The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

skewed ideologies = cultish brainwashing ?

Are skewed ideologies cultish brainwashing ?

Like religious fanatics, and other cult like peoples.

This is evident by the totalitarian nature for their thinking processes and unacceptance of others cultures rules and ideologies.

They will argue and use coercion to make many that you are wrong in your thinking if you do not conform. Others will come in to support the skewed thinking and attempt to psychologically put down any resistance.

One person's screwed up thinking might just make him/her a screwball but when others always come in to support something that is by common sense regarded as wrong it crosses the line into cultish behavior and brainwashing. So much so that people begin to believe a lie.

Facts:

CULT n.
Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

A destructive cult tends to be totalitarian in its control of its members' behavior

A destructive cult tends to have an ethical double standard
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh damn.....some people will be very upset to learn I'm not allowed to worship them any more.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

hehehe! That's funny Bruce.

Or how about:

ooops My godessness is showing.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Christianity is a Messianic Martyr/Death Cult. These have been pretty common in the last few millenia.

"When you see the finger pointing at the moon, GO WHERE IT IS POINTING. Don't worship the FINGER, and what ever you do, don't suck it for comfort."

Most modern Christians are worshipping the finger, and the Fundamentalists are sucking it for comfort.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

There is an excellent article in my local paper by Rev. Heiss a local United Methodist minister. He was lamenting not being comfortable wearing a cross on his lapel anymore. To him (and me for that matter), being Christian means being non-judgemental, recognizing and addressing our own weaknesses and faults, and accepting people for who they are. The fundies have changed that. You see a cross and you think politicized oppressor, hater of science, hater of open discussion, and hater of others. Real Christians are afraid to speak up now because they will be whacked by the fundies for being too flexible and by the secularists for worshiping along side closed minded haters. When people attack the Church with justification, on sexual abuse etc.., I don't defend the indefensible. Unfortunately, we are at the point where Christians are not comfortable defending their core beliefs from unjustified attacks because their beliefs are so different from the high profile hate mongers who claim to be Christian leaders.

Anyway, I'm hoping that we'll see a shift of religion from the public to the private sphere. Hopefully, folks will learn to pull back from the political power which makes religion dangerous not uplifting.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
robsterman1
A worldly dude

Scientology is another example of a woo-woo cult where people are brainwashed into believing they can go "clear"...only after paying loads of money on auditing. many of the tenets of Scientology are total hokum.

Anything I should add?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Katie Holmes kid is in big trouble?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
There is an excellent article in my local paper by Rev. Heiss a local United Methodist minister. He was lamenting not being comfortable wearing a cross on his lapel anymore. To him (and me for that matter), being Christian means being non-judgemental, recognizing and addressing our own weaknesses and faults, and accepting people for who they are. The fundies have changed that. You see a cross and you think politicized oppressor, hater of science, hater of open discussion, and hater of others. Real Christians are afraid to speak up now because they will be whacked by the fundies for being too flexible and by the secularists for worshiping along side closed minded haters. When people attack the Church with justification, on sexual abuse etc.., I don't defend the indefensible. Unfortunately, we are at the point where Christians are not comfortable defending their core beliefs from unjustified attacks because their beliefs are so different from the high profile hate mongers who claim to be Christian leaders.

Anyway, I'm hoping that we'll see a shift of religion from the public to the private sphere. Hopefully, folks will learn to pull back from the political power which makes religion dangerous not uplifting.
Couldn't agree more, Griff. My father, uncle, and grandmother were Christians of the most decent kind. They were genuinely spiritual people who felt a concern for others and beleived in God. These days when I mention my background being raised by these good Christian people, I feel defensive. I always have to add, "but they weren't closed minded, Bible thumping fundies." True Christians need to have the courage to speak up.

If you ask me, the Christian fundamentalist movement is the anti-Christ in more ways than one.