The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-13-2002, 07:26 PM   #1
Leus
Abecedarian

Post El Dorado

Surely most of you knows/have heard of the legend of El Dorado. It was a man (The Gilded Man) that covered himself in gold in order to keep their family safe, who where maintained captives in the bottom of some lake by some fantastic monster. Or something like that.

The fact is that lots and lots of people traveled through South America in search of Manoa del Dorado, a mythical wealthy city, and his golden king. Even some wacky hollywood types located El Dorado in North America.

A few days ago, a couple of guys revealed that they have found El Dorado. El Prospecto Vulcano is a gigantic gold deposit located in my little and beautiful country, Chile. For those of you who can read spanish, there is a link.

Some numbers. The biggest gold mine right now is located in Indonesia, and have about 87 million ounces in its reserves. This newly found mine may have (get this) 33 billion ounces of gold, and should be able to be exploited for about four hundred years.

The cool part? These guys want to share part of their fortune with the poor people of my country, and they are going to create a foundation in order to accomplish this. Ya veremos.

(spelling/orthographic corrections welcome)
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: El Dorado

Quote:
Originally posted by Leus
Some numbers. The biggest gold mine right now is located in Indonesia, and have about 87 million ounces in its reserves. This newly found mine may have (get this) 33 billion ounces of gold, and should be able to be exploited for about four hundred years.
<P>Wow, that's a lot of gold.</P>
<P>I searched Google for the total amount of gold mined in all of human history and came up with<a href="http://www.21cec.com/gold"> about </a><a href="http://www.moles.org/ProjectUnderground/drillbits/7_07/vs.html">140,000 tons.</a> If the estimates of this new mine are correct, there will be a major change in the gold market as this is refined and hits the market.The Indonesian reserves (as large as they seem) only represent about 1/40th of the grand total.</P>
<P>According to my calculation, this new mine may produce 10 times more gold than has ever been mined in history.</P>
<P>3,360,000,000 troy oz. currently in circulation or has been mined, ever.(140,000(tons) x 2000(lbs) x 12(oz))</P>
<P>Chile may soon be the country that supposedly has streets of gold. Then they can stop all that silly drug trafficking. </P>

Last edited by slang; 12-13-2002 at 08:58 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

so much for anybody who has been hoarding gold as a hedge against inflation and fluctuations in the stock market.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
so much for anybody who has been hoarding gold as a hedge against inflation and fluctuations in the stock market.
(Glad I have prepared for this all along, by stockpiling "essential" supplies and equipment instead of gold, like the other nuts do. )

Last edited by slang; 12-13-2002 at 09:05 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:08 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ooh Baby ...

Where have you been all my life?!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-13-2002, 09:08 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The skeptical amongst us will sit back and wait.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:18 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
The skeptical amongst us will sit back and wait.
Thank you, cooler head, for prevailing ... there's nothing I can find on any of the major (or minor) newsservices about the strike. Surely someone would report something ... unless it's part of the vast conspiracy of the international gold cartel to keep prices arificially high ...

Old 12-13-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

A quick reading of the article cited tells us that what is known so far is that a geologist looked at a Landsat image and says he sees where gold is.

So now they're setting up a foundation to distribute the wealth to the deserving poor? I do hope they're not soliciting contributions for "seed money" or "start up costs". But somehow I bet they are...

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:12 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I hope he's not basing that guess on information gleaned by showing the landsat images to his psychic ...

Thanks for the info. Thank goodness for someone who reads Spanish.

I of course am fluent in Sanish and can manage more than fairly well in German.

Old 12-14-2002, 12:22 AM   #10
Leus
Abecedarian

Heh. A small list of "facts" about this for the spanish impaired.
  • The deposit was found using satellite, chopters and lots of "visual research".
  • The owners have formed a society, Compañía Minera Vulcano.
  • They have taken samples and looks good
  • They have, also, challenged to anyone who wants to have a look to do so.
  • They are searching for partners to start the explotation.
  • They haven't asked for cooperation to fund this hypothetical organization (yet...)
As I said before, ya veremos...

(Down here this are big news. Wonder why have been so little media coverage outside Chile...)

(all grammatic/orthographic corrections welcome)
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:58 AM   #11
MaggieL

Well, I found one other mention of this story at a Hungarian website. There's a picture of a nugget...but the idea that there's a huge deposit of gold here still seems to be pretty much based on interpretation of the Landsat images.

I suppose we shall see eventually. "Searching for partners to start the exploitation" is the key phrase.

Old 12-14-2002, 08:01 AM   #12
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I of course am fluent in Sanish and can manage more than fairly well in German.
I would've figured you more for fluency in Insanish:
Quote:
Nurse, I need some aspirin.
Oh, and could you loosen this strap here a bit. I'm okay with my arms being crossed, but it's just a hair too tight. Thanks. What's that? No, the walls are plenty soft.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:13 PM   #13
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by blowmeetheclown

I would've figured you more for fluency in Insanish
A common misconception. It's not

sanish : sane :: insanish : insane

Sanish is called "sanish" precicely because it *wants* to sound sane, but misses the mark. It is therefore only san-ish. It could also be called saniod, or pseudosane.

Old 12-14-2002, 09:48 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Maggie's pretty much right there ... you know, Sanish, like in kinda but not quite sane, as in elevenish, meaning kinda, but not quite eleven ...

Old 01-08-2003, 05:48 PM   #15
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Now, I would have been as excited to see the elves as Sam Gamgee if Mila Jovovich and Lisa Kudrow were elves. I'm serious about Lisa, she would have been a good elf, provided they kept her away from any guitars ...

So to bring this housecat-herd of a post back around, I think it would be cool if this is true. Good, not just adequate, food, housing, shelter, and education arfe worth their weight in ... somehting valuable .. worth their wieght in ... yeah, gold.

The third world needs to understand something, though. All of the materialstic crap that some Americans consider so important is just that; crap. Give me a nice Japanese-style abode and teahouse and a katana over what I've got now.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote