The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

I'm running in a 5K race for charity to help the disabled...

If you want to be nice and donate a few bucks to a worthy charity, check it out:

http://support.yai.org/site/TR?px=10...nal&fr_id=1030

It's the Central Park Challenge on June 3, 2006. Thousands of people will join me in Central Park to show their support by walking, running, and raising funds to support the mission of the YAI/National Institute for People with Disabilities network.

The money we raise will make a real difference in the lives of people with autism, mental retardation, Down syndrome, and other developmental disabilities. This support will:

* Provide specialized education and therapy for young children with disabilities, to give them a brighter, more promising future
* Help adults with disabilities find jobs and experience the joy of financial independence
* Create group homes where people with disabilities can live independently and enjoy being part of their communities

Please help me and the YAI/NIPD Network achieve these goals by supporting the Central Park Challenge.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

its been nearly a month since i did the 14.7km one here for run for the kids.

good luck steve, and good on ya
Old 05-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Hi Steve, I might do a trade with you. I've done a 65 mile cycle ride two year's running for Downs Syndrome, but this year I'm trying to gear myself up for 160 miles on my bike over two days in September for a charity for the blind - 60 miles first day in UK, then 100 miles second day in France - it's way beyond my normal limit so it will be quite a challenge. If you fancy standing me a sum, then I'll match it with you and then we both pay that amount to our respective charities. If it works for you drop me a PM and we can work out the detail for confirming payment each end.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Donations go directly to the charity, not to me.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBsjb
Donations go directly to the charity, not to me.
Take it that was to me?

OK - so let me know how much you want to give to my charity then I will match - you pay the amount on my behalf to your charity and I pay on your behalf to mine. We can exchange receipts by email if you want confirmation. If you want to do it another way let me know.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Well, I'll donate $20 in your name, and you can donate $20 in mine. you can visit my donation-page to see your name scroll up the screen. I'll use Cyclefrance as your name.

Edit: There's it's done. Feel free to check it out: http://support.yai.org/site/TR?px=10...nal&fr_id=1030

WHO ELSE WANTS TO DONATE??? Please help me reach my goal!

Last edited by SteveBsjb; 05-03-2006 at 01:02 PM.
SteveBsjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

£12 gone to SeeAbility - thanks Steve - I've only got an email confirmation so far - hope I get something back from SeeAbility that shows your name on it 'Steve BSJB'

Send me a PM with your email on it and I'll forward you the payment confirmation.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Thank you for trading donations with me, Cycle. I really appreciate it. Good luck with your 160 mile two day excursion! My race seems a lot simpler in comparison.

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Hi Steve - now have my donations website up and running and you ( and anyone else interested can view it here.

My 160 miles over 2 days has had to convert into 100 miles in 1 day as I could not have the Friday free to cycle the 60 miles to the UK coast.

So now I'm taking myself and my bike through the tunnel after work on the Friday evening to be in Dieppe in time for a good nighrt's sleep and the 100 miles cycle on the Saturday.

Good luck with your 5K run - I still prefer wheels, even though the distance is longer!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Woo-hoo! Thanks for the link cycle. Good luck in your ride! I hope you exceed your donation goal!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
farfromhome
Management Consultant

How did you do do Steve? Did you run hard or as more of a social thing?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Thanks for asking!

I wrote it up for a friend, let me copy and paste it and I'll be right back...

I'm back...

On the cloudy cool misty morning of June 3rd, 2006, in Central Park, I arrived to find a lot of people ready to race, and happy to be there. I'm pretty sure they all saw sunshine (even though there wasn't any). I found my spot near the back third of the crowd, since I haven't run a race in over 5 years, rather unsure how I'd do. I'd say I probably did pick the right group to run with - haha. A local celebrity gave a speech and another blew an air horn for us to start running. I was suprised how quickly the "1 Mile" marker came up. And then how quickly the half-marathon marker came up. At the halfway point (which would also be our finish-line) I was very happy with my time. I hadn't stopped running or walked at all. My pace was pretty good, but I knew the second half would be tougher. C'mon... I'm 38 years old, I haven't run a race in years. I had a couple things going for me, recent weight loss and a lot of gym time, but still, I had trouble running 5K's when I was in 10th grade; and today was like starting all over. The one other thing I had now that I didn't have then... I know running is a mental game. It's mostly in your head. Your muscles CAN carry you further than your brain wants to let on. It's all about breathing and pushing. Anyway, I made it around to that same 1 mile marker without stopping or walking, and knew the finish wasn't far off. As I hit that final turn, I actually started sprinting and passing people. It wasn't about the time or the people, it was the fact that I had actually conserved enough energy during my race's pacing.

Halfway point time: 13:40
Finish line time: 31:15

I didn't walk any part of the race, felt great when it was done, and after even walked home from Central park, which is like a half-hour walk.

I'm really proud of this time, because now I can shoot to break 30:00 min the next time.

Thank you friends for support and even just for reading my blogs. I know a 5K race isn't the toughest thing in the world, and that I kind of make a big deal out minor milestones in my life (my egocentric nature), but it was a race for charity, and it was nice to get out there and see what the healthy and nice people in New York do on a Saturday morning. Peace!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
rkzenrage

Thanks for doing that... good on ya'!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #14
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

well done steve, hope you keep it up