The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the upcoming election?
Still undecided 2 3.85%
Bush 12 23.08%
Kerry 28 53.85%
Other 8 15.38%
Why bother? I'm not going to vote. 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
glatt

Who do you plan to vote for?

Let's say the election was today. Who would you vote for? Some of you have already said, but many haven't.

You can vote anonymously in the poll without leaving a comment if you want.

Oh, and if you aren't eligible to vote in a US election, please don't use the poll, but feel free to post any comments.

Last edited by glatt; 09-16-2004 at 09:53 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

Like i've said before. Bush isn't America's best choice, but he is the best choice of the available options.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I still need to do some more research. It's kinda difficult to get past all the hype and soundbytes. I want to see what anyone in the race other than Bush or Kerry are saying.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

This year's election really helps me to identify with Aron Ralston, the dude who had to amputate his own arm to save his life. I feel like I can either hack my arm off with a pocket knife and cut my losses (Kerry), or lay on the canyon floor in misery and despair until I eventually die of exposure (Bush). Sure, nobody actually wants to amputate their own arm, but when you look at the only viable alternative, it suddenly doesn't look so bad...
Old 09-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
Like i've said before. Bush isn't America's best choice, but he is the best choice of the available options.
So you advocate the destruction of free trade? If using emotions, then one will conclude that George Jr is a free trader. Facts say completely different. The US is having record numbers of decisions imposed against it by the WTO. The tarriffs to protect anti-American steel companies (USX, Bethlehem Steel, etc) was an outright violation of free trade; not based upon economic data. That attempt to get steel votes also undermined one of America's most productive industries - the America steel reprocessing industry - resulting in a loss estimated at between 20,000 and 40,000 American jobs.

Bush has a long list of facts against him. Free trade is but one example. George Jr opposes free trade. Having completely undermined the WTO conference in Mexico resulting in most nations walking out days early. Many actually 'feel' George Jr advocated free trade. The facts repeatedly say different.

When you look George Jr, do you see his propaganda as lookout123 apparently does? Or do you be blunt and politically incorrect as I am - to learn the real facts. Facts-
Quote:
from The Economist of 4 Sept 2004
If has been a rough summer at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) for America's trade officials. Recently the arbiter of global trade rules has ruled against them in cases from cotton subsidies to Canadian lumber. Now the Geneva body has also meted out punishment. On August 31st, a WTO arbitration panel ruled that eight of the organisation's members, including the European Union, could impose tariffs ... on Amerian goods, because America has failed to repeal a law that the WTO first deemed illegal in 2000.
Do you believe in world free trade? Are you employed by a steel reprocessing company (ie machine shop)? Then you must hate George Jr. This is not widely known because too many naively think George Jr is a free trader. Even the advantages of NAFTA has been stifled by George Jr, in part, because his 'so called' good friend and president in Mexico opposed the war in Iraq.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The poll should have Badnarik in it. Michael Badnarik is by far the best choice of every candidate running.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #7
marichiko

Kerry's campaign managers have decided to not even spend the money on TV advertising in Colorado. This tells me that at least SOMEONE in his group has some common sense. Colorado is hardly a swing state and what few votes it has in the electoral college inevitably go to the republicans in presidential elections. I will vote in the upcoming election because I want to support my local democratic state representative who is facing a major battle with a wealthy republican candidate. I wouldn't vote for Bush in a million years, and I'm unhappy with Kerry. If I thought it mattered, I WOULD vote for Kerrry, however. Since it doesn't, I'll show my displeasure by writing in the name of someone on my presidential ballot - maybe Bill, The Cat of Bloom County fame.

Last edited by marichiko; 09-16-2004 at 06:43 PM. Reason: duh, that's BLOOM, not BloomsBURG!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe you don't think it will count but maybe if enough elections have disparity between the popular vote and the electoral college, something will get done about it.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Kerry's campaign managers have decided to not even spend the money on TV advertising in Colorado. This tells me that at least SOMEONE in his group has some common sense. Colorado is hardly a swing state and what few votes it has in the electoral college inevitably go to the republicans in presidential elections.
Actually the Economist has been doing a study of swing states, one by one, for months now. Colorado was listed as a swing state.

Pennsylvannia is listed as about as close as one can get. PA still uses punch hole ballots.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
lookout123
changed his status to single

It's not over 'til the fat lady sings...

The election is still 45+ days, 2 debates, and 400,000,000 tons of mudslinging away but the electoral count as of today is

Bush: 311
Kerry: 223

i guess bringing the Clinton team on didn't inspire that many people. i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

link
Old 09-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Actually the Economist has been doing a study of swing states, one by one, for months now. Colorado was listed as a swing state.

Pennsylvannia is listed as about as close as one can get. PA still uses punch hole ballots.
I'm glad to hear that Colorado is coming up in the world. I suppose this means that I'll have to follow the state polls and see if there's a snowball's chance in hell that the Republican stranglehold on the state is weakening. I am not overly optimistic about this, nor about the possibility of electoral college reform. The idea has been bandied about as long as I've been old enough to vote (i.e. a LONG time!) with no change thus far.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
marichiko

Thursday September 16, 2004--The Rasmussen Reports Presidential Tracking Poll shows President George W. Bush with 49% of the vote and Senator John Kerry with 45%. The Tracking Poll is updated daily by noon Eastern. I also discovered that the most recent polls show Colorado split at 47% Kerry, 47% Bush. Hmmmm... this just might get interesting. I may not write in Bill the Cat after all.

Last edited by marichiko; 09-16-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #13
garnet

I'm still voting for Kerry, although I'm disappointed with how he's run his campaign. I have the sick feeling already that George W. is going to win, but I am hoping that sick feeling will go away soon.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:03 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
The poll should have Badnarik in it. Michael Badnarik is by far the best choice of every candidate running.
That's where I stand now. If Kerry were to step up on the war issues I could be convinced but as long as he maintains a traditional Dem pessimism campaign... Man I want Bush out.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:39 AM   #15
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
The election is still 45+ days, 2 debates, and 400,000,000 tons of mudslinging away...
I'd like to see the candidates use these two debates to talk about issues that are important to ME. Up to now, neither Bush nor Kerry have really gone into depth about the issues that I really care about. I really don't care what kind of war record someone has. Military experience != ability to run a country. It would if the military controlled everything in the country but it doesn't. We (in theory) control the military. So Kerry has three Purple Hearts; kudos, but what does that have anything to do with how Kerry could, for example, fix the broken wagon that is healthcare here at home? And how does Bush's alleged National Guard experience make him someone who has a good idea how to manage the SS balloon that is very close to running out of air? My future as I see it has much less to do with what's going on on the other side of the world and much more to do with what's going on here in my backyard (especially since DC itself's a hefting stone's throw away from me). Much of the discussion has been about ultimately irrelevant points in Kerry's and Bush's personal histories and about bad-mouthing and belittling the other party and it's manner of thinking. Both sides need to come off that and talk about real issues.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote