The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

7/18/2006: Gallery of awesome biomedical images

Neatorama finds this tremendous gallery of award-winning bio images from 2006.

This particular shot, which Neatorama also highlighted, is of a cerebellar granule cell - a brain cell, grown in a lab. Wikipedia entry on cerebellar granule cells - they make up half the cells in the central nervous system. Those long tendrils reaching out? From what I can gather from the Wiki entry, they reach out and create connections with other brain cells.

Hard to say, I'm not a brain scientist. But the image is striking, as are many of the gallery. Such as

A mosquito in flight, engorged with blood

Bread mold

The surface of a stinging nettle leaf. It turns out all those prickers are little hypodermic needles! They don't just prick you, they INJECT. From the caption, The large stinging hairs are hollow tubes with walls of silica making them into tiny glass needles. The bulb at the base of each hair contains the stinging liquid, which includes formic acid, histamine, acetylcholine and 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin). The tips of the glassy hairs are very easily broken when brushed, leaving a sharp point, which can pierce the skin to deliver the sting.

These and all the other images are like Hubble images to me, but directed inward, not outward - microscopic, not telescopic.

And I guess another lesson is that there is beauty everywhere - even in annoying mosquitos, mold, and nettles.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
glatt

I hate nettles, but that sure is a cool picture.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Promenea
Resident President

Quote:
This particular shot, which Neatorama also highlighted, is of a cerebellar granule cell
Actually it is a whole clump of cells - each blue dot is a nucleous of one cell. Grown in culture these cells like each other and form clumps which then reach out for more like themselves. They are very densely packed in their native tissue.
Promenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promenea
Actually it is a whole clump of cells - each blue dot is a nucleous of one cell. Grown in culture these cells like each other and form clumps which then reach out for more like themselves. They are very densely packed in their native tissue.
And each one has a tail, like a sperm cell? Actually, the image looks a little like an egg being attacked by hundreds of sperm.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Promenea
Resident President

Not a tail so much as a process that extends out to make connections with other cells. These are neurons and like most neurons, they have axons and dendrites with which they make a network of contacts with other neurons. This clump is floating in a culture media. If it were in the brain it would organize itself into a dense group with lots of interconnections and connections with other types of neurons and it would also receive inputs and connections from other neurons.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

cool. I wish I could afford an electron microscope. It's a whole other world.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
These and all the other images are like Hubble images to me, but directed inward, not outward - microscopic, not telescopic.

And I guess another lesson is that there is beauty everywhere - even in annoying mosquitos, mold, and nettles.
The Hubble images, pretty as they are, don't really touch out daily lives much. The microscopic pictures are all around us, even part of us, which can make them a little unsettling.

Nettles contain serotonin? That's the stuff that makes you happy, isn't it? I've got acres of nettles...maybe if I roll naked in them....hmmmm.

Great find, UT.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
ajaccio
Colloquialist

Oh - yeouch, Bruce! Just the thought of that hurts all over. If you've ever touched a stinging nettle, you'd not even think that. But then, you say have acres of 'em...?
ajaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

WAIT, wait wait just a gol-dern minute here...

Nettles is good eatin! I am not kidding. Next time you're out amonst them, by all means show respect for the upper surface of the leaves--those *hurt*. But if you can find some (above the local high urine mark of the area's biggest dogs) nice ones, younger smaller is better, grasp the leaf from the undersided, fold it shut so the upper surfaces face each other and fold, roll, compress, etc until you get a package small enough to eat, and pop it into your mouth! Delicious and nutritious. No kidding.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
WAIT, wait wait just a gol-dern minute here...

Nettles is good eatin! I am not kidding. Next time you're out amonst them, by all means show respect for the upper surface of the leaves--those *hurt*. But if you can find some (above the local high urine mark of the area's biggest dogs) nice ones, younger smaller is better, grasp the leaf from the undersided, fold it shut so the upper surfaces face each other and fold, roll, compress, etc until you get a package small enough to eat, and pop it into your mouth! Delicious and nutritious. No kidding.
I have also heard that when you cook them the needles (nettles?) soften up and don't sting.

I also read a story (somewhere) about a young kid who was caught spying by group of girls who were skinny dipping. They chased him down, made him strip, and then whipped him with nettles that they wrapped their towels around in order to hold them.

Maybe it was a thrillhouse post, I'm not sure. I imagine he never did that again or else he developed a BDSM thing.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I've heard they are similar to artichokes in flavor and texture. But I've never tried either.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
findpolitics
Long Time Listener, First Time Caller

But what does a STEM cell look like?
findpolitics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Stem cell.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
Promenea
Resident President

Don't try the nettle eating thing if you are at all sensitive to histamine. You don't have to be stung by them to get too much of it. For those who think they are allergic to shellfish, some are actually allergic to the histamine that is present when the shellfish start to "age" a bit.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #15
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Nettles make great soup. Gather about two or three carrier bags full of young leaves (before the plant starts to flower). Fry a little onion (don,t you always for a soup?), add a couple of litres of water or light stock (chicken, vegetable ...), fling in the leaves and boil away. Run through a liquidiser if you like. Add nutmeg and/or sour cream to taste. Yum.