The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #2161
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

Why, oh why did no one warn me that this was a "My Boyfriend is a Vampire" book. Also ... it says "a novel" on the cover. Implies a single event, right? No, the damn thing is part of a series that isn't yet written. I noticed I was running out of pages before I ran out of story and went, ut-oh ...
In error, I read that book. Ms. Harkness should be burned at the stake for creating such a travesty! Or at least burned a little with a cigarette (as Dana recommends).

Simply put, the book sucketh whole and entire and the author - well, if we can't burn her, maybe we can make her walk the plank. the entire story is rancid and puke-provoking and puerile and unforgivingly bull-shitty.

Also, I didn't like it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #2162
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
In error, I read that book. Ms. Harkness should be burned at the stake for creating such a travesty! Or at least burned a little with a cigarette (as Dana recommends).

Simply put, the book sucketh whole and entire and the author - well, if we can't burn her, maybe we can make her walk the plank. the entire story is rancid and puke-provoking and puerile and unforgivingly bull-shitty.

Also, I didn't like it.
Just make sure you don't use a roll-up cigarette. They go out too quick.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #2163
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Just make sure you don't use a roll-up cigarette. They go out too quick.
words to live by, dana. Wise words to live by.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 09-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #2164
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Finished two books in two days, mentioned them earlier ...

The Survivalist #1: Total War - Jerry Ahern
Classic post-apocalyptic Hairy Chested Men's Adventure. The author writes extensively about survival, so it's interesting on a couple of different levels.

The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons from Crazy Horse - Joseph M. Marshall III
Better than most of those "be a better person/be a better manager" books. It's short, direct, and uses good teaching stories to get the point across.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #2165
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hit the motherlode at the library - Dexter and Philosophy and an unauthorized history of the simpsons! YAY!

—James Barrie

Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #2166
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Rereading "Steel Beach".

Next up: Anathem (speaking of Stephenson).
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #2167
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Rereading More, Now Again as predicted.
Need moar books!

The 'rents are away next week, gonna persude Mum I need to borrow her library card.
Can't use mine, ran up a fine on it ()
I'll tell her I've lost mine and can't afford a replacement just yet.

I need new books damnit.
The beautiful, glorious, heavenly, marvellous, wonderful thing about the library is the dabbling.
If it's a pile of pants you haven't lost anything. And there are some sparkling diamonds out there. James Lear was a library discovery. Way to be open-minded County Library!

Yeah, I will face my fine some day.
But I need my fix sooner than I can get brave.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #2168
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I could never get away with that. The librarian would always recognize me. I spent a lot of time there as a child.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #2169
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

More, Now,Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel?

She's a nut. Kinda brilliant, i'll give her that, but still, a narcissistic nut job.

The amount of self-pity in that book alone qualifies her for a disability.

she's part of the Naomi Wolf, Katie Roiphe, wife of Jonathan Frazen trio of brash, brassy nut jobs.

Lizzie makes it a full quartet.

—James Barrie

Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #2170
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Finished:

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher: A "teen" book but certainly appealing to adults too. A student sends cassette tapes to various people to explain her suicide.

Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson: An amnesiac's memories are erased nightly.

Going to start:

The Girl on the Volkswagen Floor by William Arthur Clark: (another recommendation from sis-in-law)an older book, 1971, about a murder in an Ohio town (reviews tell me that town is Dayton.)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #2171
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
The Girl on the Volkswagen Floor by William Arthur Clark: (another recommendation from sis-in-law)an older book, 1971, about a murder in an Ohio town (reviews tell me that town is Dayton.)
yeah, not far from my house. Corner of E. Dorothy and Wilmington was a store called Ontarios. That's where they found her in her car.

—James Barrie

Old 09-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #2172
infinite monkey

I remember when we had an Ontario. Then it turned into Rinks. Now it's long gone.

I saw that it was near you. It will be interesting. Have you read it?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #2173
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I started a new audiobook last night. Dean Koontz, What the Night Knows. The jack Nightingale books have had me in the mood for that detective murder mystery/supernatural thriller combo for weeks. So was delighted to discover this book.

It's quite spooky. Delivering the pieces at a nice pace and with some genuinely chilling moments. Great reader too. Which of course makes all the difference.

It's ages since I read (in this case listened to) a Koontz novel, I'd forgotten how rich his prose is. And because the reader has a mellifluous voice, you really get the rhythms and music of alliteration and wordplay. Incredible level of texture and detail.

Started listening at 1am(silly I know) and eventually had to force myself to turn it off around 3:40.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #2174
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I remember when we had an Ontario. Then it turned into Rinks. Now it's long gone.

I saw that it was near you. It will be interesting. Have you read it?
No, haven't read it but I wanna. gots to find me a copy. It should take me right back to the '70's...ah, what a weird, wacky time.

—James Barrie

Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #2175
infinite monkey

Don't fret...I haz a copy.

Sissy-law said it was probably out of print. I found it through Amazon but it was really from goodwillbooks.

'Course, area libraries probably carry it...but I'll loan you mine when I'm done if you want.

Have you read And True Deliverance Make by John Fulker? He's a local attorney who follows a murder mystery from long ago. (Having trouble remembering details right now, it's been a while) but I remember being very intrigued with the descriptions of the way things were around here, way back when. I got some history on my little neck of the woods.

Mom got me an autographed copy years ago. It was just returned to me as my ex found a bunch of books I'd left behind.

Local murders...and not even HOBOS!

Tags
books