The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Thoughts on the new Super Congress

First off, I am neither a Democrat or a Republican but an independent. I feel as though I am a centrist but I tend to be more conservative on fiscal issues and lean liberal on social ones.

This whole new Super Congress really bothers me; I even question whether it is constitutional or not. And I feel that the creation of this one to handle such important fiscal policy is a real dereliction of duty by all of the politicians who supported it's creation. Our legislators have a job to do. All of them. Together. If they can’t manage to do the job they were elected to do, and do it in accordance with the Constitution they are sworn to uphold, there will be a lot of incumbents booted out of office hopefully the next time around.

Here are other aspects that bother me:

12 individuals, 6 from each party and each group of 6 has 3 from the Senate and 3 from the House. That just seems to fly in the face of the demographics and the will of the people. I mean House and the Senate have never been divided equally; whether we like it or not one party ends up with a majority! And proportionately the Senate has 100 members and the House has 435 so how is 6 and 6 even remotely close to the Congressional structure.

And the whole concept that the party heads, Reid, McConnell, Pilosi and Boehner pick the members is nuts. Yet these 4 leaders who have failed so miserably in leadership are free to pick the committee members. How about the parties get to vote for the members? Or the members get to apply for the job and tell why they should be chosen, like maybe they can see beyond party politics and political gains and actually agree to work together for the good of the nation?

And then there is the makeup of the group. 11 men and 1 woman... 10 white people and 1 Hispanic American and 1 African American. So basically 9 white men and 3 minority members. What kind of representation is that? And what about the states they represent? Arizona, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan (x2), Montana, South Carolina, Texas and Washington. Eleven states of varying sized populations and demographics? And to top it all off, the 6 Republicans have all signed the Grover Norquist anti tax pledge. Oh, I'm just so sure these guys are going to really try to overcome preconceived ideology and work for the common good.

I just wish someone or some group would file a challenge to this whole concept and fast track it to the Supreme Court. ARGHAHHHHA
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
glatt

sausage making. It's pretty disgusting.

we need Hercules to divert a river through the capitol to wash them all out so we can start over.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
SamIam

All they're doing is putting off the inevitable. That group will deadlock just like the congress which created it did. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Thing is, we had the "Gang of Six" lay out a plan already. It appeared to be a workable compromise that could have gotten us headed in the right direction. This new group will be all smoke and no fire, because they've all pledged to do nothing. This is turning into a situation that a 1930's style fascist would love.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
This is turning into a situation that a 1930's style fascist would love.
Yeah, where's Hitler when we need him?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Surfing pron on the interwebs?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Yeah, where's Hitler when we need him?
He has a show on Fox.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Thing is, we had the "Gang of Six" lay out a plan already. It appeared to be a workable compromise that could have gotten us headed in the right direction. This new group will be all smoke and no fire, because they've all pledged to do nothing. This is turning into a situation that a 1930's style fascist would love.
Meanwhile my own government is discussing the possibility of being able to close down social media during times of civil unrest.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

My thoughts: WTF? Aren't these the same people who claim that Obama is trying ruin the constitution and take over the whole government every time he sneezes?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Meanwhile my own government is discussing the possibility of being able to close down social media during times of civil unrest.
I have to admit, that's some fucked up shit, our government is trying to make it law that our ISP keeps a record of our browsing/Internet usage to hand over to them on request. I'll find a link when I get home.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Ya'll have quite the surveillance society built up as well.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Thing is, we had the "Gang of Six" lay out a plan already.
And we had the Simpson Bowles report but wise ass Simpson kept shouting out all the crap about AARP and the Social Security/milk cow metaphor that it kind of overshadowed the report.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Yes, I saw that yesterday. Kind of amusing as democracies in the West castigate China or the countries in the Middle East that do that kind of thing when they have street protests inspired by social media links. Kind of a slippery slope that the Conservative are treading on I think.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
morethanpretty

Thought police is just one step away....
Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

...or this one.