The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #1171
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Wait a dagnabbed minute. WTF? How'd you guys gain a half-hour and change on me?
Attached Images

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #1172
Griff
still says videotape

We are from the not-so-distant future.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #1173
glatt

I just saw Catfish, an independent documentary about an internet romance. It was surprisingly good. I recommend it.

Guy takes a picture that gets published in a paper. A bit later, he receives a painting in the mail of his picture, done by a little girl halfway across the country. It's a pretty good painting. He starts up a correspondence with this talented little kid, her mom, and ultimately her much older sister, who is his age. He falls in love with the older sister online.

The documentary follows this online romance and him finding inconsistencies in what he's hearing from this woman he's come to love, and it follows him ultimately going to meet her to find out what's real, and what's not.

His roommates are filmmakers who film everything, so they had already filmed a lot of footage of these events long before they realized there was a real story here and they decided to make it into a documentary.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #1174
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Secretariat
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #1175
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

The Social Network - Hated the music tracts that played way too loudly over dialog, but I loved watching Jessie Eisenberg.

The Kids are Alright - Annette Bening is so cute! She really needs to do more.

Wallstreet - This could have been a perfect vehicle for Shia LaBeouf - unfortunately this movie sucked. Every Minute.

DONT RENT THE EXPENDABLES! Instead, rent The A Team. It succeeds in having much more fun.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #1176
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Bootleg of "True Grit" w/Jeff Bridges

Waaaaaaaaaaay too many lines repeated verbatim from the original. Nobody repeats The Duke. Not even The Dude.

IMHO Barry Pepper as Lucky Ned Pepper was the best performance in the film.

The entire piece struck me several times as a showcase for Hailee Steinfeld, who was just okay.

A couple scenes not in the original, a couple scenes omitted from the original...

A solid 7.9 IF you can avoid the comparisons to the original. Not easy.

ETA: Oh, the voices in this movie...comically over the top. Very out of place, especially Josh Brolin. It's almost like they were fooling around between takes, and then they printed the outtakes instead of the good takes. Very detracting from the film. These dialog coaches should never work again.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #1177
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

And what was with the refusal to use contractions?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #1178
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Bootleg of "True Grit" w/Jeff Bridges

Waaaaaaaaaaay too many lines repeated verbatim from the original. Nobody repeats The Duke. Not even The Dude.
Were they lines from the book?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #1179
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We watched Robert Altman's Gosford Park last night, and I highly recommend it. Classic "group of rich people come to a dinner party, one is killed and everyone's a suspect" kind of storyline, set in 1930s Britain. The characterization is excellent, the dry humor made me laugh out loud several times, and the plot still manages to have a nice twist even though the genre has you looking for one at every turn.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #1180
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ross Noble in concert

Here's the first 9 minutes of this particular concert. I went to see this guy live a few years ago. Very strange mind. Very, very strange. His act is primarily an ad libbed stream of consciousness. He has a few set topics in mind at the start and then riffs off what he gets from the audience. He's desribed the planning for his show as 'about four words on a scrap of paper'.

Last edited by DanaC; 02-20-2011 at 08:36 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #1181
Cloud

Just watched Red. Great movie, but I have a question. SPOILER ALERT!

I don't understand the twist at the end. why would that guy order the hits? I'm going to watch it again and see if I can figure it out.

Last edited by Cloud; 02-20-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #1182
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I've never seen West Wing, but I ran across this today. It's an excellent reply to those fundamentalists that like to pick and choose from the old testament.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #1183
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

My husband was raised a Christian and spent much of his youth going to bible study classes. Today he is an avowed atheist and loves to use his knowledge of the bible in just the same way. He is actually quite appalled at how much many Christians don't know about the bible and the history of their religion.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #1184
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
He is actually quite appalled at how much many Christians don't know about the bible and the history of their religion.
Yup.

I'm Christian. But my own experience shows that most Christians only know a few bible verses. Most have not read any significant portion of the Bible. Even fewer have any notion of the historical context of the period.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #1185
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato
I've never seen West Wing, but I ran across this today. It's an excellent reply to those fundamentalists that like to pick and choose from the old testament.
I was actually extremely disappointed in that episode. It's a nice little writeup, to be sure... but it had been an internet forward going around for years at that point. I had to have seen it in my inbox a half-dozen times before the episode aired. Down to quotes and everything, like the phrasing of the "am I morally obligated to kill him myself" and "what would a good price for her be" lines. Like I said, it's a good bit. But professional writers shouldn't be plagiarizing internet forwards, IMHO.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies