The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Trusting your food

It looks like England and Europe are having food trust issues. I didn't say food safety, since horsemeat is not technically unsafe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

Quote:
Horsemeat accounted for approximately 29% of the meat content in one sample from Tesco.
In addition, 31 beef meal products, including cottage pie, beef curry pie and lasagne, were analysed, of which 21 tested positive for pig DNA.
And then it just grew from there....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21335872

Quote:
Food retailers have been told to carry out tests on all processed beef products after some Findus lasagne were found to contain 100% horsemeat. It follows the discovery of that meat in some burgers and the contamination of some halal food with pork.
FYI, halal is the Muslim version of kosher. While people unknowingly eating horsemeat has an ick factor and may cause some isolated allergy issues, contaminating kosher or halal products has religious implications. I can forsee a lot of lawsuits coming down on this.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Processed beef and agribusiness meat/foods in general ...
Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We got a problem?
Neigh, your honour.

I picked a good time to stay away from most processed food though.
Got some salmon marinating in the fridge. And some sweet & sour chicken my Mum made.

Okay, so I have too-stressed-to-eat-itis again.
But if it means I'm not eating horse that's all well and good.
I've eaten horse in France, but I paid horse prices. Double-plus-ungood to eat horse and pay beef prices. Won £24 on a horse race today (£3 stake). Far better than a £3 steak I can tell you.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I've eaten horse in France, but I paid horse prices. Double-plus-ungood to eat horse and pay beef prices. Won £24 on a horse race today (£3 stake). Far better than a £3 steak I can tell you.
Well I guess it's a win-win situation. If the horse wins, it's £24. If it loses, you can buy cheap lasagne the next day.

This might make chicken and fish processed foods extra popular for a while. Basically, any inexpensive processed beef meals before the period when this extra inspection will take place is suspect.

P.S. Great timing for the new deadhorse smiley, UT.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote