The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-09-2003, 02:36 PM   #16
dave

Well, it is kind of hard to argue against the war when there are millions of Iraqis celebrating in the streets for the first time in forty years.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:37 PM   #17
dave

And, I might add, if those people were there, keeping supplies from getting to American troops who put their lives at risk so we can be assholes back home... I'll hurt them myself.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:38 PM   #18
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Someone told me that Paranoid said: "If one disagrees with "military operation" (which is an euphemism for war), if one disagrees with invading another country or with killing innocent civilians and is willing to stand for her beliefs, that is a great person. And it is not treason, but the highest form of loyalty to be able to say "my country is wrong" and attempt to correct while risking your life."

Ergo, the current US regime is as abusive, dictatorial and oppressive as those in Communist China and the former Soviet Union?

Forgive me if I respectfully disagree. If our regime was as oppressive as those, and as that of Badhdad, you would be having your door kicked in right now and being dragged out into the street to be run over by tanks *involuntarily*.

We have problems in this country, but nothing that requires us to sacrifice our lives in martyrdom toward the overthrow of a corrupt regime for which human rights violations are a means of civil policing.

Protest and sacrifice are noble, especially when the alternative is being put to death by your own government. That doesn't happen very often in this country, and when it does, the people who get squished are usually doing a little more than leading peaceful, productive lives and exercising their freedom of speech. We have abuses of power in the US, but not for long...our people don't stand for it for more than the average four year term.

Last edited by Elspode; 04-09-2003 at 02:44 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:54 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
I was originally going to make some comment about patchouli and stud-seeking rounds, but thought better of it. I was trying to be sarcastic about the pepper spray, and that you can't rinse the golfball and severe rug burn of her pie-hole.

Oooooh. (realization dawns.)

Yah. That would sting.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:51 AM   #20
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

nonsense

Come on guys, isn't it a teeny weeny bit hypocrytical to suggest that
Quote:
you can speak, you can march, but you can't interrupt shipments to troops
(i.e. promote civilised behaviour), while at the same time supporting a war whose timing is utterly capricious given that the `civilised', diplomatic and alternative routes (that you are apparently so keen on) were nowhere near exhausted?

Surely the man in power in the White House should not be able to silence the people protesting war simply by waging it!!! Now is as good a time as any to protest.

And don't give me the traitor bullshit: no-one has attacked us.

Dan
smalland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 05:32 AM   #21
dave

Uh. Okay. I think you missed something there.

Protest is fine. Go stand in the fuckin' road. Protest by interfering with shipments to troops? <b>That could cost lives.</b> That is not okay.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:01 PM   #22
Leus
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Well, it is kind of hard to argue against the war when there are millions of Iraqis celebrating in the streets for the first time in forty years.
That's sarcasm? If not, I doubt that millions of Iraqis are celebrating.
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:03 PM   #23
dave

Good for you. I don't doubt it, be they in the streets or in their homes. Baghdad's population is 5 million; it's not unreasonable to think that 20% of them wanted him gone.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #24
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I want a head count, Dave, and names...also addresses, political party affiliation and whether or not they like their women to wear burqhas.

Without real proof, your statements are nothing but hyperbole.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #25
Leus
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Good for you. I don't doubt it, be they in the streets or in their homes. Baghdad's population is 5 million; it's not unreasonable to think that 20% of them wanted him gone.
No need to get cranky. I was just watching the news here, particularly the reports of a chilean reporter in Baghdad. He stated that the majority of the people of Irak is happy about Saddam's "dissapearing" , but they are not celebrating yet.

Last edited by Leus; 04-11-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I hate it when they protest in the summer. PA won't let me use my studded tires in the summer.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #27
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Leus
He stated that the majority of the people of Irak is happy about Saddam's "dissapearing" , but they are not celebrating yet.
If I lived there, I'd be worried about celebrating too soon also. Seriously, what's his nut from Afghanistan vanished without trace, and now Sadam. Who is to say they won't show up again down the line? Who is to say we won't decide Saddam isn't our primary threat again.

Hey, Bush already said that about Bin Laden. He is no longer considered our primary concern.

So much for the 'War on Terror'.

But who the hell cares, right? IIRC, over half of Americans polled believe that Saddam was the cause of the towers anyway.

[edit]Can't spell for shit.[/edit]

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #28
juju
no one of consequence

When did Bush say that?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 05:28 AM   #29
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
When did Bush say that?
One of those nifty televised news updates IIRC. It's amazing what you can do with google...

Viola!

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #30
juju
no one of consequence

Wow. I'm shocked. What a moron.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote