The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-01-2004, 01:46 PM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm not savin' yer ass on this one!

HB was right! You gotta take more time when composing your subject lines!!!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #32
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

The states have determined what age a minor can consent to sex. It differs from state to state. If the AoC is 14 in Florida, what she did is not illegal. Since it appears the AoC is 16 in Florida, what she did *is* illegal.

This is a case, by her own admission, of "I did it, in part, because it is against the law".

What makes this situation worse IMO is that she is a teacher. Things like this give teachers a bad name, just like priest/child abuse give Catholic priests a bad name.

I hope they strip her of her credentials, force her to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life, and if she even looks sideways at a minor again, nail her on pedophile charges.

What would a 14 year old have to offer a 24 year old? She's got a rack, she's pretty, why would she be attracted to a 14 year old? What are they going to have in common?

I don't think the 14 year old is going to be scarred for life, but his consent or non consent is irrelevant. The law in Florida says it's illegal, regardless of consent. Period.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #33
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar

A grown man having sex with a 14 year old girl is absolutely no different than a grown woman having sex with a 14 year old boy. Both are equally wrong and the punishment should be the same.
There is one BIG difference. A mature woman having sex with a 14 year old boy is implicitly taking the birth control issue onto herself. The 14 year old girl that ends up getting or risking pregnancy from a mature guy might have no clue what she is risking.

Last edited by Slartibartfast; 07-01-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #34
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
I'm not savin' yer ass on this one!

HB was right! You gotta take more time when composing your subject lines!!!
PLICK!

i only got 3 1/2 hrs of sleep last night. gimme a break
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #35
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Just to throw a few disturbing anecdotes into the mix...

1.) A good friend of mine's brother had a relationship with his English teacher in high school. They were never caught; and what's more, after he graduated she quit teaching and they moved in together. Still "soulmates" after... hell, must be 4 or 5 years now.

2.) We had a student teacher in my high school (for those whose states don't have student teacher programs, it means he was in college training to be a teacher, temporarily assigned to our school for hands-on experience, and about 21 or 22 years old) who wanted to date a girl at the school. They petitioned the school board for permission, and it was granted, as long as they were discreet and he was never directly in charge of grading any of her work.

3.) Our theatre teacher in my high school (male) was extremely well-known for having relationships with girls in his classes. All of these girls thought at the time that it was something they wanted, as Catwoman was suggesting, but later on every one of them realized they had been used and were angry that no one ever stopped him.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #36
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Equally IS the same.

And just because for YOU it was about love and not sex doesn't mean it's that way for anyone. I don't care what age you were or your friends were when they lost their virginity.

A grown man having sex with a 14 year old girl is absolutely no different than a grown woman having sex with a 14 year old boy. Both are equally wrong and the punishment should be the same.
God help me, this is the second time this year that I've agreed with Radar. With no reservations.

Wolf, prepare a room, I'm comin' home! Gimme some o doze good meds too!

I'm sorry Catwoman, but equal is just that. Same pay for same work, same dry cleaning charge for a shirt, same jail time for the same crime. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Unless you're in Alabama, sex with someone under 16 or 18 (I'll look up Florida's consent law and fix this later) is a crime. Period. They cannot legally give consent and this should be prosecuted regardless if the boy enjoyed himself or not. Sexual abuse of a child is morally and criminally reprehensible.

Brian
Old 07-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #37
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

First one I found that was recent.

I'm not vouching for it's accuracy, just posting what I found.

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm
Old 07-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #38
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
crap. I spelled 'again' wrong. UT?
See I told you you didn't have your shit togethor.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #39
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

indeed

note to self: eat more paste
Old 07-01-2004, 06:21 PM   #40
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by blue

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
crap. I spelled 'again' wrong. UT?
See I told you you didn't have your shit togethor.
That's "together."

sorry, couldn't resist!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:27 PM   #41
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

steve, you have to read the less is more thread to get that joke
Old 07-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #42
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas

That's "together."

sorry, couldn't resist!
I'm pretty sure togethor is correct, maybe old english. Or might be PA dutch.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:10 AM   #43
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Equally IS the same... (snip) A grown man having sex with a 14 year old girl is absolutely no different than a grown woman having sex with a 14 year old boy. Both are equally wrong and the punishment should be the same.
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
I'm sorry Catwoman, but equal is just that. Same pay for same work, same dry cleaning charge for a shirt, same jail time for the same crime. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
I don't think the 14 year old is going to be scarred for life, but his consent or non consent is irrelevant. The law in Florida says it's illegal, regardless of consent. Period.
Right.

Deep breath.

Just for reference:

Equal

Same

Men and women are not the same. Come one I'm not exactly saying anything new here. You cannot deny there are fundamental differences between the sexes in terms of attitude, emotion, aptitude, skill set, physicality etc etc. So given these differences, why should we be treated the same? I wouldn't expect a man to talk make-up just as a man wouldn't expect a woman to lift a 100kg weight. [Apologies for obvious example - I actually detest women who talk about make up, but for some reason I was struggling to think of something a woman could do that a man can't, other than give birth. Oh dear.].

Anyway, the point is if we are different, we are unequal. Not in a linear, hierarchical sense - 'if a man does not keep pace with his companions perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer' - Thoreau.

True equality of opportunity will never happen because of these differences. And is that wrong? I think a man should be a man and a woman should be a woman. Where have all the curves gone? Where have all the real men gone? Instead we have straight-up straight-down boyish women with power jobs and pussified, effeminate men who couldn't save you from a pussy cat let alone a tiger. We should stop trying to merge with each other in the name of equality. We ARE equal, just not the same. We should relish our differences, not seek to abolish them on some misguided feminist power trip.

In the context of the teacher case, I do think she should be treated differently than if a male had done the same. Yes, she should be reprimanded - she broke the law, oh dear. We've all broken the law in one way or another. And she gave pleasure to a young lad who probably had to pinch himself to check he wasn't dreaming. 14 is not a child. It is not paedophilia. Surely those of you who believe in an 'eye for an eye' would advocate punishment to fit the level of suffering endured? If the boy enjoyed it, according to your rules, she should be rewarded!

And Onyx, just because a law exists does not mean it is right or applicable in all circumstances. I'm not too well informed about American law, but British law is full of flaws. My very good lawyer friend is one of those people who campaigns for law changes all the time, because every case is different and to attempt to categorise all similar crimes (which of course is necessary for a 'fair' and simplified justice system) is inevitably going to cause problems.

Men and women are not the same (and thank god). Any legal system should seek to reflect this.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #44
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
When's the last time you heard of a (natural) man lactating?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:49 AM   #45
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Men and women are not the same. Come one I'm not exactly saying anything new here. You cannot deny there are fundamental differences between the sexes in terms of attitude, emotion, aptitude, skill set, physicality etc etc. So given these differences, why should we be treated the same?
We're talking about equality UNDER THE LAW and whether the man or the woman has sex with a 14 year old minor, it is equally a crime and should carry equal punishment. If a man steals a television and a woman steals a television, they should get the same punishment because they have committed the SAME CRIME. We're not talking about equality of attitude, we're talking about people being treated equally under the law and the law should never change based on a person's race, gender, religion, etc. A crime is a crime is a crime and the punishment should be equal regardless.

A man who has sex with a 14 year old girl is no more or less guilty of a crime than is a woman who has sex with a 14 year old boy.

But since you don't think men and women should be treated the same, I'm sure you won't mind if male police or firefighters are paid more than female ones since thier "fundamental differences between the sexes in terms of attitude, emotion, aptitude, skill set, physicality" mean men can more easily taken down a violent criminal or carry a person from a burning building.

I'm sure in an office building, you think men should be paid more because they do the heavy lifting in an office (loading the sparklets bottle, moving furniture, etc) even though that isn't in their job description. I'm sure you think men should be paid more in all areas since they are subject to the draft and women aren't. You must feel that way or you'd be a hypocrite.