The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #91
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

Is there an argument against the project that isn't rooted in a fairly fundamental discomfort with Islam?

Not only is it going to be a fairly architecturally ambiguous project (minaret-free, as it were), the mosque is actually going to be fairly far, in an urban sense, from ground zero.
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #92
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm posting this because I feel exactly the same about the Anti Defamation League and it's recent decision about the Mosque...

Fareed Zakaria's Letter to the ADL

Quote:
Dear Mr. Foxman,
Five years ago, the ADL honored me with its Hubert Humphrey First Amendment Freedoms Prize. I was delighted and moved to have been chosen for it in good measure because of the high esteem in which I hold the ADL. I have always been impressed by the fact that your mission is broad – “to put an end forever to unjust and unfair discrimination against and ridicule of any sect or body of citizens” – and you have interpreted it broadly over the decades. You have fought discrimination against all religions, races, and creeds and have built a well-deserved reputation.

<snip>

I cannot in good conscience hold onto the award or the honorarium that came with it and am returning both. I hope that it might add to the many voices that have urged you to reconsider and reverse your position on this issue.* This decision will haunt the ADL for years if not decades to come. Whether or not the center is built, what is at stake here is the integrity of the ADL and its fidelity to its mission. Admitting an error is a small price to pay to regain your reputation.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #93
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I wonder how long it will take Fareed to admit his.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #94
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

???

You know something about him that I should know ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #95
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Wow. Saudis. UN. IslamoNazis. German Nazis. The Koran. All have conspired in an axis of evil to destroy America. Pat Condell told us - it must be true.

Pat Condell forgot to dress in his white 'glory suit', ignite a cross, and salute the Imperial Wizard before recording a tirade endorsed by TheMercenary. Wow. One could not ask for a more racist hate speech. The only word he forgot to use to describe Muslims was nigger.

As an extremist, he even 'proved' the UN has conspired with Islam to destroy America.

Why are Islam and 11 Sept related? The enemy is bin Laden and Al Qaeda. A terrorist organization based in hate. Why are so many upset? Because wackos have successfully got so many blaming Islam for 11 Sept. Same logic from George Jr also blamed Saddam so that George Jr could waste the lives of 4000 American soldiers.

At what point does everyone associate 11 September with real enemies? bin Laden. Wackos have so many blaming Islam for 11 September. Wackos, who all but protected bin Laden and who gain power by promoting hate, need us to hate Muslims. And so many oblige.

Wackos have again spun us into lying to ourselves. 11 Sept is about bin Laden; not about Islam. And bin Laden is not building a mosque.

Better is to have everyone ask the only relevant question when 11 September is mentioned. When do we get bin Laden? Wackos hope you never ask that question. Wackos gain power through hate; by blaming Muslims. By endorsing Pat Condell's bigotry.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #96
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, 9-11 was bin Laden's doing, but there were plenty of radical Muslims in the middle east and Indonesia that didn't like us, because of our support for Israel. This gave bin Laden a large pool to recruit from, and funding too.
Then invading Iraq gave them the chance to turn to moderate Muslims and say, see, see, I told you so, which really fucked things up.

Read the story of Abd el-Kader, whom Elkader, Iowa, was named after... the only Arab to be so honored.

via
Old 08-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #97
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Ever read or see "Neverwhere"? A lot of old tube stations make appearances.
But of course. I think I've bought everything ever published by Neil Gaiman, many more than once (as presents). I've been keeping him in the gothic style to which he has become accustomed for years now.

But, yes, I had completely forgotten about his Angel Islington.
And d'ya know what? I never knew it started as a TV show. When it was released on DVD a while back I avoided it out of principle, assuming it could never be as good as the book! Fool. Next, someone will be telling me the Iain Banks' The Crow Road was worth watching...

Anyway, back to Muslims and mosques an all that.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #98
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post

Anyway, back to Muslims and mosques an all that.
I'd just as soon talk about Neverwhere as get into another hate fest. Good book. Lil' Pete's English teacher assigned M is for Magic to her class two years back.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #99
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
The enemy is bin Laden

At what point does everyone associate 11 September with real enemies? bin Laden. Wackos, who all but protected bin Laden
11 Sept is about bin Laden;
And bin Laden is not building a mosque.

When do we get bin Laden?
Again - Bin Laden reportedly died in the early 2000's. Apparently from some heart or kidney issue.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #100
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

He reportedly owns Snapple, too.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #101
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I'd just as soon talk about Neverwhere as get into another hate fest. Good book. Lil' Pete's English teacher assigned M is for Magic to her class two years back.
I can also recommend Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book". Mrs. Z got it for her tween students, but I got to read it before it went off to school. I liked the old-fashioned folk-tale feel to the story. The characters were memorable and the plot was well done.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #102
Griff
still says videotape

Will check that out.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #103
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
He reportedly owns Snapple, too.
Careful. Classicman will also quote you as a source.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #104
classicman

Quoting oneself was learned from tw.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #105
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”