The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Damn. Hoped Eddie Izzard would feature in this thread,
He's looking very fuckable on the cover of the new Radio Times, promoting Sport Relief.

Yeah, I would too.
Attached Images

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You'd have to share with me, SG. Jinx might be taking some of that action at some point too, I'm not sure.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
I'm not sure about a plasma. The family room where this would go gets a a fair amount of afternoon sun - especially in the summer. Are the newer plasmas better in this respect?

Mine does too but I plan to close the blinds since I'll just be using it to watch movies.

I liked some of the specs.

100,000 hour panel life before the panel brightness decreases to half.

Lead free construction.

AR filter for reduced glare.

Wide viewing angle.

Blur free fast motion images.

---------------------------------

A higher resolution is out of my price range.

I have not SEEN this tv but I am hoping not to have to buy another one for a looong time ....or ever.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Every time I've tried to follow Consumer Report's advice on buying an appliance, it hasn't worked. Most of the models have been discontinued before the issue even hits the stands.
Never read anything to be told what to do. Never. Always read the underlying reasons why to learn how to perform a rational analysis.

Decades ago, I was looking at a ten speed. None of the bicycles listed that month existed in any store. But what become obvious were the parts and subsystems that made a bicycle better or worse. In every case, SunTour was a benchmark name.

Still use that same bicycle today. Learning the whys from Consumer Reports, I immediately identified that Schwinn was crap and that this bike, for a little more money, was massively superior.

Learn why certain TVs are better than others. Learn what to look for. Learn which questions are damning.

For example, learn that some TVs do not properly display a moving figure sharply. That moving figure 'ghosts' across the screen. Then go to places where the video does not 'hide' (mask) that defect.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

After a lot of comparing, and reading opinions and reviews online, Popdigr settled on a Proscan in 42". Almost all the reviews trashed the remote. It's like you need a rifle scope on that thing to change channels. But the picture was the best he could find. He couldn't be happier with it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #21
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My old camera, my new camera, my old cards, and my new cards are all non-Sony devices, but the war they started with their stupid MemoryStick destroyed the memory card standard that existed up until then.

I wrote a really long rambling post and decided to delete it, but their wikipedia page has a big section on all the format wars they have started in order to destroy existing standards to gain market share with their proprietary formats.

Thanks for answering glatt, sorry I missed it in the crash of my Sony laptop, lol...
I still love Sony (because of how well the stuff works, not because of how well it breaks tw), although I'm not a fan of Apple because of the proprietary crap so I see your point clearly. I have 2 vaios and 3 cameras that all use memory sticks though, so I'm in the opposite boat.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
glatt

I've bought a fair amount of Sony stuff over the years. Mostly audio equipment. And for the most part I've had few complaints about the quality. I think their stuff is no better or worse than most other big electronics companies.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Sony's had a number of missteps lately. Here's the latest:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19053...own_users.html

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #24
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

What Sony was once famous for now appear on products with Apple logos.

Akio Morita and his band of six top engineers (management) were the reason for Sony's spectacular successes. They all retired.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
katfiche
like a fiche outta water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
We're thinking about getting a new TV. Anyone want to recommend a set 40-42" where the price tag won't put me in shock?
Pioneer has been making the best plasmas for years, with Panasonic coming a close second. Around the end of 2008, Pioneer shut down its panel operations, and started sub-contracting the work to Panasonic. Apparently there's been a degree of transfer of technology, and the Panasonic plasmas have risen in excellence.

I'd recommend the Panasonic TC-P42X1 as fitting your description. You mentioned your concern over glare, and this model has their newer anti-glare screen. When you look at this model, make sure it has the "X1" designation, as this is the quicker response model, making it excellent for gaming and sports.

It is a 720p, which is sufficient for broadcast HD. While the resolution is less than Blue Ray, on a 42" television you aren't likely to notice the difference beyond 7' of distance.

One of the main things I was looking for was a set which had a decent analogue tuner. Many of the HD sets have analogue included as an afterthought, and it looks horrible.

I can't stand the limited viewing angles of LCD televisions, and replacing the cathode for backlighting can be a harrowing experience.

If you decide to go with the Panasonic, look around for pricing. I've seen excellent deals online, but I picked mine up last year locally for about $539. The pricing is all over the place, you just have to look and wait a bit. Dell had them for the same price not too long ago.

Here's a thread covering both the 42" & 50" X1s:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124476

If you're into tweaking things, this thread goes indepth into accessing the service menu and calibrating the set after break-in:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128487

I've no complaints with the set, but I'd surely like to find a way to keep some of the rugrats that wander in here from touching the screen. They seem to lose all conscious self-control when wound up.
katfiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #26
busterb
NSABFD

I just got this one from New Egg. For $609.98 with shipping.
Works for me, but the book is 70 pages.