The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #16
marichiko

I "accidently" got a brief psychic reading once. I had to get something notorized and the closest notary also doubled as a psychic. I live in a wierd town, I know. Anyhow, the psychic was behind her magic curtain when my friend and I arrived, so we had to sit around and wait on her. We chatted as we were waiting, and the psychic obviously overheard our conversation. She came out and notorized my document, asked me a couple of leading questions, and then proceeded to give me a brief cold reading to entice me back for the full $50.00 event. It sounded good, but it also was wrong about as many things as it was right.

I lost my beloved father over 10 years ago, and seldom does a day go by when I don't think of him. I think if he were going to communicate with me, he'd just do it without involving some stranger. In fact, I have had a couple of very interesting experiences in that regard, and I didn't pay $150.00 for them. Still, if it will help you to deal with your grief, I suppose its worth it for that reason, anyhow.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #17
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like George Anderson. If I was gonna pay, it would be him.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #18
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Death sucks. That's the bottomline. I would do ANYTHING to change that day.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #19
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

As with communicating with deity, one does not require an intercessionary. However, if you aren't quite sure how to go about such things, or indeed how you realize when it is happening (communicating with the dead rarely takes place in a manner similar to person to person communication amongst the living), then someone who is a bit more in tune with such matters can be valuable to you.

I don't know that John Edwards is that person. However, if you have $150 to blow, then go see him. Be cautious in what you say to him and give him to work with. Make it come from him, not you. The tricks of hucksters have certain tricks in common, some of which my estimable Cellar associates have already noted. Study up on cold readings and the like before you go. Learn how to avoid stepping into things, and then see how Mr. Edwards does.

It is perfectly valid for him to ask for you to visualize the person in question, or to ask you to picture some time spent together or conversations you might have had, or even to ask to hold something the departed owned. Again, don't give away anything extra, but have an open mind. Just because the guy got famous doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have a knack. However, just because he *is* famous, doesn't mean he's any more able to commune with the Universe and all it holds than you are.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #20
marichiko

When I was still married, my husband lost his Dad very suddenly and unxepectedly. My husband was only about 24 or 25 at the time. His Dad was 54 when he abruptly fell dead of a heart attack. My husband was overwhelmed with grief. He had been very close to his Dad, and all of us were stunned by the entire thing. Shortly after his father passed, my husband recounted the following to me. He hadn't been able to sleep ( I was sleeping soundly - it was around 2:00am). He noticed a strange light in the corner of the room and saw his father standing there. His father smiled at him and then crumbled into a pile of ashes before his eyes. My husband swears that this was not a dream, but a real event. He said he did not feel afraid, but rather that he felt it was his father's way of coming to say goodbye to him and letting my husband know that he had to accept that his father had passed. He said that this visitation did much to help him accept that his father was truly gone. Maybe it was just a vivid dream. Or maybe it was a communication from beyond. I beleive my husband when he said that it was real.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 AM   #21
carouselle
Eavesdropper

spiritualist churches are free of charge
carouselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:57 AM   #22
Torrere
a real smartass

John Edwards, the Democratic candidate for Vice President in 2004, can speak to the dead!??!?!?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not only can, he did. Unfortunately he should have been speaking to voters.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

John Edwards definitely speaks to the dead. What is unclear is whether they answer back.

If you feel the entertainment is worth $150, go for it.

And think of the dumb sonsofbitches who pay $2K for a private session.

If what you want is to go to a medium, I may have a line on someone who trained with the same teacher as John Edwards, doesn't have a TV show, works much cheaper, and gets better results.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
gets better results
Gets results?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #26
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

James Randi has a large cash prize for them if they can prove it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #27
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I think he is a gifted guesser. How would anyone want all that crap comming in twentyfour hours a day let along ask for it. I don't believe anyone can fine tune it like that. Filter somethings and not others. There would be no time to put on a show.

I dunno. I don't know if I even believe in talking to the departed. I'll have to put my hand in Jesus side first. That's right before he sends me to hell.

He'll say, "see I was real" Now off to hell with you . you simpleton.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #28
mrnoodle
bent

Lots of info on the web about Edwards. He doesn't ring true. Google his name with keywords like "skeptic" and "fake" to see the other side of the argument.

I think he's a charlatan. He is skilled at misdirection and getting information from people. If one of his workers that's planted in the ticket line overhears "I hope Auntie Em speaks to us today," you'll suddenly be chosen from the audience...

"I'm getting an E. Do you have a female relative whose name starts with E? I'm feeling like she's either a grandmother type figure or an aunt. Is her name....Emma? Em? Emily? Okay. Have you had a dream about her? You have? Okay. This is her way of letting you know that she's here, that she's looking out for you. She says stop feeling guilty."

blah blah blah. General statements, leading questions, validation for those "I feel her presence" moments that everyone has when someone dies and they haven't finished dealing with it yet.

They're the new age version of TV preachers -- they just want your money andto attain some level of celebrity. Edwards doesn't hear from the dead anymore than Oral Roberts hears from God.

Are some people psychic? sure. But not John Edwards.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:43 PM   #29
twentycentshift
change three times

he may talk to the dead, but they don't talk to him.
twentycentshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #30
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

The worst kind of predatory ghoul

Preying on the grief of the bereaved. The audience waits in a studio that is thoroughly rigged with microphones to pick up conversations. Guess what everyone is talking about. Yep, so when he comes out, he's already primed with information that makes him look like Edgar Cayce reborn. The karma for this kind of fraud is horrifying. And as noted before, the show is heavily edited so that only his "successes" make the airwaves.

He's no more talented than Professor Marvel is, reading for Dorothy in the beginning of the Wizard of Oz. In fact, it's almost exactly the same scam, minus the turban.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote