The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Pie
Gone and done

I've finished my civic obligation to Mercer County.

After all the testimony, all the waiting, all the missed work, all the safety concerns -- I was an alternate.

Quote:
Gang member guilty Jury convicts alleged triggerman in about an hour
Thursday, October 11, 2007
BY LINDA STEIN
Latin Kings gang member Angel "Ace" Hernandez shook his head "no, no," and put his head in his hands, as a jury convicted him of murder yesterday in the gang execution of Trenton woman Jeri Lynn Dotson, 23.
Testimony in the lurid, cold- blooded killing stretched for three weeks, as gang members on tape and in person detailed violence perpetrated upon orders from a higher-up. Jury deliberations lasted just over an hour.
Hernandez, 21, was also found guilty of conspiracy and weapons offenses in the Aug. 31, 2004 death of Dotson. And he was convicted of conspiracy to attempted murder in the abduction and attempted murder of Alex Ruiz that precipitated Dotson's death.
Prosecutors said Dotson, herself a queen in the Latin Kings gang, was gunned down to silence her because she witnessed other gang members abduct Ruiz, 24, a member of a rival gang, from her house the evening before her killing.
Dotson's family and friends, who cried softly and prayed as they waited for the five-man, seven- woman jury to enter the courtroom, were pleased with the verdict but they know they have a long way to go until the case is over.
Four other members of the Latin Kings, including the leader, Jose "Boom Bat" Negrete, 25, are also charged with the murder and remain to be tried.
"I'm glad justice is done for Jeri Lynn," said Linda Dotson, the victim's mother, who wears a heart- shaped necklace engraved with her daughter's image. "There will never be closure. No verdict is going to bring her back. There will never, ever be closure."
"Justice is served," said Lisa Dotson, Jeri Lynn's sister. "This is the first step."
As Hernandez, handcuffed and shackled, was led by sheriff's officers from the heavily guarded courtroom after his conviction, he called out an obscenity. He faces 30 years to life in prison when sentenced on Dec. 17.
His family and friends also yelled: "Be strong, Angel," and "You put an innocent kid in jail."
Outside the courthouse, his stepmother Anna Hernandez complained that the jury consisted of no minorities. A Hispanic woman and an Asian woman were alternates.
"How do you decide a kid's life in less than two hours?" she asked. "It doesn't end here. ...There was no justice done. This is no justice."
Miguel Hernandez, the defendant's father, sat on a low step near the courthouse, weeping.
"He was the only kid without a criminal record, nothing," he said of his son. The other gang members who testified against his son in exchange for plea deals had records, he said.
James Sacks-Wilner, Hernandez's defense lawyer, promised to appeal. Just after the verdict, he made a motion for a mistrial that was denied by Superior Court Judge Darlene Pereksta.
Evidence that would have cleared his client was not presented during the trial, Sacks-Wilner said. He noted that prior to the trial, Pereksta ruled that the victim's daughter, who was barely 3 years old when her mother was killed, was not competent to testify, and therefore a taped statement made by the girl just after the killing could not be used as evidence.
On that tape, according to Sacks-Wilner, the girl told detectives that the killer was a black man, whereas Hernandez is a pale-skinned Hispanic. The jury did not hear that tape.
However, the jury did listen to Hernandez's own taped confession. In that tape Hernandez admitted that he shot Dotson and claimed that Negrete ordered him to do so. He told detectives that he would be killed if he did not comply with a direct order from the Latin Kings' leader or Inca. Hernandez also told detectives the children were sleeping when he and Maurice Young lured Dotson to her basement to execute her.
According to testimony from gang member Joey Martinez, Martinez and the gang's enforcer, Jorge "Syns" Gomez, 25, followed Young, Hernandez and Josue "Sway" Maldonaldo to Dotson's house around 3 a.m. on the day of the killing. While Martinez and Gomez waited outside in another vehicle, the three alleged hitmen went inside.
A few minutes later, Maldonaldo ran out and said the gun would not fire, Martinez said. Gomez told him to "mess around with it," Martinez said, and go back in.
Dotson was felled by one shot at close range fired next to her left ear. The jury saw several photos of the bullet wound and also a photo with a tiny footprint in the blood made by Dotson's young daughter, who discovered her mother's body and alerted a neighbor.
Martinez also testified about the attack on Ruiz, who had tried to defect from the Netas to the Latin Kings, sparking a gang war. According to testimony, Negrete ordered Ruiz to be turned over to the Netas, but when that group failed to kill him, he allegedly ordered his own men to finish the job.
Ruiz, who was nearly choked to death in the backseat of a car, then left in a trash bin on Duck Island, survived to testify against Hernandez.
Negrete, who spoke to The Times in a jailhouse interview, denied ordering the killings and claimed not to have the authority to do so under the gang's manifesto.
During the nearly four-week long trial, Pereksta agreed to motions by Assistant Prosecutor Thomas Meidt to bar news photographers from taking pictures of the witnesses who were gang members due to fears for their safety. She also acceded to a defense request to bar photographs of two of Hernandez's family members who testified that he had an alibi.
After the verdict Pereksta revoked Hernandez's bail.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

Another article about the witness intimidation that occurred in this trial [nytimes].
Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

I have to say I'd be checking under the car and very carefully opening the door for a few months after serving on that jury.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think it was fortunate to be an alternate, for your sake.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
rkzenrage

They tried to get me on several juries for a day... but I absolutely do not believe in the death penalty, believe in legalization and ... let's just say I have personal experience with child abuse... you are not "allowed" to serve on those juries if you do.
I wanted to serve, but no one wanted me.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

Well, this was gang-related murder. No drugs, child abuse or death penalty -- I had no grounds to refuse. We would have been deliberating for a lot longer than 70 minutes, had I been on the jury.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Are you saying you don't agree with the verdict, Pie?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

There were 4 counts. I did not think the state proved beyond a reasonable doubt on two of the lesser charges. I did agree with the jury on
the big one (murder).
Old 10-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've been summoned twice to serve in the 33 years I've been a registered voter. Never even made it to alternate. Pisses me off, because I'd actually *like* to serve that particular civic duty. I believe in our system of criminal justice, flawed though it is.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
..... a photo with a tiny footprint in the blood made by Dotson's young daughter, who discovered her mother's body.....
I keep this word for very special occasions:

Fuck

Mummy? Mummy???? Muuummmmmyyy?

Fuck
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

That wasn't presented to us, Zen. We were not told of the little girl's discovery.

It's amazing what data does and does not make it in front of the jury. I took very seriously the injunction not to read/see anything about the case in the media (easy for me to do, since I had never wanted to read anything about Trenton in the ~30 years I've lived in this county). I guess the judge must have ruled that the little girl's statement, etc. would have been too prejudicial. It may make it into the sentencing phase.

I was only selected as an alternate right before deliberation started. Let me tell you, I was pissed. As anyone who knows me can vouch, I am nothing if not opinionated. Sitting through three weeks of testimony and missing the chance to make my opinions known was hard to swallow.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So 14 jurors sat through the trial, then they chose 12 of them to make the deliberation? I wonder who, and how, they made that choice?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Pie
Gone and done

16. They bounced 4 of us. The rejects were chosen by blind ballot by the court clerk (drawing slips of paper from a box.)
Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You weren't a reject, you were a trump card. You done good.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #15
TerryinDTW
Rapscallion

I think I hold some kind of record for time spent on a jury: 2.5 years
on a federal Grand Jury, but it was interesting to say the least.