Old 11-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

He had rabies in his chifforobe!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The fellow in the OP is the head of the GOP party in the state of Maine. How clueless can this man be? True, he has apologized, and it seems a real apology, not just I'm sorry if you were hurt --non-apology. Good.

But that he was so removed from reality that he was shocked, shocked I say, by dozens and dozens of black people voting that once out of office as GOP Chairman for Maine that he intended to use his own money to send follow up postcards to the surprise voters and see if and where they were delivered is a public confession of ignorance so vast that it seems irresponsible to have him in a position of influence or authority. Really. You're gonna send post cards to dozens and dozens of voters to track them down? How are you going to know which of the names on the lists of those who voted belong to black people Nancy Drew? Hm? Or are you just going to send postcards to everyone and include a census style questionnaire on the back? Logistically, I don't see how his plan cold work. Politically, I think it's a completely stupid thing to have said.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
SamIam

Maybe he could just send cards to people with first names like Jayden, Xavier, Zion, Neveah, Makayla, Imani, Isis and other popular African American names as determined by the states of Colorado, Arkansas, and Texas which keep tabs on such things. No doubt Maine should start keeping lists of popular names by ethnicity as well in order to keep an eye on its black voters.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Profile much?

So, do you have a cite for your assertion that there are state managed lists of first names by ethnicity? That seems to be what you're implying. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What the fool in the OP was suggesting was voter fraud. If he believes that, then he should make a real case for it. I've read his apology, and I think it was sincere. I think he spoke rashly, having a shock to his system by the news of Romney's loss. He was experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms when the Republican Kool-Aid turned out to be just water.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #35
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Profile much?

So, do you have a cite for your assertion that there are state managed lists of first names by ethnicity? That seems to be what you're implying. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Seems that this is a paraphrase of the statement made at the website you will find on your monitor when you click the link in the post... maybe take it up with them? There is a 'contact us' link, here: http://www.babycenter.com/help-contactus
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #36
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

A black kid named Zion?

Double whammy.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #37
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
C'mon, where's your Rasta Roots daughter? Haile Selassie, the Lion of Zion
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #38
SamIam

Quote:
Profile much?

I wasnt implying anything. According to the link I provided in my post, not only do those 3 states keep tabs on popular names by ethnicity, New York City does as well. I have no idea why they do this. In the case of Colorado, I consider this to be a waste of tax payer dollars - like why should anyone care?

Lighten up, already.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #39
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Profile much?
What the fool in the OP was suggesting was voter fraud. If he believes that, then he should make a real case for it. I've read his apology, and I think it was sincere. I think he spoke rashly, having a shock to his system by the news of Romney's loss. He was experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms when the Republican Kool-Aid turned out to be just water.
Considering this guy is a Republican and was rooting for Romney, I wonder how much more a shock to his system it would be when he finds out that not all black people vote Democrat.

It'd be hilarious if he goes on his Fact Finding/Voter Fraud-Exposing mission and found out that a sizable portion of these 'mystery black people' actually voted for Romney. I'll betcha he wouldn't think it's as big a problem as he's trying to make it.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If these black people show up by "the hundreds" to vote, don't the election people check to see if they are on the rolls before allowing them to vote?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #41
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

It was only dozens. Had it been hundreds I'm sure they would have activated the National Guard.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #42
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Yeah, i know.

Somewhere in these vast pages I've lamented the loss of gregory peck. When he died i called my mom and wailed 'atticus died.'
Gregory Peck was always one of my fav actors as well.

"Mockkingbird" is being shown on AMC tonight. I'd forgotten that the movie was in black and white. And the housekeeper for the Finch family was a black woman named "Calpurnia."

Like the poor, profiling is always with us.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I was surprised to see a bunch of women voting. Like they would know anything about politics. They should have stayed home and cooked
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #44
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Romney/Ryan feels your shocked surprise.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #45
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
I was surprised to see a bunch of women voting. Like they would know anything about politics. They should have stayed home and cooked
I know. That whole suffragette thing was a slippery slope.