The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-19-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
staceyv
Lecturer

restaurant service

what things do your waiter/waitress do that really aggravate you and/or cause you to tip poorly?

also, what do they do that makes you want to hook them up?

what do you think should be the minimum tip, even for so-so service?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
april

Not responding when you want a drink.
april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:39 PM   #3
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

Prompt refills are a must. When waiters/waitresses bring me refills on time and without even asking...I have a hard time not giving 20%.
In general its the attentiveness of the server that results in better tips from me. I'm not asking them to be perfect, but I am asking them to give me a reasonable amount of attention. Mistakes can be made and I won't take offense, but not paying attention to me, the customer, that is grounds for no tip.
I can understand that sometimes it gets very busy in the restaurant, and that I can't be the center of the world for my server. This doesn't mean I'm not going to tip, but the tip will not be outstanding either. Tips are based on merit, not circumstances. I figure that I might not have given the best tip, but if things are busy then my waiter/waitress is most likely making up for it with the extra business.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
breakingnews
Q_Q

I can't stand it when waitresses/waiters aren't pleasant. You don't have to be super cheery and make jokes, etc., but nothing's more unappealing than being served by someone who's visibly pissed off. And then I hear her cursing as she goes back to the kitchen to get a bottle of ketchup. What did she have to do after she brought it back to the table? Nothing.

That's pretty much it, but I'm low maintenance. Just give me my food in a polite and timely fashion and you'll get 20% out of me, easy. Flirting, ass grabs and like gestures are also easy ways to squeeze an extra 3-4% too.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Who here finds it odd that this brand new member makes this odd 1 line post and seconds later April responds with a 3 line response?

Maybe I'm just hyper suspicious but then April has made more alternate IDs on this board than mistakes in RL.

And staceyv, if you are a legit new member, sorry for the suspicion, welcome aboard and stuff....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to go out every day, nowdays it's pretty much twice a week.

I like to think that I tip generously, most of the time the food is about $70 and most of the time I leave at least $12 tip.

Things that piss me off: Slow service. Messed up orders. When I don't get chop sticks in an asian restaurant although they give chopsticks to asain customers. Lack of refils. People why try to be funny and are not. People who try to be cute but are not. People who ask me three times if I'm sure that thats what I want. "It's really spicy!. Are you sure? It's really very spicy."

What I give larger tips for ($20+) People who do mangage to be cute, funny and friendly. People who refil whatever I order whenever I run out. Speedy service and people who ask me if everything is alright.

When I used to hang out with just guys and the waitress happened to be a cute girl we'd rank her on a scale of $1 - $5 (as in each person puts in what they think she ranks) considering that we always had at least 4-6 people I don't think the waitresses would have complained if they knew of our fairly crude behaviour.

Last edited by FileNotFound; 11-19-2003 at 02:50 PM.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
dave

Since you're a waitress, I'll give you some tips (no pun intended).

- There are three things upon which I primarily base my tip: attitude, drink refills and getting the check at the end of the meal.

I like a waitress to be friendly, but that's not totally it. I realize that waitresses have bad days and can't be smiling all the time. <b>That's fine!</b> Just don't treat me like I'm the cause of your problems. I eat out about five nights a week, so I have had a <b>lot</b> of waitresses. There are some that cop an attitude with me or don't at all seem eager to earn that tip. I don't need much, and I think I'm in the same boat as most people. Be enjoyable.

Conversation usually helps with attitude. I don't need to sit there and talk for twenty minutes (though it's not necessarily a bad thing either), but you can do better than "What do you want to eat? Here's your food. Pay the check at the register." A waitress that's interested in making my meal pleasant will be getting a retardedly big tip.

As far as drink refills, this is a big issue with me, probably the number one thing. I drink a lot, and I want my refills. I don't care if the food's late, a bit cold, whatever. If I'm sitting there struggling to get a drop through the straw, there should be another drink on the way to my table. If a waitress is prompt on the refills, it shows me that she's paying attention and cares that I have a decent meal. Plus, it keeps me from getting thirsty, which makes me happy, which makes me feel a lot better about leaving you $10 on a $20 order.

I like spending some time at restaurants, but when I'm ready to go, I'm ready to go. As the bulk of the party is finishing their meals, we should be asked if we'd like anything else. No? I'll have the check right out to you. More than not getting refills, I hate sitting there for 20 minutes waiting for the check so I can get the fuck out of there.

Another big thing with me is getting the order right. Those wait staff that memorize your order? Yeah, they usually forget something. I don't care if it takes 10 minutes to write down the order. I'm really impressed when someone remembers everything.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

My only really big think is getting the check promptly. I've rarely had to sit around for an unreasonable amount of time waiting for food. I've OFTEN had to sit and wait for the check. And if the customer is there with 2 little kids who have exhausted their ability to sit still without any amusement, and are starting to climb the curtains, swing on light fixtures, etc., then bringing and settling the check FAST is good customer service not just for that customer, but also for everybody else sitting around them.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:29 PM   #8
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

A waiter or waitress really needs to SUCK before I start cutting back on the tip. I'm annoyed by the same things that annoy everyone else- namely not getting the order right because the server wasn't listening or making us wait too long to take the order/get food/ refill/ (when the restaurant isn't really busy).

About the only thing that will cause me to tip less than 15% is when the server gets personal by copping an attitude.

I usually tip 20% and rarely give servers a hard time. I waited tables for five years when in college and I know what arseholes some people are so I'm generally sympathetic but I gave my best to my customers and expect a good effort. A smile is also greatly appreciated but not expected.

I'm paying for decent food deliverd promptly as orderd and if I get that I'm usually pretty happy.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:46 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I tip enormously if I've created any sort of mess.

I am messy by nature.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Re: restaurant service

Quote:
Originally posted by staceyv
what things do your waiter/waitress do that really aggravate you and/or cause you to tip poorly?

also, what do they do that makes you want to hook them up?

what do you think should be the minimum tip, even for so-so service?

Keep my drinks refilled.
Ask me if I need any condiments when you deliver the food.

There is no such thing as a minimum tip. If I don't feel you gave me at least minimum service, I don't leave a damn thing.

Normal tip is 15% rounded up to make my bill an even amount, high end is about 25%, to the nearest whole bill ($5, $10, $20). I did tip $50 on one meal, it was $100 and the waiter was really just...fucking outstanding. And the fact he was hot helped too.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:26 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I hate it when a cute waitress smacks the shit out of me after I grab her ass...the nerve of her!

We got very good service at UT's party Saturday night...the waitress wound up getting a substantial tip (primarily thanks to Bruce) in the neighborhood of 40%.

As a whole, I get most annoyed by poor service, in the vein that Dave mentioned. That, lack of prompt refills, and when the waitress gives me TOO much time after I say "I need another minute."

My most surreal waitress encounter ever...

A couple of friends and I were having a late night dinner at a Denny's in St. Louis. The waitress was perfectly nice and all. As she brings us an ashtray, she looks at my friend Holly rather intently.

"Excuse me, ma'am...I don't mean to be disrespectful, but were you at Hyland back in '93?"

(Hyland Center is a well-respected drug/disorder treatment center in St. Louis.)

My friend Holly is a bit stunned at first, but responds, "Ummm...yeah."

"Oh, okay...I THOUGHT I knew you from somewhere. Which unit were you in? I was in drug treatment."

Holly says, quietly, "Eating disorders."

They then talked for a moment or two about their time there...it was like vets swapping war stories.

Too funny.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #12
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I was a waitress at Denny's for a breif stint.

Don't tell anyone.

Really, the younger people are, the better they tip.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:32 PM   #13
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

I tip well because i'm married to a man who orders like sally from "When Harry Met Sally".

I used to get embarrassed. Now I just apologize in advance and tip well. Plus I tell them I tip well, so I get better service.

Tipping used to come at the beginning of the meal, and the better the tip, the better your service.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:35 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
We got very good service at UT's party Saturday night...the waitress wound up getting a substantial tip (primarily thanks to Bruce) in the neighborhood of 40%.
Actually a little more due to another transaction downstairs. Well, she was....ah...perky.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #15
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by darclauz
Tipping used to come at the beginning of the meal, and the better the tip, the better your service.
Unless you've witnessed it, I'll call that "false". Snopes has debunked it and the "tip == To Insure Promptness" fable.