The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-07-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Angry He confessed. Free him!

Jesse Montejo's trial attorneys tried to have his videotaped confession to murder supressed, claiming that police continued to question him after he'd requested an attorney.

However, minutes later, as the police were leaving the room, Montejo said, "come in, come in, I don't want an attorney."...he then withdrew his request and admitted to the murder.

The judge ruled that the confession could be used as evidence and shown to the jury, and also that prosecutors could present evidence from Sept. 10, 2002, when Montejo showed detective Jerry Hall, the case's lead investigator, where he allegedly threw the murder gun into Lake Pontchartrain.

This annoys the crap out of me. He admitted on videotape that he committed cold-blooded murder, and his lawyers are trying to get that confession suppressed.

This is the kind of murderer I'm talking about when I say I could pull the switch. Not only does he have a 24-page rap sheet, he admitted to committing the murder. There is no doubt. FRY him.

Um...Confessions, anyone?

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 06-07-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
marichiko

I found the the little stains removal tidbit under the main story very helpful.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:51 AM   #3
glatt

Sidhe, are you saying that his attorneys should do a less than thorough job when they defend him?

The system worked here. The defense attorneys tried to protect their client, and the judge ruled against them.

What's the problem?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 AM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
Sidhe, are you saying that his attorneys should do a less than thorough job when they defend him?

The system worked here. The defense attorneys tried to protect their client, and the judge ruled against them.

What's the problem?
I think that she's more annoyed with the disingenuousness of the attourneys actually.

They tried to lie to the judge apparently.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
russotto
Professor

A confession doesn't necessarily mean much. The Philadelphia police can certainly get confessions out of innocent men.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That's one big reason for the need for the attorney to be there. An analysys of the videotape, if any could somewhat obviate that need, if it shows the attitude of the confessor. And that was apparently the opinion of the judge in this case.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
A confession doesn't necessarily mean much. The Philadelphia police can certainly get confessions out of innocent men.

TS is correct.

Also, in regards to the confession, they were leaving the room. he called them back, waived his rights, then confessed. Now he's trying to get out of it.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

wouldn't it be easier to just fall down the stairs? repeatedly if that is what it took for him to die.

i understand and greatful that there are defense lawyers, but i don't know how they can look themselves in the mirror when they know they are representing a guilty person. leaches on society, just waiting to be promoted into public office.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:41 PM   #9
glatt

Aren't you the one who hired a lawer to defend you agaist a bogus drunk driving charge? You turn to them for help, but you call them leeches?
Old 06-08-2004, 01:44 PM   #10
lookout123
changed his status to single

ooh, got me. just a generic term. but like i said i see the value in them, i am glad they are there. i have difficulty comprehending how they make peace with helping guilty people (i'm only talking about the ones that they KNOW are guilty) get off.

but hey let's face it - i vote for politicians and i wonder how many of them can sleep at night too.

edit: i guess i should point out that i am being humorous. (in my own lame way)

Last edited by lookout123; 06-08-2004 at 01:52 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They killed him for $800.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #12
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout123
i understand and greatful that there are defense lawyers, but i don't know how they can look themselves in the mirror when they know they are representing a guilty person. leaches on society, just waiting to be promoted into public office.
A mistake that most people make is that they see defense attorney's jobs as to get their client off. That's not true. Their job is to see to it that the client gets the best defense possible.

There are a few, naive, young lawyers out there who still try that.

That being said, the sleazy ones who specialize in getting the criminals a walk are the ones we should be mad at.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

A mistake that most people make is that they see defense attorney's jobs as to get their client off. That's not true. Their job is to see to it that the client gets the best defense possible.

There are a few, naive, young lawyers out there who still try that.

That being said, the sleazy ones who specialize in getting the criminals a walk are the ones we should be mad at.
But aren't the sleazy ones who get their clients a walk simply providing the best defense possible? It's a little screwed up, but in an adversarial system like the one we have, defense attorneys should always play hardball. The prosecutors do too. Hopefully, justice will be served if everyone does their job to the best of their ability.

I don't think we should be mad at any criminal lawyers, as long as they follow the law and the code of ethics.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:42 PM   #14
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
...as long as they follow the law and the code of ethics.
The last word of that statement is the issue.

It's the issue ethics that seperates the good attorney from the bad.

Getting a client freed because his person or effects was improperly searched, while frustrating, is just.

Getting a client freed because of a typo on a form is bad.