The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/3/2005: Mars crater water

The crater is 23 miles (35 km) wide, 1.2 miles deep, and that stuff in the middle is a frozen disc of water about 200 meters thick. Oh yeah, and it's on Mars.

BigV sends along this ApoD. The image itself was taken in February by the High Resolution Stereo Camera on
board Mars Express, the European Space Agency probe which is exploring the planet.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Wow. So that would make this "puddle" about 7 miles across? Impressive. And fascinating. Thanks BigV.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I love the Cellar for many reasons and this is certainly one of them. Simply amazing--and I've not seen this pic anywhere but here. UT - you rock for making this possible! Plus, I'm trying to ingratiate myself to you seeing as how you've Skull & Bones connections and all....
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I'm told that mars crater water is *the only* water to mix with single malt whiskey.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

And stirred gently, only with a Hopkin Leg.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
mickja1
I'm from the Midwest

That is really cool for two reasons: 1) it makes it possible that life of some form exists/existed on Mars (at least bacteria, it is unlikely to be sterile), and 2) we can now send a manned mission to Mars. The water can be used for sustinence, generating oxygen, and generating fuel for a return to earth trip.
mickja1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #7
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I heard somewhere recently that mars would be closer to the earth this month than it will be in a long, long time. I think the closest on the 27th. I better do some research before I say much more.....
great stuff. I love it.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickja1
That is really cool for two reasons: 1) it makes it possible that life of some form exists/existed on Mars (at least bacteria, it is unlikely to be sterile), and 2) we can now send a manned mission to Mars. The water can be used for sustinence, generating oxygen, and generating fuel for a return to earth trip.
Except for the cosmic rays on the way.

This turned up on slashdot just today.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Actually, boring.

As a former X-Ray Technologist, highly and obsessively monitored, I say Pah! What's the cancer rate of radiologists? Of techs? Lots of techs and rads die of thyroid CA...and worse. It's getting better but far above the national standard. Do you see anyone saying radiologic procedures should be banned?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
gerstle
some guy.

mmmm...
pappy van winkle bourbon over martian iceberg...
gerstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #11
papabell
now everybody's praying, don't prey on me - gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
I heard somewhere recently that mars would be closer to the earth this month than it will be in a long, long time. I think the closest on the 27th. I better do some research before I say much more.....
great stuff. I love it.
You're a little late capn

"At 5:51 a.m. EDT on Aug. 27, 2003, Mars will be within 34,646,418 miles (55,758,006 kilometers) of Earth. This will be the closest that Mars has come to our planet in nearly 60,000 years." - http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars...ew_021108.html
papabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickja1
Damn right, we must exploit every resource in the universe, we must!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #13
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabell
You're a little late capn

"At 5:51 a.m. EDT on Aug. 27, 2003, Mars will be within 34,646,418 miles (55,758,006 kilometers) of Earth. This will be the closest that Mars has come to our planet in nearly 60,000 years." - http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars...ew_021108.html

Damn.... I guess I'll blame it on the 70's....
some IDOT no, (I didn't forget the i), emailed that to me just 2 weeks ago. That's my fuck up for this month.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Damn right, we must exploit every resource in the universe, we must!
Already? And we still have 2-3 resources left on this planet.......
Old 08-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

This is way more important than putting new siding on the shuttle. Let's Go!