The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #31
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Phil Villapiano OLB of the 77 Raiders Super Bowl winners is a great guy. He sat next to me on a flight from Chicago to San Jose. He was playing in a celebrity golf torney in Monterey that weekend. I was returning from a trade show.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #32
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
My grandmother is the Telugu novelist Dwivedula Visalakshi. A character in one of her novels is named after me.
i am impressed. I assume you read the novel that contained this character. did you like the character? how many novels has she written? what does Telugu mean? are any of her books available on audible dot com? is she a celebrity in india? abar.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #33
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Met Len Dawson (Chiefs QB of their glory years) when I was in sixth grade. I know Russell Buddy Helm, who was briefly a drummer for Frank Zappa but worked with Tim Buckley for years. Went to junior high and high school with Rich Ruth, bassist for the Rainmakers. Went to junior high and high school with Mark Pender, horn player in The Max Weinberg 7, Conan's band.

I'm pretty sure there's more, but honestly, I am so non-impressed with celebrity *as* celebrity, I've probably forgotten.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #34
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I was the first person to photograph Donovan McNabb in an Eagles jersey.
i need more here. how do you know you were 1st? did he tell you that?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #35
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I saw Ronald Mcdonald once.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I was in the press room at Vet Stadium during the 1999 draft. We were working on the Eagles website at the time, and we were doing a "draft day live" sort of web event, where we'd update the page with information and new pictures and audio of press conferences and such.

The team pretty much knew they were going to take McNabb. So they arranged for him to be limo'd down to the Eagles' offices at the Vet where he did a quick web chat with the fans. Then he came down to the draft room and put on the #5 jersey while he waited to be officially photographed by the official photographer. I took shots of him while the guy was setting up, and we put them on the site.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #37
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

PS on that msg. The most mind-boggling thing I saw that day was not all the big names of players and sportscasters I recognized.

I took the chat messages and put them up on the draft day live area. Print reporters milled around and noticed that, suddenly, there were a huge number of actual McNabb quotes laid out right in front of them. A number of them jotted a few of them down.

It was then and there that I knew newspapers were dead. These lazy-ass reporters were taking the easy road and not actually asking questions or actually covering an event. Their stories would hint that they asked the questions of McNabb, when actually it was fans who asked them, and there was no proof at all that McNabb had actually made any of the statements attributed to him. But what's more, the chat was available directly from the team, so there was no need for a newspaper if you wanted to know the real deal... 24 hours later.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #38
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker
Ms. Hewitt came by the rehearsal studio one day at noon, and brought lunch for the band. She was wearing sweats and flip flips, no makeup, hair in a hat.
You have done something no one else has ever done: You have come up with a scenario in which I would be rendered utterly speechless.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #39
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
He was old and feeble. His shoulders were stooped so he was actually shorter than me, but he had shitloads of presence.
Did he have a firearm in his hand....and did that hand look dead?

[ hint: spokesman for the NRA famous for saying.."you can have my firearms when you pry them out of my cold dead hands" ]
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #40
Torrere
a real smartass

I studied Calculus with Jimmy Carter.

(not that Jimmy Carter!)
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #41
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

The Current Wife's best friend at school was John Lennon's chauffer's daughter.... they both used to be picked up from school in the psychadaelic rolls-royce...... she's actually been in the white room where the Imagine video was shot....

My sister was nanny and housekeeper to the secretary to the Arts Council in the early 70's. As such, she arranged and served many a dinner for that lady's best friend, one Margaret Windsor......
Old 10-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #42
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I studied Calculus with Jimmy Carter.

(not that Jimmy Carter!)

Hell I can top that , I married Carol Burnette

( not that Carol Burnette !!)
Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #43
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Johnny Depp asked me to marry him, but I was too busy sorting my sock drawer by color, width, and material. Shucks!

(I wish)
Old 10-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #44
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Jonathan Frakes (Make it so, Number One!) hit on me one night, when he was really drunk.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #45
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I lived across the street from Dolly Parton for 8 years in TN (tried to sell her some Boy Scout mulch bags at one point too).. also went to elementary school with her neice who lived in the area too. Dolly would come visit the school a couple times a year and sing for us in the cafeteria and stuff.
Also one of my friends from OU is out working on the set of the tv show "Scrubs" and eats lunch with some of the cast on a regular basis.

Last edited by Bullitt; 10-16-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote