The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

PETA Killed 95% of Their Pets Last Year

Quote:
According to documents released today, they’ve killed 95% of the pets placed in the adoptive care program. How many did they place in homes? Seven. How many were taken behind the shed and read the riot act? 2,124. And I’m sure the seven placed were by some dreadlocked man telling his friends, “TAKE THIS DOG. I CAN’T KEEP TELLING PEOPLE I KILL ANIMALS FOR PETA.”

PETA has a $32 million dollar budget, and yet still has failed to build any sort of shelter to humanely house the pets in their program. More likely, the money is used to pay the salaries of their employees, so they can say ridiculous shiz, picket events and hand out stupid stickers with adorable chickens on it that say, “I am not a McNugget.” They’re like the town slut, boning everybody, then trying to shame them in church. Except this town slut aggressively markets to children.
Assholes.

link
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

"Seriously, killing animals while advocating for treating them ethically is like hiring a bomb squad to disarm a bomb, then activating it in an orphanage.

Don’t support this practice."
Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

While I generally make fun of PETA along with almost everyone else, I'm going to reserve judgment on this one. Googling only found that one source, plus the math doesn't work out.

If I've done my algebra correctly there were originally ~2236 pets (2124 being ~ 95% of 2236). 2236 original pets - 2124 killed pets leaves 112 not 7. I guess it's possible that the rest are still in holding but not placed. But the difference made me suspicious.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
While I generally make fun of PETA along with almost everyone else, I'm going to reserve judgment on this one. Googling only found that one source, plus the math doesn't work out.

If I've done my algebra correctly there were originally ~2236 pets (2124 being ~ 95% of 2236). 2236 original pets - 2124 killed pets leaves 112 not 7. I guess it's possible that the rest are still in holding but not placed. But the difference made me suspicious.
But... but... How can you not believe it, it was on the innerwebz!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Redux

I dont particularly care about PETA one way or the other, but the source of this story is an innocuously named organization, Center for Consumer Freedom

The CCF is a front group for numerous industries, including beef/poultry who dont like PETA's position on regulating processing plants, restaurant/fast food industry who dont like PETA's position on menu lableing and industries heavily involve with product testing on animals.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
glatt

I didn't do the math, but the numbers seemed off to me too.

However, there was a similar story about PETA killing pets a few years ago. It's been going on for a while. There's a thread here somewhere...
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Redux

Oh...and the CCF is also funded by the tobacco industry which still does animal testing...hooking primates up to round the clock ventilation machines to "prove" no correlation between smoking and lung cancer.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
glatt

On their own website, PETA explains why it euthanizes animals. Don't click this link unless you want to see disgusting pictures of abused animals.

So they admit they do it. They don't say how many.

According to a Newsweek article last year, they killed 85% of all the animals they took in.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

wiki

Quote:
Policy on euthanasia

Before founding PETA, Newkirk was chief of animal-disease control and director of the animal shelter in the District of Columbia.[56] She has said that she was shocked by the way the animals were treated in the shelter, and by the methods used to euthanize them.[57]
PETA is against the no kill movement and euthanizes most of the animals surrendered to them.[58] It recommends euthanasia for certain breeds of animals, such as pit bull terriers, and in certain situations for unwanted animals in shelters: for example, for those living for long periods in cramped cages.[59][60][61] It takes in feral cat colonies with diseases such as feline AIDS and leukemia, stray dogs, litters of parvo-infected puppies, and backyard dogs, and as such it would be unrealistic to operate a no-kill policy.[62] Newkirk has said: "It is a totally rotten business, but sometimes the only kind option for some animals is to put them to sleep forever."[63] PETA euthanized 1,946 companion animals in Virginia in 2005, out of 2,138 animals surrendered to them or picked up as strays.[64]
[edit] Criminal proceedings

PETA was criticized in 2005 when police discovered that over the course of a month, at least 80 animals had been euthanized and left in area dumpsters. Two PETA employees were seen approaching a dumpster in a van registered to PETA and leaving behind 18 dead animals; 13 more were found inside the van. The animals had been euthanized by the PETA employees immediately after taking them from shelters in Northampton and Bertie counties.[65] The group said it began euthanizing animals in some rural North Carolina shelters after it found the shelters were killing animals in ways PETA considered inhumane.[66] Police charged the two employees with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty and eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposal of dead animals.[67] They were acquitted of all charges by April 2008.[68]
Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Redux

The website, PETA Kills Animals, is also a site of the CCF:
Quote:
"PETA Kills Animals" is a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the full range of choices that American consumers currently enjoy. In addition to malicious animal-rights activists, we stand up to the "food police," environmental scaremongers, neo-prohibitionists, meddling bureaucrats, and other self-anointed saints who claim to "know what's best" for you.
The CCF is not interested in representing consumers as much as they are representing industry groups opposed to regulation of food/drug/tobacco products.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
glatt

I don't care about CCF.

Are you saying PETA doesn't euthanize animals? Because their own website says they do.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
The CCF is not interested in representing consumers as much as they are representing industry groups ~
Isn't that really true for most of these groups? I mean really what group is selfless enough to want to take care of or look out for others moreso than their own self interests, power and/or profits?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I don't care about CCF.

Are you saying PETA doesn't euthanize animals? Because their own website says they do.
I have not doubt that PETA euthanize animals....just as I have no doubt that CCF spreads misinformation about PETA that is more in the interest of its industry funders than the public interest.

My point is to not look at all allegations against PETA in a vacuum.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Isn't that really true for most of these groups? I mean really what group is selfless enough to want to take care of or look out for others moreso than their own self interests, power and/or profits?
There are numerous consumer advocacy groups that are not funded by industries with a $$multi-million agenda.

As I said, I dont particularly care about PETA one way or the other, but if I ran into a PETA person, I would say shame on you for your inhumane treatment of unwanted pets and thank you for your role in advocating stronger meat/poultry processing regulations and food/drug labeling...and you need to give a little on product testing on animals...it serves a purpose but should be regulated to ensure that it is done as humanely as possible.

Last edited by Redux; 10-02-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
classicman

Thanks, but that didn't answer the question.