The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

sauerkraut Question

Are you supposed to heat/cook your sauerkraut when serving it with sausage? I've got some ready-to-eat stuff but am not sure if I'm supposed to heat it up.

Ah, never mind. You ARE supposed to heat it up. Much better that way. Learn something new every day...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 05-21-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Ibby
erika

"...Well, it's kindof a roundabout way of saying it, but what I'm really trying to say here is... I... HATE... SAUERKRAUT!"
Old 05-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I always heat my kraut and sausage at the same time. It infuses the flavors better if you leave it in a crock pot for eight hours or so. Serve with real mashed taters for a proper meal.

Brian
Old 05-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

oh...my ...gosh ...Brianna... You've GOT to have a Ruben sandwich

Take any kind of rye bread you like, cover it with corned beef, drained sauerkraut and a white cheese like [edit]SWISS or montery whatever. Then butter the bread and warm it in a pan till hot and the cheese is dripping.

yum - o

Last edited by skysidhe; 05-22-2006 at 08:21 AM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
busterb
NSABFD

rye is a cheese? just asking u know.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Rye is a grain. Historically it grew as a weed crop, intermingled with (predominately?) eastern European wheat, and the cheap (peasant) solution was to harvest both & just ignore its presence. Somewhere along the way the poor man's food became a preferred taste, and you now have people making rye flour with which one can make varying degrees of rye/wheat/other grain breads, all the way up through pumpernickle, which is essentially pure rye.

(Please do not hold me accountable for factual errors. I did no research. I also did not really read any previous posts more than enough to think 'rye! I can write a barely solicited, vaguely informative paragraph about that!')
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb
rye is a cheese? just asking u know.

No, I was thinking about rye bread which I love so much I must have typed rye instead. That should have been swiss on the rye.

silly me

There are different types of Rye bread. My favorites are the dark and the Russian rye. Rye bread is actually heathier than your average bread as well since it dosn't create and might even diminish any yeast overgrowth happening in the intestinal tract.

A Better Grain Choice for Persons with Diabetes

Rye bread may be a better choice than wheat bread for persons with diabetes. A study published in the November 2003 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that bread made from wheat triggers a greater insulin response than rye bread does. Finnish researchers at the University of Kupio compared the effects of eating refined wheat bread with endosperm rye bread, traditional rye bread and high fiber rye bread on several markers of blood sugar control including plasma glucose, insulin, glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP), glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP1), and serum C-peptide in 19 healthy post-menopausal women. (GIP and GLP1 are incretin hormones secreted within the gastrointestinal tract during meals that boost the effects of insulin; c-peptide is a marker of insulin secretion) All of these markers were evaluated in blood samples taken both before and after the women ate each of the breads. Results showed that after the women had eaten any of the rye breads, their insulin, GIP and C-peptide responses were significantly lower than after they ate wheat bread. Among the different rye breads, however, no significant differences were seen in insulin and C-peptide response despite their varying levels of fiber. Researchers felt this lower after-meal insulin response could, therefore, not be attributed only to the fiber content of the rye breads, but was also due to the fact that the starch granules in rye bread form a less porous and mechanically firmer matrix than in wheat bread. This would translate into a much greater particle size being swallowed when rye bread is eaten compared to wheat, which would slow the rate at which the starch could be digested into sugar.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=65
Old 05-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ruebens are freakin awesome.

SWMBO is half Cherman and eats fresh sauerkraut mit peanut butter on crackers. gack. she taught the inchling to like it. I, however, taught him to like cold pizza for breakfast. he is more well rounded that way.

Another factoid, this time about rye (BigV, you doubting thomas, are you reading this?)
rye is susceptible to a type of fungus called ergot. Ergot produces alkaloids which contributed to the development of LSD. Eating ergotized rye can make you very sick as well as possibly give you strange ideas in your noggin.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
Pie
Gone and done

I'll vouch for rye bread being better for diabetics. It's the only bread I can have a full sandwich-worth of and still stay semi-reasonable on the sugar levels.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
~snip Ruebens are freakin awesome.

SWMBO is half Cherman and eats fresh sauerkraut mit peanut butter on crackers. gack. she taught the inchling to like it. I, however, taught him to like cold pizza for breakfast. he is more well rounded that way.
hehehe, I'd take the cold pizza hands down anyday too. Good for you pops. You're a good pa.

&
woah, about ht Lsd thing. Should we inspect our rye for mold before we eat it? Sometimes loafs don't get eaten very fast around here. j/k
Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
mrnoodle
bent

Schlotsky's makes a darn fine reuben.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Not a doubter (mostly), but a researcher. A fact checker. Just because I read it on the intarwebs don't make it true. I'm walking the walk after having to explain that you *don't* get a free xbox360 and a ipod and a trip to disneyland and a 60 inch plasma tv by just clicking here.

Anyway.

Ergotism apparently has profound effects on those observing the victim as well.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

mrnoodle:

So, is Bruce Almighty ghost writing your sig line these days? Mocassins indeed!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Not a doubter (mostly), but a researcher. A fact checker. Just because I read it on the intarwebs don't make it true. I'm walking the walk after having to explain that you *don't* get a free xbox360 and a ipod and a trip to disneyland and a 60 inch plasma tv by just clicking here.

Anyway.

Ergotism apparently has profound effects on those observing the victim as well.
Just ribbin ya. I was shocked when my plasma tv didn't arrive as promised.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
hehehe, I'd take the cold pizza hands down anyday too. Good for you pops. You're a good pa.

&
woah, about ht Lsd thing. Should we inspect our rye for mold before we eat it? Sometimes loafs don't get eaten very fast around here. j/k
No, it's a fungus that grows on the rye plant in the field. Your bread is probably covered in penicillin.