The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Covert dumping issues

Yesterday my son and I ripped up the old ceramic tile floor on our kitchen as another phase of the remodeling project. I hated that floor, almost white so it showed every bit of dirt tracked in and the grout was not sealed right so it was dark and dirty.

My Makita rotary hammer made quick work of it and we put a big box fan in one window and opened the others which kept it pretty much dust free. We filled up heavy duty cardboard boxes with the broken tile and grout just heavy enough not to break them. I have 18 boxes!

Now I am in search of a covert dumping spot since my trash guys won't touch construction and demo waste without a large extra charge. I usually find dumpsters behind business for light construction stuff but ideally for this waste I would like to find a construction project where they will be regrading everything eventually. That way it's just like the rocks already there and gets plowed under the ground. I found one such spot yesterday and turned out the contents of 6 boxes, however I prefer to not use the same spot twice so I am out searching my area. And I don't dump the boxes, that would be littering, I take them home for the regular trash. I do have principles!

I will probably have to rent a diamond concrete grinder from HD, to get the thinset up; they run about $100 per day and you wet the floor down to avoid a dust bomb and then wet vac it all up. Walking barefoot on old thinset is no fun.
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
glatt

Here in Arlington VA, they have an inert trash dump, where you can drop off tile, brick, concrete, etc, and they grind it up and use it for pavement or something. You have to be a county resident and can only make one free drop off per month. They record your vehicle license plate number in a binder.

Houston must have something similar?

Edit: I was curious, so I looked up the Houston rules. Looks like they have no legal solution for you. I would never urge you to break the law, but if they don't provide a legal path, then who can blame you for dealing with it the best way you know how?

Last edited by glatt; 04-30-2013 at 12:59 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Now I am in search of a covert dumping spot since my trash guys
won't touch construction and demo waste without a large extra charge
... and we bitch about Halliburton and fracking and BP and...

CIH does have a legal way to dispose of the stuff.
It just costs him some $, but he doesn't want to pay for it.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

ok, so your thread title is covert dumping.... and i open the thread to find a lad squatting in a corner.

did you do that on purpose?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
chrisinhouston
Professor

OK, you guys got me going...

I had researched this in the past and was told that the city of Houston will not take any inert material like tile, cement or bricks. And my trash service charges $125 for a dumpster for this kind of stuff.

So thanks to glatt's suggestion I called the county landfill that services my area's trash companies and was told that if the tile is separate from any other construction trash they will take it for free as they crush it up for road building.

This solves my problem!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
glatt

Excellent!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Beats illegal dumping, by a damn sight.

I spend a lot of time in the country/woods/riverbanks, and it never ceases to piss me off when I come across a site where some jerk was to lazy/cheap to dump his shit somewhere legal/intended for such.

Any construction site would probably let you do a one time dumpster deposit. If'n ya ask nice like.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
glatt

I agree, but government has to make it relatively easy to do legally. Around here, you have to pay $10 to have an old CRT television picked up for trash. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. That not a lot of money, but a lot of people just dump them anyway. That pisses me off.

Downtown, there are very few public restrooms, so the homeless piss on the sidewalks. Every morning, the businesses are out there with hoses, cleaning it up. I don't blame the homeless as much as I blame the government for not offering restrooms. I don't know where they go to take a shit. I don't see any shit on the sidewalks. A guy's gotta go to the bathroom, whether you make one available or not.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
chrisinhouston
Professor

Just got back from the land fill and it was quite an adventure. I got weighed and as I did not have a yellow safety vest was issued a loaner. I was told to follow the road up the hill and look for where there was a lot of dumped concrete. The term "land fill" is a bit of a misnomer as it is more like "build a mountain out of trash and grow grass on it"

I motored up amongst the big boys in their Waste Management dump trucks of all kinds. Found a spot and dumped out all of my boxes.

Snapped this picture of my vehicle on Trash Mountain as a souvenir!
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You got hella lights, yo.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
You got hella lights, yo.
And a snorkel. My vehicle actually looks a lot more like the ones you see in Australia than Texas.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

oh I'd love to have a snorkel ... one day, the guy who owned the LR dealership in St John's had an old series 1 with a snorkel - then he bought himself a Defender - I think he only had the dealership to justify his 'toys'
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Three other possibilities, which you don't now need.
1~ bury it in the yard.
2~ put a little in your trash each week, although that would take forever.
3~ put the boxes on the curb with a sign, For Sale $300, and wait for it to be stolen.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Three other possibilities, which you don't now need.
1~ bury it in the yard.
2~ put a little in your trash each week, although that would take forever.
3~ put the boxes on the curb with a sign, For Sale $300, and wait for it to be stolen.
Good ideas. Nowhere to bury it here but I do use those super heavy Contractor trash bags for a lot of stuff. We tore out all of the sheetrock in the kitchen, walls and ceilings and I cut and broke it up and bagged it and each trash day put out 3-4 bags and pretty soon it was all gone. The trick is to not make them too heavy or have nails sticking out of the bags. I also took all of the wood scraps, molding and 2x4s I wasn't going to reuse as well as most of the upper cabinets plywood parts that we tore out and burned them in the fireplace over the winter on the cold nights. Made an awfully hot and bright fire!

And yes, people do take the funniest things out on the curb but probably not cement items. I once put a heavy steel auto floor jack that had a broken pump out on the curb and it was gone within a few hours.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
glatt

We have a junk man who drives around on trash day in an old pick-up truck and he picks up all big metal items out of people's trash. I'm sure it's for scrap value. It must be worth his time and gas, but I can't imagine how.