The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
beauregaardhooligan
Elite Elitist

Flu shot, or not?

I've been hearing all kinds of stories, allegations, and advice.
I'm curious what y'all think.
Do they work?
Do they make you sick?
What is your experience?
What have you been told?
beauregaardhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

I get it. No big deal.
theotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Cloud

I'm over 50, so yeah, I get it. I've had the flu and it SUCKs.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Flu shots are provided free by my company (I did not follow one of Fathers pearls of wisdom and therefore have two), so I had them a couple of years, and each year got a terrible dose of flu around mid January, the next couple of years when I didn't get the shot, no flu.

I don't know about correlation and causation, but I won't be getting one again this year.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I got a flu shot provided by my work and not a week later everyone that did not get one in my bay got sick with it. (years ago) I wasn't sure at the time either wether it made any difference, but now I think it works. I really needed the hours and not to be sick with anything, so I am gald I did it.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

I get one every year -no flu, kids don't -no flu, we live with Beest....

sorry, not much help are we?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Had it once. Got the flu two days later. Never had the shot or the flu before or since.

They gave it to my son last winter along with several other vaccinations. He did not get the flu.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
glatt

I don't think I've ever had the flu. Some years I get the shot, and some years I don't. Maybe it works, maybe not. But I did just see a commercial for the shot the other day. The drug company is trying to generate a little demand.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I don't think I've ever had the flu. Some years I get the shot, and some years I don't. Maybe it works, maybe not.
I've had it once in my life and I don't get the shots. I've heard a lot of people say they get the flu every year unless they get the shot, but I can only guess that these people seem to think they've got the flu when it is really nothing more than a bad cold.

Hint: unless you have a temp above 103F, are sick for a full week, are rendered completely immobile by the illness and cannot leave bed, and start thinking you'd prefer death by day three then you probably don't have the flu.

I remember the chills of a 104F fever (arms shook so much I couldn't write legibly) and can tell you that there is a reason you "catch a cold" versus "having the flu". It is misery like no other and fully deserves the title.

My old roommate, who has never actually caught the illness, used to complain several times a year that he had the flu when he only saw a peak fever of 101F. He'd walk around achy, sniffling, whining that he was too sick to go to work. Lucky bastard.

If you do catch it, I found it was better to let the damn thing run its course: burrito up in piles of blankets, take hot baths, drink warm beverages. Let the fever soar and burn it off -- you'll suffer many fewer days than someone who keeps their fever down with medication.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Cloud

yeah, the real influenza is unmistakable and BAD. that's bad, bad, bad. You feel soooo sick, and the real kicker is the weeks of enervation following. If a shot can possibly eliminate the risk or reduce the symptoms, it's worth it.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
jester
why so serious

I've never received a flu shot and so far, haven't had the flu either. But, now that I've posted this....Last year and the year before, there was a shortage here, and the flu season was severe, so they were encouraging only the elderly and those who were "susceptible" to go ahead and have the shot. They were also offering the "flu-mist" to kids in school, with a parents permission, because so many were missing and some schools were closing.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I've never had a flu shot, and I've never had the flu that I'd say was the flu. I've had some bad colds in my time, and I once had pneumonia which I didn't realize I had till my mum made me go to the doc about, but I don't like going to the doctor for one thing, and I believe in a healthy lifestyle and to a degree, natural immunity to these sorts of things. Also, I like others here have heard some bad stuff about flu shots.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I just got my second reminder to go and get a flu shot at my GP's clinic. I get them (reminders) every year. As I mentioned in the other vaccine thread, I've had it a couple of times and the first time I had it coincided with a really bad dose of flu. No idea if the there is any causal relationship there, or indeed if the dose of flu I got was less severe than it might have been...I don't really know how this shit works *grins*

My doctor keeps trying to get me to have them because I'm in an 'at risk' category. I am still completely undecided as to whether or not they're a good thing. I just end up having it some years and not having it other years. Didn't get one last year and probably won't this year.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #14
rkzenrage

Once. Never again unless it is nonvirulent, and they save those for other people, so no.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
beauregaardhooligan
Elite Elitist

From what I understand, the *flu* shot is just for the particular strain that *they* think will be most virulent in any particular year.
The shot you got last year may not be the shot you get this year.
I just wonder how you can tell if it really works or not.
Also, has there ever been any bad re-actions / allergic reactions to the shot?
beauregaardhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote