The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
WintrA
Person Who Has Posted

Talking Dorm-friendly food?

I live in a barracks on a military base which is basically a dorm-style set up. I have a roomie and we share a minifridge and microwave. I'm not really into warm-up dinners. ALSO my schedule is often so awkward thatI miss the galley hours! I do like soup, but that only goes so far. The only other cooking devices allowed in our room are blenders and coffee makers.
Sooo I'm sure there's someone out here who has good dormy food ideas! And I'm talking at least moderately healthty. Maybe something I would never think of!
WintrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Turkey Spam.

Seriously, Trader Joes carries some healthier noodle bowls that I like. They also have some vegetarian Indian warm-up (ready) meals that do not require refrigeration.

They also have tuna in sauce in pouches. Warning, while you can microwave these to eat with noodles or rice, they do cause an intense curry odor when heated.

edit: Sorry, I thought Trader Joes had stores in Florida. They have them in California.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-30-2006 at 09:56 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
WintrA
Person Who Has Posted

Mmm spam. My ultimate favorite. Or have you tried imitation spam? Wow, that's special! Imitation-imitation meat.

The idea of easy Indian food sounds good! And the fact that I wouldn't keep it in a freezer makes me smile, because the reason I dislike most warm-up dinners is because there's something about the freezer that destroys it!!
WintrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I found the website of the manufacturer.

Trader Joes carries Tamarind Tree meals. Looking at the Tamarind site, it looks like Publix stores in Florida may carry them.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

How about Nacho's with ground beef? you can do all that in the microwave.

Rice pouches that you just add water and butter to are popular over here and you can just add frozen vegies, cold meat too.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

"Ethnic Gourmet" makes decent microwave Indian. I ate quite a lot of their Chicken Tikka Masala for a while.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #7
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintrA
Mmm spam. My ultimate favorite. Or have you tried imitation spam? Wow, that's special! Imitation-imitation meat.

The idea of easy Indian food sounds good! And the fact that I wouldn't keep it in a freezer makes me smile, because the reason I dislike most warm-up dinners is because there's something about the freezer that destroys it!!
Spam is pure pork shoulder, it is not imitation at all and the recipe was made by a real French Chef from one of the top schools. No lie.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Try perusing a couple-three microwave cookbooks for recipes that go from fridged ingredients to microwave to plate. That should get rid of the MRE feel that so many packaged convenience foods have to them -- they're okay, but eventually they tire you.

I like the smoked Spam -- I've tried turkey Spam, and the stuff's okay, but it just somehow doesn't come off as quite Spammish enough.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Hey, which barracks are you living in? I was there myself for a while. Loved Mayport. But hated the room inspections. I fixed em good by leaving out S&M gear and a blow up doll tied to the bed. The BPO avoided my room after that!

But seriously, if you are in the same building I was in, it's like a Hilton! Compared to some that I've been sentenced...ahem....assigned to.

Try non-cook foods. Raid the galley for cereal and crackers and such. Hit the grocery store on Atlantic Blvd for decent gourmet treats. I spent some weekends in the hotel across the street eating my heart out, watching TV and relaxing.

Brian
Old 05-13-2006, 02:04 AM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla

Blenders: make smoothies -- banana, yoghurt, fruit bits, fruit juices. Won't do for being the only thing in your diet, but they are pretty good as your vegetable item, especially if you want to get cute with powdered supplements. You can fortify these with powdered bodybuilder chow and the like. As BrianR said, the non-cook foods.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
"Ethnic Gourmet" makes decent microwave Indian. I ate quite a lot of their Chicken Tikka Masala for a while.
I love the spinach and cheese one. Iron, calcum, protien. Good stuff.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Ridgeplate
Zen Laxatives: "This too shall pass..."

Kraft Easy Mac, Tuna, and Green Peas. Nuke it, mix it up. S'good.
Ridgeplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
Hypno Toad
"And in 1st place, the Hypno Toad!"

Corned Beef Ristoles.
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:23 AM   #14
Urbane Guerrilla

Hypno, can you tell him how to make the ristoles (rissoles?)? Or do they come entire, in a can?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Had some rice stuffed grape leaves packed in a jar with olive oil. Drippy finger food....might be better warm....but not bad.