The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Great Jumping Horny Toads! Kennedy Endorses Obama

I'm speechless Ted Kennedy has just endorsed Obama. There are now officially two major camps in the Democratic party. Screw the Kerry-Hillary endorsement, a Kennedy endorsement for a Democratic candidate is big. This really does indicate that Obama has arrived and has the support of at least some of the Democratic leadership.

If this goes past Super Tuesday and no back room deal is reached, the convention is going to resemble 1969 (sans riots), complete with anti-war protests.

In fact, both parties might have their primary contests settled at their conventions. If you're a political junkie, this might be a once in a lifetime experience.

If you go to Intrade, though, the betting still favors Hillary at 61.5 to Obama's 38.5, which indicates both price and percent betting on victory. It's actually more like stock in that you can sell shares at any time. If it was actually legal, I would put down some Obama money because I think that 38.5 is way too low.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

You are absolutely right. A Kennedy endorsement is second only to Bill Clinton and on par with one from Al Gore. This is a major coup for Obama.

Rumor has it that Gore is going to announce his support just before Super Tuesday - perhaps Sunday. Definitely a race to watch!

Where's W.H.I.P. when you need him?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
aimeecc
Super Intendent

I think we can narrow down the field now that several primaries have passed. Let's see... black man, female, old white guy, and mormon. Let me break out my magical 8 ball to see's who's going to win... shake it...
old white guy.
Wait, let me shake it again...
old white guy.
I'll try again...
old white guy.
Hmmm... on the floaty thingy the only choices are old white guy. I guess this thing was made 50 years ago.
Luckily I like McCain.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

After a president named Mitt, the only logical following will be one named Biff or Buffy. Is this really the road we want to go down?
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
aimeecc
Super Intendent

I didn't realize until I read an article yesterday bashing Hillary's camp for bashing Obama that his middle name is Hussein.
I know its a common name, but its funny to think we might go from GWB who toppled (Saddam) Hussein to Barack Hussein Obama as Prez.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Shawnee123

Coincidence? I think not!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Just don't name any Teddy bears after him.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

An endorsement from an old drunk guy that got away with killing his girl friend. Yea, what a coup. Kennedy is a frigging idiot.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Shawnee123

He is, as pointed out in the article no one will read, a human-alcohol hybrid.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

I havta say, I went to the Target Center Obama rally yesterday along with 20K+ other Americans to see for myself, and I was very very inspired. He was amazing.

I caught the UCLA rally with Michelle Obama (also amazing) and he picked up Maria Shriver's endorsement now, too!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why? What he said? How he said it? Ability to work the crowd?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

A. the crowd: Young, Old, Male, Female, All Colors, All engaged and concerned.

B. What he said:
1. Promises- yeah, hear them from all but... rooted in the tough reality of the sorts of change he advocates. Accountability, strategy, common cause.
2. His own personal international perspective. Strength and defense through Diplomacy. Engagement. Negotiation. Respect. I did not doubt his ability to be commander and chief, a much better commander and chief on day one.
3. A sense that he understands much first hand and is able and willing to surround himself with intelligent and able people- He struck me as wise.
4. The leverage and value and tremendous potential of turning a new page with the will and brains behind it.

How he said it:
1. Leader. Presidential. Articulate. Smart. Creative. Sincere. Ethical .
2. Its not trickle down change he's talking about. He hammered that home.

Working the crowd:
He bashed Bush/Cheney only once- large response segue into foreign policy.
He evoked Paul Wellstone once - has his old Senate desk supporting his Iraq stance, truth, ethics.
He praised Edwards once- segue into poverty issues
He evoked his daughters' future twice, as his reason for entering race- the critical time is now.
He evoked his mother's death and her struggle with health coverage during her illness seque into universal coverage
He evoked his father leaving and being raised by a young, single mom segue into education, work security, economics, crushing student loans.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

A Kennedy endorsement is huge. Elephants walk by a Kennedy endorsement and go "Wow...that's fuckin' huge." Personally, my politics matched John Edwards the most out of the Big 3 Democrats, but I can get behind Barack Obama. He's an electrifying speaker, the only viable candidate who was against the Iraq war from the beginning, and I agree with Warch; he seems to have a certain wisdom, an acknowledgement of the fact that his plans may not be perfect, but they're moving in the right direction. I think that he invokes a youthful, energetic quality that we haven't seen since JFK, and that he's what a frustrated country needs following an era of mistrust and cynicism in politics.

Quote:
Just don't name any Teddy bears after him.
Roosevelt had bears. Perhaps the Barack Badger is in order?

Quote:
After a president named Mitt, the only logical following will be one named Biff or Buffy. Is this really the road we want to go down?
He has a son named Tagg. Tagg. T A Double G. This shouldn't matter, but it does. Tagg, for fuck's sake.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch View Post
A. the crowd: Young, Old, Male, Female, All Colors, All engaged and concerned.
I've been impressed with his ability to speak, but playing devils advocate, if the mixed crowd was all "engaged and concerned", they were probably looking for a savior and heard what they wanted to hear. Jimmy Carter did that for those of us that were disgusted, too. I wonder if Obama can sway the only semi-interested crowd?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

I'd say it was a split, like in any rally. Half looking for salvation, half looking for a real candidate.