Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
El Veto-Voter
Lead Subordinate

IT COULD BE WORSE -- OR COULD IT?

It could be worse -- or could it?

As chaotic and depressing as this election season is, it could be worse.

It could be more depressing if "my candidate" had a chance of winning...

... because that would mean that I were foolish enough to have a favorite candidate out of this mess.

It could be worse if more time, effort, and money were diverted into the ridiculous circus of electoral politics. Well, maybe it can't get much worse since the resources WASTED on electoral politics in the USSA are enough to get most third-world countries out of depression. C'mon, democracy is a leech that drains the economy while enabling the rich and powerful to control the outcome.

It's not my fault. I don't vote. And their money, ads, slogans, and debates don't sway me. I stay above the fray.

But professional electioneering is everybody's problem because so many resources, which could be put to better uses, are wasted on such a pyramid of scams. Jobs for political consultants and lip-flappers do not do much to revive a decrepit economy.

It could be worse if the candidates and their respective teams dropped to even lower depths of depravity in their pandering for votes. It is hard to imagine those deeper depths, considering the level of the current playing field, but it can always get worse, and likely will in the future.

It could be worse if more people were hoodwinked and brainwashed to accept that this is the way to achieve liberty, freedom, prosperity, and all of the good things that the free-market provides. And it continues to get worse in the area of freedom of thought, as the establishment minions overwhelm any contrary opinions.

Every browser or webpage opened seems to have the "go vote" or "here's where you can vote" or similar propaganda information at the top. Of course, this is election season. They are all doing what is "politically correct" for them. None have even considered the logically obvious alternative of not playing the game.

For nearly a year the most important thing everybody in the country (and world) is supposed to think about is "who will be the next US president". That is diverting a lot of attention from things a lot more important.

Consider what could have happened in your life if you had put the time and effort that you used in following, or being "involved in", electoral politics into things that had real value and/or meaning to you, your family, and your community.

I know a lady who chose to volunteer her time to walk homeless dogs at the local animal shelter to get them ready for adoption. I consider that considerably more worthy than walking precincts to "get out the vote" for some scumbag candidate or political machine.

Doesn't it seem to make sense that choosing to do some positive things, rather than blathering about politics, would be better for our immediate families, our communities, and the world?

For me and my allies, being Veto-Voters is a statement of positive change.

We choose to do good over doing evil. We refuse to continue to follow the myrmidon herders and refuse to vote for the "supposedly lesser" of the evil maniacs. Not voting is a positive reaction to a serious problem in our society.

May the non-initiation of force be with you, is our blessing to you and yours.

May you stay above the fray. Halt! Vote!
My reasons are at HaltVote.com.
El Veto-Voter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Not voting is a vote for the most wacko extremists.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Not voting is the only logical thing to do.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You should become an informed voter, starting with the local dog catcher and work your way up the line to elect a better class of public officials. Fight like hell for public financing of campaigns to keep money from buying candidates. Sitting on a high horse saying I don't vote so it's not my fault is bullshit. Our government was designed to work, only if people are involved. When the majority of people are fat and happy, like in the 50's, people were too busy enjoying the good life, then democracy started slip slidin' away.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #5
Jake82

There is no doubt in mind that the candidates are terrible. The longer I am thinking about this election the more I realize that I do not want to vote. There should be an option "refused to vote for this candidates" or something like that. :/

All the best,
Jake
Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

I hold all these opinions.

Things will get better when the baby-boomers die off.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And us pre-boomers.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Fight like hell for public financing of campaigns to keep money from buying candidates.
Start here!

https://represent.us/

Did you know they have software that can put you on a phone bank from home, through your computer? I'm going to be sitting back and relaxing this afternoon in my comfy chair, calling people in Washington State about voting yes on the anti-corruption legislation. No joke. It starts from the bottom up.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Because people love getting the calls?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm going to be sitting back and relaxing this afternoon in my comfy chair... It starts from the bottom up.
Heh Heh Heh
Old 11-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #11
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

If I hadn't made a deal with Griff, I might consider not voting in the presidential and only vote down-ticket instead. Then again, I think its important that the 3rd party gets as many votes as possible to get the federal money next time around.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They don't know what to do with it, and the LPers will probably reject it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'd be glad to handle it for them.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Because people love getting the calls?
Most people nowadays have dealt with it to the degree that they want. A lot are blocked, most are away at work. So far I've explained the legislation to one lady who didn't know, out of 66 calls, and she claimed to be on board afterwards, and switched one old guy from a no (he couldn't remember why, "probably a TV ad") to a yes. The group places about 35,000 calls prior to each state ballot, which multiplies out to a lot of yes-es if the rate holds.

I hate the method, too. But they wouldn't do it if it didn't work.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
glatt

out of 66 people you persuaded 2?

Many races have margins tighter than that. It's totally worth it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote