The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #61
Pie
Gone and done

I got this one for christmas a few years ago. I use the small prep-chop (last item on the right) far more than I do the immersion blender (though I do use that once in a while).

The prep-chop can make salsas, sauces, gremolata, pesto, salad dressing, etc. in small volumes much better than a blender or a food processor. It's certainly one of my favorite gadgets... and it's in storage right now.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #62
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I have one of those sets Pie. I use it all the time. I especially love the stick blender for making smooth soups without having to put it into a jug blender. I've never used the whisk attachment though. I find it's usually just easier to do it by hand.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #63
Pie
Gone and done

Me too. I've never been a big fan of the whisk.
And it doesn't hurt that all the attchments/parts (except the motor itself) are top-rack dishwasher safe. (Or at least, it's never come to grief in mine!)
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #64
Cloud

someone told me they use their little prep chop thingy and love it. will have to look into that one! A regular food processor is too big, and too complicated, and too hard to clean.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #65
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
funny--I have an immersion blender I've used only once.

I've never used ours.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #66
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've only used a prep-chop style thing once, and it didn't work for shit. I had assumed it was a fundamental design flaw. So does this mean I just had a crappy one, and a quality one will actually chop the food like it claims it will?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #67
Aliantha

My set is only a few years old Clod. It works pretty well. Makes really great smoothies too. Also good for making dips like homus and quacamole...or any dip really. That's what I use mine most for.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #68
Clodfobble

You use the self-enclosed prep-chop thing for those, or your immersion blender? I'm a fan of the immersion blender (except of course when it mutilates me,) it's the chopper that failed spectacularly. (It wasn't the brand shown above though, I don't remember where it came from.)
Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #69
Aliantha

ok, maybe we need to refine what we're calling all the bits. lol There's the little blender which I'm assuming is the immersion blender, and then there's what I call the stick blender which is what I think you're calling the prep chop? eta: I think I've got it the wrong way round now I'm looking at it again

Either one works well for the applications I've mentioned. Dips are good in the little blender because they're a small amount.

The stick blender is good for larger quantities in a saucepan, such as soup.

I've labled them

Name:  blender set.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  5.6 KB

Last edited by Aliantha; 11-10-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #70
Cloud

one gadget I do NOT recommend is those microplane graters. The kind that were woodworking tools until someone figured out you could grate cheese with.

The first time I used it--grated finger. soooo not fun! The second time I used it, I was careful, and . . . my hand slipped, and grated the same damn finger.

Obviously a plot of the devil. I threw it into the trash.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #71
Pie
Gone and done

The Braun I pictured above uses the immersion blender motor (decoupled from its blender stalk) attached to top of the clear lexan cup. The top has a set of gears that drive a shaft with blades on it at the bottom of the cup. It can hold about a cup, maybe a cup and a half. I wouldn't make hummus in mine; it's too small. (I use my regular food processor for that.)

It really shines when I'm making small batches of sauces, pesto, or dressings.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #72
Cloud

er, no I don't think so. an immersion blender is a stick blender--not the regular kind of blender which has a carafe that fits into a base, but a stick-line thing that you immerse into pots.

The prep chop I'm thinking about is a small bowl like affair, with either a motorized or crank chopper. Too busy now to look for pics.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #73
Clodfobble

I'm talking about the thing on the far right in the picture. But now that I look closer, it looks like it might be motorized. The thing I used to have that sucked was like this, where you push the plunger down repeatedly with your hand and it (supposedly) dices whatever is inside.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #74
Pie
Gone and done

Cloud, I love my microplane! I use it for lemon zest, garlic, hard cheese, chocolate... Oh well. To each his own!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #75
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm talking about the thing on the far right in the picture. But now that I look closer, it looks like it might be motorized.
Yes, it's a "System". The motor hooks up to a immersion blender, or a prep-chop, or a whisk (useless!).