The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-23-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Steak, there's nuthin' better

I'm gonna get in trouble with That Guy here. I just got done puncturing 3 sirloins with a fork. I have a legal excuse. I'm making Adobo Sirloin for the first time. I forked the steaks to allow the sauce in for a two hour marinade. The marinade is made with-

1 lime
1 tsp garlic minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
3 tbl chopped chipotle peppers and adobe sauce (from a can)
salt and pepper

This will make up for the vegetarian I made last night..... hmmm another food thread? That might be a tough sell at the Cellar.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:30 PM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

uh. whats adobe sauce? the rest of the marinade sounds great.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

side of the Goya can- chipotle peppers, water, tomato paste. jalepeno peppers, vinegar, spices, salt, sugar, safflower oil onions, and garlic oil.

A guess at the unnamed spices based on Goya Adobo seasoning powder- garlic, salt, oregano, black pepper, and tumeric
Old 04-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #4
Cam
dripping with ignorance

It takes a lot to ruin a decent steak, pretty much have to throw it in a tub of gasoline to make it inedible.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

You don't need to puncture steak to let it marinade. Lime juuice is very acidic and will start the protein-breaking process right away, thus getting the delicious falvors into the meat.

Pick up a copy of Kitchen Essentials (I think that's the name, but I'll check again). He explains many of these concepts in depth.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Mmmmmm... carmelized beef. God must want us to eat cows... otherwise, why the hell would He have made them out of steak?
Old 04-23-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have SOOO got to go buy some charcoal and scrape the worst of the rust off the grill. The George Forman just does not compare. There's something about seeing the flames spurt up and apply the carcinogens directly to the meat ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #8
Jakeline
Disorderly Orderly

Mmmm.. beefy carcinogens....

On a side note, I went to a farmer's market tonight. There was a vendor grilling and selling tri-tip sandwiches. I noticed that he had some small pieces of meat set aside. I asked him if they were samples, and he replied, "Samples? No, they're bait."

I'll be damned if he wasn't right. The meat was *wonderful* and I had an excellent sandwich.
Jakeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:10 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Perforated or not that was great steak done over charcoal. The leftovers (trying to show restraint) will become some yummy fajitas.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:26 AM   #10
That Guy

Glad to hear your stuff turned out (even though you tried to ruin it ). I'll mark the recipe.

I talked the butcher into cutting some t-bones for me the other day, as the ones pre-cut in the case looked a bit thin to my liking. He cut these from a little further up, and I'll be damned if they aren't edging on Porterhouses, and at 1-1/4" thick, they should be quite yummy for Friday steak-night.

The marinade:
pound in some garlic powder, pepper, and meat tenderizer
pour on some Lea & Perrins
refrigerate at least over night, preferably two nights
pull out of fridge at least 1 hour prior to cooking
add 1T beerverege of your choice per steak

Last edited by That Guy; 04-24-2003 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:13 AM   #11
dave

That Guy needs to cook me some steak next time I'm in Texas. Jesus that sounds good.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:55 AM   #12
That Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
That Guy needs to cook me some steak next time I'm in Texas. Jesus that sounds good.
Bring it on! But I also make a point to bring newbies to The Salt Lick.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:05 AM   #13
dave

(Problem being, I'm never in Texas. But I just might have to take a road trip with some friends next time I'm in Mississippi. Salivating just thinking about it. Good lord. And Salt Lick sounds good too.)
Old 04-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #14
dave

Our eating tradition is generally something like this in Jackson:

Friday morning/afternoon - I arrive, Scott picks me up at the airport and we go to this great family-owned barbeque place called The Hickory Pit. They have some great steak fries and their pulled pork sandwiches are superb. And their sweet tea... just the right sweetness. Plus they have that whole "southern hospitality" thing down. The first time I was there, I asked the girl if I could get an extra cup of ice to munch on. She said "sure" and gave me one. I said "what do I owe you?" and she says "a smile." Jesus, how could you not smile at that?

Friday night - Outback. Lots of bloomin' onion, lots of cheese fries, lots of steak. All seven of us go and it's a hell of a time. We probably waste two and a half hours just eating and shootin' the shit. I forget the name of the steak, but I usually go for the one that has the horseradish-type sauce with it. Good lord it's tasty.

Saturday morning - Eggs, bacon, sausage and biscuits. Scott and Jarod fry up a ton of 'em and the three of us eat like kings, watching TV and playing some Quake (yeah, these are my Quake buddies).

Saturday lunch - typically just some sandwiches with the three of us. Sometimes one of the others will drop by. BLT, that sort of thing. Lots of Doritos. This is our one slacker meal.

Saturday dinner - porkchops. Jarod makes a mean porkchop. These have been marinating a full 24 hours in whatever the hell he marinates them in. I think italian dressing (the oily clear type) is involved. I have eaten a LOT of porkchops, and these are the best I've ever had. I'd go so far as to say that they were perfect. Grilled just right. Man... this is when the Country Pleasin' Sausage comes in too. They have this place down there called Country Pleasin' Sausage and man... despite the name, it is quite tasty.

Sunday breakfast - same as Saturday. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sunday lunch - okay, two slacker meals. More sandwiches.

Sunday dinner - something like Chili's. Chicken fingers rule.

Monday breakfast - rise early and at least five of us meet up at Chick-Fil-A for chicken sandwiches. Then they break for work, but Scott and I hit

Monday lunch - my last meal in Mississippi. We complete the circle and head back to the Hickory Pit. It's a great way to end a long weekend.

I tell you what, I don't care for many places, but I really like Jackson. I think it's 'cause I've got such great friends there, but also because the people are so much more friendly. If Jenni and I ever split, I'm packin' up and movin'.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #15
That Guy

I must admit that I have an affinity for Rudy's as well. But that's another thread at another time.