The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-24-2003, 11:14 AM   #1
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Everquest!!!

Help! It's sucking me back in! I can feel it! It wants me back...I know it does. It talks to me in my dreams. It tells me of the things I can do, of the friends who still play, of the worlds I have yet to visit and the foes I have yet to slay...I cannot resist!

Did I mention that this is the worst xmas ever? It really is...EQ is just my drug of choice when life pisses me off.

Anyway...anyone here play it? on Mith Marr? Intersted in starting up again? At 6 hours a day+? Anyone? No? Hmm...
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Repeat after me:

Nothing good can come of this.

That's "nothing" with a capital N and a capital OTHING.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
FileNotFound

What? Impossbile!

Think of all the LOOT!!! The adventure!

Oh what else could I do?

Me (Shadowstump) next to a dead thingy

http://www.chronology-guild.org/imag...d-20021213.jpg
Old 12-24-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Dark Age. Dark Age of Camelot.....
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
FileNotFound

DAoC is WEAK!

It's only got 50 levels! The raids are a joke and it's EASY!

I laugh at easy games! If the game never made me cry, shiver and squeal in angush, I don't want it!

Seriously though, you get WAY more dmg just from leveling up and using the same horrible gear. In EQ you can't get to high levels on shit gear. Nevermind the fact that DAoC community is far weaker than the EQ one. But thats a personal opinion so don't start ranting of that.

The fact that the enitre world of DAoC is LESS than ONE of EQ's 6th expansions with the seventh on the way.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Well, true, DAoC is level 50 limited.

And also true that Dark Age of Camelot + Shrouded Isles + Trials of Atlantis is smaller than the world of EQ.

However....after having played EQ and hating it, and showing my husband (who has a couple high levels in EQ and was an EQ freak) the wonders of DA, he likes it better than EQ.

And if you think Raids are easy, I dare you to take out Golestandt with 2 full groups.

Edit: post 801!!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:37 PM   #7
FileNotFound

Oh sure whatever with two groups...

Any game can be made tough with enough limits. It's like saying "Well Naggy is easy" "Yeah? You think so? Bet you can't solo him!!!"

I tried DAoC but I could never get used to the cartoony gfx, the cheesy raids, they are cheesy and zergs most of the time and the 'care bear' style of the game.

Admitedly EQ has become more and more of a 'care bear' heaven over time, but it's still nothing like DAoC.

There is a far greater range of 'uberness' in EQ than in DAoC. Far more 'uber' things to do and far more 'uber' gear to get. I must have it. It's a good distraction from life, keeps my mind of other crap that'd piss me off.

Too bad I'm almost naked...thank god for No Drop items...

Plus I just don't think DAoC has the 'scale' of EQ:
http://www.chronology-guild.org/imag...d-20030111.jpg

- Semtex is a RL friend of mine whom I'm now busily luring back into EQ with false promises of happy times to come...

Last edited by FileNotFound; 12-24-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:44 PM   #8
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Yeah, but EQ players are rude and generally don't help people. I walked around Kelenith (? the elven tree city) for no less than 4 hours, asking everyone what the hell I was supposed to do. More often than not, I was told to box the game up and take it back to the store.

So I did.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #9
FileNotFound

That depends on the server.

Some servers are just KNOWN for being packed full of noobs and jerks.

Now this MAY sound lame...but it's true. EQ servers tend to be named after 'gods' of the game, and gods in EQ are gods of 'something'. For example the Zeks are various gods of war and PVP servers are all some sort of Zek.
Bertoxxious is the god of disease and ppl on that server often are idiots. On the server I play on Mith Marr, god of justice, love and truth....people cyber..a lot....and then cyber some more...umm...but overall are very nice.

I have had VERY few nasty experiences in EQ.

At the same time, you WILL get treated like worthless shit if you come into EQ and ask things that you 'should' know from the manual.

Also, EQ has become MUCH more noob friendly and you get XP at about 3 times the rate you used to. It really pisses off the 'old timers' - the guys who got to 60 back in the days of Kunark and it took them months. Now you can do 0 - 60 in 2 months without ANY powelevling.

I personaly felt that the DAoC crowd had a far lower maturity level. Many seemed to be the Diablo crowd, as in 15-26 while EQ avg is 30ish.

And Umm...you can't return EQ.

Last edited by FileNotFound; 12-24-2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:07 PM   #10
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
Now you can do 0 - 60 in 2 months without ANY powelevling.
Where is the fun in that? That's way too easy. I want to feel like I earned my levels. Yes, there ARE some people who can get to level 50 in 4 months, but this is flying, and using powerlevels at every opportunity. And now with ToA, Master Levels are making 40-50 a whole new experience. A 50 Friar with certain MA is nothing like a 50 Friar with a different set of MA. It adds scope and customization to the game.

I think if you haven't tried DA in a while you should pick it up. I've alredy promised my husband we'll pick up EQ2. Although I told him I'm only using the Trial month, since I want to get all 30 DAOC characters (10 per realm) to level 50.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
Torrere
a real smartass

My first thought: Everquest! My god! Why would anyone want to spend even more hours staring at a computer!?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:33 PM   #12
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Re: Everquest!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
[b]Help! It's sucking me back in! I can feel it! It wants me back...I know it does. It talks to me in my dreams. It tells me of the things I can do, of the friends who still play, of the worlds I have yet to visit and the foes I have yet to slay...I cannot resist!
Repeat after me.

Hi, I'm FileNotFound, and I am an addict. I am powerless over Everquest and my life has become unmanageable. I am not responsible for my addition, but I am responsible for my recovery.

Recognizing the problem is the first step. You can't do this alone; you need support. I'm here for you.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 PM   #13
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I have seen people like FNF... back when such games were called "MUDs" and were all-text and were free of charge.

It wasn't a pretty sight then, either.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:59 PM   #14
FileNotFound

It's not a problem!

I can quit any time! I did back in Feb. I can do it again.

I just don't want to right now...not for the next two years.

Well...in truth I quit then because of my gf, see I wanted to have more time for her. So I gave up EQ, gave away my gear, quit my guild. Stepped away from the PC and never looked back.

Today I stepped away from my gf because I came to realize that I'd never really manage to get along with her in a trully meaningful relationship. Considering that this is the girl that I've been crazy about since the age of 7 this came as a bit of a shock to me and I figure something as distracting/addiciting as EQ will get my mind of it for a year or two.

Last edited by FileNotFound; 12-24-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #15
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

So might a different girl, and she'd probably be cheaper in the long run.