if you watch it for a year you realize that every move is planned, it just happens at 100 MPH.

Just like that the Flyers score, and see - it didn't happen because the guy made a good shot... it happened because they set up a very nice screen. The guy responsible for that goal never touched the puck... he just casually skated in front of the goalie's view when the shot was ready to happen.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
warch
lurkin old school

And the whole sequence was sent in motion 8 moves earlier when someone made a great touch outlet pass from deep in their own zone, seeing where it could go up ice, who could get to it with what momentum, all the while positioning themselves to take a crushing hit.

At the arena, our seats are up high on the end (cheap!) but I actually love that view because it does slow it down so you can see the moves and the spaces work together. Closeup, down by the ice is so freaking fast and they are on top of each other. I get frustrated by tv coverage because it often cuts out the whole of what's going on.

Watching Briere and Ovie, both are pretty awesome.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #19
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch View Post
And the whole sequence was sent in motion 8 moves earlier when someone made a great touch outlet pass from deep in their own zone, seeing where it could go up ice, who could get to it with what momentum, all the while positioning themselves to take a crushing hit.
This is the beauty of Hockey that 95% of the people miss - All they can grasp is the end result. It is a thing of beauty to see the real play begin from behind the teams own net and carried out to perfection. whether it results in a goal or not. The speed with which this game is played far exceeds any of the others - period.

Quote:
Closeup, down by the ice is so freaking fast and they are on top of each other. I get frustrated by tv coverage because it often cuts out the whole of what's going on.
Hockey cannot properly be watched on TV - This is why it will never grow to compete with the big three.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
warch
lurkin old school

I'm not sure my ticker can take a 4th come-from-behind-over-time game. But I'll be ok by game time. Everybody is staying up late and tuned into the Wild here. I'm looking forward to Thursday's home game.

My very pregnant coworker suddenly loves the name Mikko. Nice ring to it...I think it will be a nickname at least.

Quote:
Hockey cannot properly be watched on TV - This is why it will never grow to compete with the big three.
And you know, that's just fine. ESPN can cater to the rest. It has its solid market, on tv with the bull riders and cyclists and the NHL channel/streams! Its fine with the diehards, the northerners. Lets keep the teams where there are fans/ bring them back- Nashville to Winnipeg!-- and have fun.

Last edited by warch; 04-15-2008 at 04:58 PM.