Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #706
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
.., I haven't been but to a few weddings and funerals in the last 20 years.
That is my plan for the next twenty.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #707
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I meant amp up the civilian population to support a war of choice. ..."this crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take awhile."
So he said it in dog-whistle language, and you're the dog. The rest of us didn't hear it, so it didn't happen for us.

I recall them being apologetic for the word crusade.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #708
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Seems to me that Obama and his reverend’s sound bite of “GOD DAMM AMERICA” Wright did more to move people away from organized religion than Bush did in 8 years.
The people you're listening to are speaking in dog-whistle language, and the rest of us can't hear it. Why on earth would 10 seconds of one preacher's message give anyone cause to question their religious affiliation? If they abandon it for Rev. Wright, the message was surely not very important or meaningful for them in the first place. Whomever fed you this particular line of bullshit, stop paying attention to them.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #709
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
So he said it in dog-whistle language, and you're the dog. The rest of us didn't hear it, so it didn't happen for us.
They had you with 24 hour cable news. Different whistles for different dogs.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #710
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The people you're listening to are speaking in dog-whistle language, and the rest of us can't hear it. Why on earth would 10 seconds of one preacher's message give anyone cause to question their religious affiliation? If they abandon it for Rev. Wright, the message was surely not very important or meaningful for them in the first place. Whomever fed you this particular line of bullshit, stop paying attention to them.
Well I guess Obama is full of shit. Maybe I should pay less attention to him. He clearly severed his ties to the church because of this politically damaging statement.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #711
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

He severed ties to one church, not the church.

If a fact needs spinning, it is probably false on its face.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #712
TheMercenary

No doubt.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #713
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Then why'd you bring it up, Merc?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #714
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #715
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Then why'd you bring it up, Merc?
Gutteral response as an opposit extreme view of those who believe there is something bigger to it, like those who believe there is a religious element to Warrior Ethics.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #716
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Further, I would state that there have been three widespread expose's of hardcore religious infiltration of the military. 1) The Air Force Academy. 2) A bunch of high ranking generals involved in a quasi-military religious organization. 3) A recent article in Harpers that summarized some of the previous as well as some investigative reporting. I only heard about the last one because my brother, a hard core Obama worshiper, sent me the mag. It really was a pretty interesting read. Most of it was quite believable. The problem is I really don't know anyone who ever felt the way the investigator tried to portray members on active duty and their religious affiliation. I never heard much about religion. Even in the military it remains a pretty personal thing. It is not like there are a bunch of Jesus Freaks running around invoking GOD/Lord/Jesus on the way to battle. But when you deploy you tend to get close to God, in whatever sense that means to you, or spiritual. Funny the way the possibility of death will do that to you. Anyway, I also spent a fair amount of time around people of the 05-09 level on a fairly regular basis and I just don't ever recall hearing someone invoke GOD or something else as a motivation for impending military operations, other than the usual prayer by a Chaplin (mostly non-denominational). Maybe Reg Joe, Caphowdy, or some others with military experience during the Bush years could share and confirm or deny similar experiences. I am just one person with one experience, although it was an intense one for the last 9 years of my service. So I would be interested to hear what others have to say on the issue. I just never saw religion being invoked or high jacked to pursue activities in TWOT, Iraq or Afgan deployment activities. Every time I read something about it or a comment I am more convinced that it is another wedge that the liberal-left has used to solidify Bush Hate when really it was a non-issue.
OK, not the military necessarily, but have you heard the news about Blackwater and Eric Prince? Apparently he sees himself as some big crusader, like, in the original sense of the word.

"...The affidavits also claim that Mr Prince smuggled weapons into Iraq and that he “views himself as a Christian crusader tasked with eliminating Muslims and the Islamic faith from the globe...”
http://www.economist.com/world/unite...ry_id=14291547
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #717
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

check this out......
http://la-gun.com/manning/obama3/
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #718
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
On another note about the liberal press, why did they hide the guys race? I never even new the guy carrying was black until I saw a pic on the web but yet it was talked about for days on end.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/gg...nt-a-race-war/
humph. Well, I didn't see that particular segment, but I do watch MSNBC all the time, and on the shows I watch, they most certainly DID show the guy's face and his race. Still, I agree that a LOT of the anger out there IS because we have a black man as president, and a lot of the animosity IS race driven.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #719
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
I do watch MSNBC all the time,
Biased as all get out information isn't really information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop
I agree that a LOT of the anger out there IS because we have a black man as president, and a lot of the animosity IS race driven.
Bullshit - only among the uninformed/ignorant. Stop being such a patsy to the extremists.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #720
sugarpop
Professor

I didn't say MSNBC is ALL I watch, just that I watch it a lot. I also watch other news sources, and read different news magazines. I even watch FOX sometimes when I can stomach it.

And I am not being a patsy to anyone, I am calling it like I see it.