The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Moore's Bill likely to Pass

It seems Moore's bill concerning god in government is likely to pass. Courts might soon be restricted from reviewing certain cases.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

...and an interesting view of it, here . I haven't been hearing too much of this in the news, so it was a bit surprising to see it sweeping through the Senate.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
russotto
Professor

The Supreme Court seems likely to find the bill unconstitutional.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I'd hoped he'd just go away after they canned him.

Silly me...
Old 02-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Quote:
"It would give back to us our religious heritage. It would stop courts from defining those terms which God alone has defined, such as marriage,"
Scary.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Everyone repeat after me..."Theocracy is bad....Theocracy is bad...Theocracy is bad..."
Old 02-20-2004, 02:57 PM   #7
russotto
Professor

All Hail Nehemiah Scudder!
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
All Hail Nehemiah Scudder!
If that is a referrence to what I think it is, you read some of the right books.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

"Over the years, we have seen a disturbing and growing trend in our federal courts to deny the rights of our states and our citizens to acknowledge God openly and freely."

(Perhaps, but these people only want it to be legal for those who believe as THEY do to be able to acknowledge God "openly and freely.")

"Foundation for Moral Law"

(One does not have to be religious to be moral. In fact, morality has little to do with most practiced religious viewpoints)

"What these bills would actually do is restore our Constitution to its fundamental basis of God. It would restore the right of people and children to pray at school before their lunches, restore the right of public officials to acknowledge God," Moore said.

(What about the rights of people to be free of religion? What about the rights of pagans to pray to whomever they worship? Apparantly these people have not heard of the idea of separation of church and state, nor do they remember the reason for it)
Old 02-20-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I hope Moore runs against Bush for president. It would serve both of them right.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:03 PM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Shattered Soul
"What these bills would actually do is restore our Constitution to its fundamental basis of God. It would restore the right of people and children to pray at school before their lunches, restore the right of public officials to acknowledge God," Moore said.

(What about the rights of people to be free of religion? What about the rights of pagans to pray to whomever they worship? Apparantly these people have not heard of the idea of separation of church and state, nor do they remember the reason for it)
Apparently this monkey has never read any Thomas Jefferson.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:26 PM   #12
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

"From the dissensions among Sects themselves arise necessarily a right of choosing and necessity of deliberating to which we will conform. But if we choose for ourselves, we must allow others to choose also, and so reciprocally, this establishes religious liberty." --Thomas Jefferson-- Notes on Religion, 1776.

"One of the amendments to the Constitution... expressly declares that 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...." --Thomas Jefferson 1798.

"I am for freedom of religion, and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendency of one sect over another." --Thomas Jefferson 1799.

"Believing... that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their Legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State." --Thomas Jefferson 1802.

"I do not believe it is for the interest of religion to invite the civil magistrate to direct its exercises, its discipline, or its doctrines; nor of the religious societies, that the General Government should be invested with the power of effecting any uniformity of time or matter among them. Fasting and prayer are religious exercises. The enjoining them, an act of discipline. Every religious society has a right to determine for itself the times for these exercises and the objects proper for them according to their own particular tenets; and this right can never be safer than in their own hands where the Constitution has deposited it... Everyone must act according to the dictates of his own reason, and mine tells me that civil powers alone have been given to the President of the United States, and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents." --Thomas Jefferson 1808.

"[The] best principles [of our republic] secure to all its citizens a perfect equality of rights." --Thomas Jefferson 1809.

"Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to God alone. I inquire after no man's, and trouble none with mine." --Thomas Jefferson 1814.

"The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson, "Political Economy," 1816.

That's from only one of the books of Jefferson's writings I have, and these are just the quotes that apply to the subject at hand. :p

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Shattered Soul; 02-20-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Shattered Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Thomas Jefferson...? Bah! Satanist! Slacker! Pervert!

What that man needed was a good dose of Jesus, let me tell you!
Old 02-21-2004, 12:14 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In Jefferson's time they assumed you were a Christian or you weren't, your choice and no matter to the government. Unless you were one of them dirty heathens and the government had definite plans for you, Tonto.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Thomas Jefferson...? Bah! Satanist! Slacker! Pervert!

What that man needed was a good dose of Jesus, let me tell you!
While you're casting aspersions don't forget slave owner...