The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
glatt

Columbine happened because of bullies. They picked on two kids, those two kids got guns and fought back. Fought back against the bullies and the crowd associated with them. I strongly support recent efforts to reduce bullying in schools.

I was rarely bullied in school. It happened only a couple of times, but was very traumatic. I can't imagine what it was like for kids who were routinely bullied.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

In addition to glatts note, I would say that we have all read about the case of an adult female who bullied a teen female neighbor who eventually commited suicide. You never can know who is on the other end of any cyber exchange. Eva.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 03-27-2009 at 09:01 AM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
some folks are out there LOOKING to be victims.

just sayin'
I'm always shocked when I see stuff like this from you, Jim. I think of you as a nice guy - wacky but fun. Then stuff like this comes along and completely floors me. It shows such a lack of empathy/compassion that the mind boggles.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #19
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
I'm always shocked when I see stuff like this from you, Jim. I think of you as a nice guy - wacky but fun. Then stuff like this comes along and completely floors me. It shows such a lack of empathy/compassion that the mind boggles.
He's being a dick on purpose. I ignore him.

Classic, I flew off the handle. I retract the harshness, but reiterate my judgment on your lack of empathy.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
TheMercenary

Quote:
Hey stop that. He gets to set the bar here.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
well....dar.....that's where you're coloring in your own opinions of what kind of person I am. and you too, Pie...

that statement is, in my opinion, accurate. there ARE people out there that take satisfaction from being victimized. they need/want the compassion that they get from it.....it's passive aggression. munchausen(sp?) whatever...

I have no idea if the example used in this post is that aspect, or a legit victim. irrelevant to my point.

...the only reason i pointed it out at all was because there is a fucking website for someone to sell advertising on (mention of which made it into the article/advert, oddly enough).....is, most likely, the real reason for it's existence. opportunistic profiteering on the victimization of those 'poor poor teens' who can't step away from the computer, ignore text messages etc etc...

the website encourages a victim mentality. they benefit from it.

now call me a shit some more

i think you're full of yourself and overestimate the value of your so called honor. and i am seldom floored by it. or boggled.

i still love you though, cock.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
Pie
Gone and done

Lj, you were trolling. Admit it. Then you can 'play the victim' after the inevitable pile-on.
:p
Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
In addition to glatts note, I would say that we have all read about the case of an adult female who bullied a teen female neighbor who eventually commited suicide. You never can know who is on the other end of any cyber exchange. Eva.
I find this highly ironic.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #24
Flint
Snowflake

lumberjerk

Oh yeah? Well that badass just gave half his paycheck to kids. Kids with diseases.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #25
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I don't think lj, classic, or myself are heartless because of our comments. It's a different perspective, to be sure.

My answer was not thought out, and no I don't understand being bullied. Why was I never bullied? I suppose there are a lot of reasons: lack of qualified bulliers perhaps, but I also feel that I never put myself out there for that. I've said before I'm scarily fearless ('cept for spiders) and perhaps I've always carried myself in a way that precluded me seeming victimizable. It's also not that there weren't people in my childhood, or young adulthood, who didn't try to go there. They quickly gave up that effort when they saw I wasn't playing that game.

I do feel compassion for people, more deeply than it must seem. It is only the people I care about I seem to let treat me badly: strangers can take a flying leap because I won't be backed into a corner without a really big fight. I'm not playing toughwoman: this is just the way I am, the way I've always been.

I am sorry if I seemed to make light of your individual situations. My response was to the article, which elicited from me my first thought: stand up for yourself because no one else is going to do that for you.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
my first thought: stand up for yourself because no one else is going to do that for you.
I understand your point of view; and it's true, in limited situations. But it becomes neigh-unto-impossible when you have to stand up to 1000+ people for years.
Most people survive. It does leave long-term scars; bullying is one of the three reasons I will never have children. My kids are bound to be as ugly as me; there would be no hope for them.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #27
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Well Pie, I think you're adorable...you know that.

No, I can't imagine what you must have gone through, and again I'm sorry if I seemed heartless.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Lj, you were trolling. Admit it. Then you can 'play the victim' after the inevitable pile-on.
:p
you've got me and The Mercenary confused, Pie.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #29
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
you've got me and The Mercenary confused, Pie.

I don't think so.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #30
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
as ugly as me; there would be no hope for them.
cutest ugly chick I know....

Tags
bullying