The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-14-2001, 10:13 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

10/14: Rwanda's killing fields

From MSNBC week in pictures.

"Dancila Nyirabazungu, on Oct. 1 surveys the remains of victims of Rwanda's 1994 genocide, preserved where they were killed at Ntarama's Roman Catholic Church in Kigali. At least half a million Rwandans were killed in a government-sanctioned spree. On Oct. 4, Rwandans began electing judges for courts that are expected to speed up trial of more than 110,000 people held in jail in connection with the massacre."

There's simply no end in sight to a New World Order if it *really* wants to do away with terrorism completely. The problem is, after southern Asia is worked out (!), Africa is a complete and total mess. The Brits are familiar with it, as messing around in Africa has been a game of theirs for a while.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 12:17 PM   #2
leif
Confounded Conjuror

What are they doing with the convicted?

I dout they can afford to jail them all, but if they kill 110,000 more people....

I don't think another genocide will really bring justice.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Incredible, this looks like a scene from a movie.

Knowing that things like this actually happen in some parts of the world makes Isolationist thinking look mighty tempting. Consider how you would deal with someone capable of ordering this...

I'd hate to meet people that twisted up close. After all Leif's right another genocide would not be justice, but would you want the killers living next to you?
Old 10-15-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit

Incredible, this looks like a scene from a movie.
I have been to some underground tunnels in Paris where they have skulls and bones (human real) arranged along the wall in a similar fashion to this photo. You can walk through the tunnels as a part of a tourist attraction, but I forget why they are there.

This shows me that although 9/11 is a big deal to us and the sucess of terrorism, in terms of history and numbers, it's not even a blip on the radar. That is unless it turns into WW III.

As always, we have racism and bigotry problems in the U.S., but its worse ala genocide, in the rest of the world. When is the last time you fought gun battles in the street with someone who looks or believes differently than you. And we in the U.S., and our media usually turn a blind eye to the world's dirty problems until those problems comes knocking on our door.
Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 04:20 PM   #5
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

???

Um, actually that was the biggest single terrorist act ever. That's why so much of the world is responding. Do you really think they care about us any more than we care about them? Nope, it's just that the ante got uped.

You're absolutely right that worse has happened though. This one in Rwanda is recent but nothing new. Consider the atrocities of the Nazi's or the Spanish Inquisition. Heck, Alexander the Great wiped an entire city-state off the map and was considered merciful becuase he didn't do the same to the city-state that backed them, Athens.

That we take notice at all shows that maybe the human race is improving. It means we are all starting to think of it as unexceptable. Take it as the only hope we have of surviving the next century as a species.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:14 PM   #6
Mr_Thing
Kinda New Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slight

I have been to some underground tunnels in Paris where they have skulls and bones (human real) arranged along the wall in a similar fashion to this photo. You can walk through the tunnels as a part of a tourist attraction, but I forget why they are there.
They were put underground in the middle ages (I think) when cemetaries all over Paris got full.

this guy has a tour of the catacombs..
http://www.xvt.com/users/kevink/cata/
elsewhere on his site he has a similar tour of a decomissioned missile silo in backwoods, usa.

Last edited by Mr_Thing; 10-16-2001 at 01:45 AM.
Mr_Thing is offline   Reply With Quote