The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-23-2002, 02:36 AM   #16
Torrere
a real smartass

Whoa!

I use care-ah-mel to describe caramel on it's own. I use car-ml to describe caramel on something; such as a car-ml apple or car-ml corn or car-ml candies.

For the pantyhose; that is most unacceptable in the Northeast, and mostly unacceptable in the South. However, it's acceptable in a region around Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, and Western Pennsylvania.

Some of your responses to this were quite interesting. I had no idea that "The Cellar" was supposed to mean "The Basement". I thought you meant a cellar, as in a place where someone stores wine.

It seems very funny to me that most (68%) of the people of the United States don't have a word for the area of lawn between the road and the sidewalk. I remember having to mow "the strips of lawn out by the street". Some of the possible responses to this question seem to be very bizarre: "tree lawn"??? "terrace"???? "berm" might be acceptable, but "parking"??? or "beltway"??? Some people think of a beltway as being that!?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 03:44 AM   #17
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: Whoa!

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
It seems very funny to me that most (68%) of the people of the United States don't have a word for the area of lawn between the road and the sidewalk.
That strip will soon be referred to as the "Segway lane" and the side walks will be lengthened/added to so that people can walk or ride safely.

Then we can all trade the annoyance of some passing dog shitting in that section with the annoyance of some asshead zipping past the house at 12 mph while talking on a cellphone and eating a burger.

Last edited by slang; 12-23-2002 at 03:51 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:26 AM   #18
jaguar
whig

Quote:

You know, if I see a woman that wears pantyhose, tights, or stockings...that's more of a turn-on to me than bare legs, depending on the situation.

It's probably just me.
*raises an eyebrow*
Yes, yes it is.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:39 AM   #19
Griff
still says videotape

Sick Sick Syc

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar

*raises an eyebrow*
Yes, yes it is.
Finally, a chink in the armor of the Sycamore psychy. How do we exploit? *Griff bides his time, this may be a useful little chestnut.*

Speaking for my region, pantyhose are hideous.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:52 AM   #20
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

You know, if I see a woman that wears pantyhose, tights, or stockings...that's more of a turn-on to me than bare legs, depending on the situation.

It's probably just me.
thigh highs yes, pantyhose no.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:25 AM   #21
andcal
Writer of Writings

Re: Re: 12/22/2002: Word usage maps

Quote:
Originally posted by sleemanj
Just went and had a look at the results, some of those questions are pretty wierd, like this one...

56. Pantyhose are so expensive anymore ...

What's that about ?
It's about the choice of words, not the price of pantyhose. In many places, it would sound really weird to use the word "anymore" like that.
I would say "gasoline is so expensive these days...". (I don't buy pantyhose, being a guy). I would never use the word "anymore." like that sentence did; It would sound weird to me.
I suspect using "anymore" is an American east coast thing, but I haven't looked at the results map for this to know for sure. (I grew up in Louisiana, but have also lived in Alaska, Utah, Nevada, Texas, and I now live in South Carolina).
andcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:34 PM   #22
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

All Y'all Got it Right

I don't know how 'All y'all' didn't rate mention in the usage survey -- I've heard it used by many friends from all over the south.

Another odd Picksburgh-ism: dropping the infinitive, as in "I'd love to go dahn t' th' mall with y'uns, but the lawn needs mowed."

As for the use of 'anymore' to mean 'nowadays,' that's common throughout the industrial midwest, where y'uns can't hardly find a decent job, what with the plants closing anymore.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:41 PM   #23
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

I like hearing women say "naughty bits", but especially Cathy Rogers of "Junkyard Wars/Scrapheap Challenge" fame.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 03:29 PM   #24
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

More on those Naughty Bits . . .

. . . a friend of mine cracks up every time he hears that women cover their naughty bits with 'dainties.' (Especially when said dainties are a big ol' pair of white cotton undees.)
Old 12-23-2002, 03:34 PM   #25
lhand
Dry Nurse

Pittsburg-ish translation experience

I grew up in the Los Angeles area but my wife is from the Pittsburg area, Beaver County/Potter Township actually. I thought their use of "yuns" instead of "y'all" was really weird. One day, my wife's family was visiting and a couple of my co-workers came by to pick me up to go to work. As they visited with my inlaws, my sister-in-law asked "so, what'a yuns do?" Everyone of my wife's family (including my wife) turned and looked at my friends expecting an answer. My friends just looked scared.

This was language never heard by them before. They had no idea what was being asked. I held it in for as long as possible and can only be glad I wasn't drinking milk, because I started laughing--hard.

Everyone had a good chuckle when I explained it to them. Otherwise they just would have thought each other rude.

Now if I can only get my wife to stop dropping infinitives. "Clothes needs warshed." Sigh.
lhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:00 PM   #26
dave

Man, where the hell does the "r" in "warsh" come from? This is something that drives me <b>nuts</b>. I know a lot of people that say it - like it's some sort of invisible R. Well folks, <b>it's NOT THERE!</b> I don't mind the dropping of infinitives so much, but who actually looks at "wash" and sees "warsh"? AAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!

I had a friend that used to say "refrigulator" also. It's RE-FRIDGE-ER-A-TOR! She was also, of course, a member of the "warsh" crowd.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:25 PM   #27
hermit22
sleep.

That warsh thing pisses me off too. My family's from the Midwest and they say it.

I can honestly say I've never heard anyone say "y'uns" before. Your friends, who are probably as Californian as I am, had every right to be frightened.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:17 PM   #28
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I had a friend that used to say "refrigulator" also. It's RE-FRIDGE-ER-A-TOR!
Nope. It's RE-FRIDGE-ER-ATE-ER!

Fortunately, I've never actually met anyone who warshes the dishes.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:47 PM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My sister has moved to Rhode Island and is starting to lose her "R's".

Hey, youse, I'm gonna pahk the cah ... and get a carriage and go into the mahket ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:05 AM   #30
helen
Pithy Euphemist

Random thinkings

On the night before Halloween, which is Cabbage night,
we drink pop from the fridge with our subs while sitting on the couch (not sofa or davenport) and admire the lovely lawn cutting job someone did on the verge.
helen is offline   Reply With Quote