The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #91
Drax
Banned

Radar, it seems to me that your more concerned about how people look and what their names are, rather than how they do their job.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #92
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I hire my share of people. I've hired a hundred or so over the years. But there are thousands if not millions of other people like me who don't want to hire someone with tattoos on their face, or names like "Moonbeam" etc.

The bottom line is if you name your kid Rainbow and they get the shit beaten out of them, or they get picked on, or they hate you, or they have a hard time finding a job... it's YOUR FAULT.

Unlike the Chinese, I didn't name my child by dropping a drawer full of silverware down the stairs.... PING .... ZHAO... SUM... TING.... WONG

But there are thousands if not millions of other people like me who don't want to hire someone with tattoos on their face, or names like "Moonbeam" etc.

Neither is oranjello, lemonjello, Shaqueefa, Shaquanda, Monifa, Sharhonda, Ebony, Lexus, Mercedes, Alize, etc.

I don't care what someone's racial origin, religion, gender, age, etc. happens to be as long as they can communicate effectively and work well with others.

If they've got an oddball name, I read no further. If someone's name is Claud Balls, I laugh and toss the resume in the garbage and I judge the other candidates based on their level of skill, education, and experience.

I'm neither racist, nor sexist. Discrimination based on names I find stupid is neither of these. On the contrary, I support meritocracy in all areas. I want TRUE equality for women.

I will tell you this, if your name was actually "monster", you wouldn't get hired.

I'd interview the one who has the most experience....unless that person was named Moonbeam.
Very telling indeed - - - From one who supports the "there are no illegal immigrants position," yet you still wouldn't hire a Chiquita, Bonita, Filiberto, Esmeralda, Placenta or Quique....

....LOFL - - - you are priceless dude - effin' priceless!

Last edited by classicman; 05-07-2008 at 03:05 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #93
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:

They acted like I was a big jerk for saying it. It's the truth. ...

That's what I'd call an ambiguous statement.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #94
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Very telling indeed - - - From one who supports the "there are no illegal immigrants position," yet you still wouldn't hire a Chiquita, Bonita, Filiberto, Esmeralda, Placenta or Quique....

....LOFL - - - you are priceless dude - effin' priceless!
Seems to me he's also got a double standard, and a rather unusual fixation on the name "Moonbeam."
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #95
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
What is even worse, though, is my brother's name is Justin.
Oddly enough, I knew a guy named Justin Case. And to make it even worse, he was the food-service manager at... wait for it... Case Western Reserve University.

But, back to the topic at hand: Radar, couldn't you have made your daughter's life considerably easier by giving her a WHITE mamma? Can you imagine how badly she'll be picked on for being a half-breed?

No? That's racist, huh? Then lay off the name game. I've been picked on for my name at the grade school playground. I also have a gender-ambiguous name (as far as many Americans are concerned) -- and it hasn't harmed me worth a damn.

I'm proud of my name, and proud of my parent's determination to give me at least one thing from my heritage that will stay with me throughout my life. I appreciated it so much that I did not change my name when I got married. I am successful, well-educated, well-respected by my colleagues, and most importantly, I am happy with who I am.

Why would I pander to an idiot such as yourself?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #96
euphoriatheory
Sealed for your protection.

Location: New Hampshire. (It's a real state. It's north of Boston.)
On the topic of funny names... Oh, I see a lot. I work for state government, dealing with child care and child care providers, and you wouldn't believe some of the names. A few of my favorites:

Sparkle Ware (I think it sounds like the next Rubbermaid/Tupperware product.)
Terry Berry (Really?)
Daniel Daniels (REALLY?!?!)

and last but not least.....

Harold Butts. That kid is going to be called "Harry Butts." I don't imagine he'll make it out of 3rd grade alive.
euphoriatheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #97
binky
all hollowed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoriatheory View Post
On the topic of funny names... Oh, I see a lot. I work for state government, dealing with child care and child care providers, and you wouldn't believe some of the names. A few of my favorites:

Terry Berry (Really?)

Harold Butts. That kid is going to be called "Harry Butts." I don't imagine he'll make it out of 3rd grade alive.
There was a kid in my junior high school Named Terry, with the last name Derryberry - now that is cruel, not to mention a girl named Gay Laughter
Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #98
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I had a client at the law office I used to work for who was "blessed" with the first name Delight. It wouldn't have been so bad if her last name hadn't been Cox.
Another client was named Lucky Wang.
(and yes, these were their real, birth names. We had copies of all their IDs on file.)

When I worked in a library, we had a student who's 1st name was Ufuk. I never had the guts to ask him how he pronounced it.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #99
Buffalo Bill
Resident President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
so, I guess if you name your kid "Barack" he'll never get anywhere in life, huh? Like, say, becoming a Senator?
Do you know what a Barack is in french?
A shack, a decrepit old house. Still I think that he will be your next president.

Has for me, you would'nt believe my name. I'm a Mohawk and I go by my indian name and nobody ever laught at me and I do quite good moneywise. I got hired because I'm really good at what I do and they did'nt care about my name.

To bad that everybody can't have the same chance I had.

As usual, sorry for the bad spelling and bad English
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #100
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
If they were named Ocean and Mary, we'd have another freaky name in the unemployment line.
And you'd have half the productivity you would otherwise have had.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #101
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Also, my family always called me "Case." I find it odd when people call me Casey, now. What is even worse, though, is my brother's name is Justin.
MAD magazine is of the view that he should sell insurance.

And you get called after a rather veteran knife manufacturer.

My idea of a decline-of-the-West homegrown country name is the possibly inevitable little girl named "Apostrophe." Perhaps this is a name that should never appear IRL but only as a character name in a satirical work.

Alize, I think, is real -- in Francophone countries. Haiti, for one.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #102
Urbane Guerrilla

I did, however, have to explain to the wife that a girl-child would better be named "Elizabeth Enterprise R_______ than "Enterprise Elizabeth R_____" with school systems' penchant for first name, middle initial registration and record keeping. I had to cite my own experience with going by my middle name and not the first name I share with Pater.

Such a daughter could go through life knowing "Enterprise is my middle name!" and always feel ready to attempt mighty deeds. And if she thinks it a little too corny or seventeenth-century New England -- where my ancestry and numerous of my ancestors both lie -- she could discreetly veil it behind a middle initial.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #103
Urbane Guerrilla

I'm beginning to get the overall impression that Radar has a wide and ill-concealed streak of xenophobia. It explains much of the attitude set forth in his posts.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #104
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoriatheory View Post

Terry Berry (Really?)

I knew a woman named Brandy Wine in Las Vegas and a guy named Long Dong (tough name for most Asians to live up to), and a guy named Phuc Vu (Pronounced "Fuck You" in Vietnamese).

I have a serious question I'd like to ask. I've known a lot of people named Richard. To me the natural shortening of this name is Rick or Rich. Why would anyone with the name Richard choose to be called "Dick"?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #105
jinx
Come on, cat.

Especially if your last name was Trickle!