The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #16
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Why so many lives to bury the lines, mines? Were they burying the lines... I did not get that... I got that they were stealing the fuel from it.
What I meant was that the amount that "the company" would have to pay to bury the lines would cost more than these dead people.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #17
rkzenrage

Got it... no inflection in text.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #18
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
...[h]aving been on a burns ward in England...
Quote:
A doctor is being shown around a Scottish hospital. At the end of his visit, he's shown into a ward with a number of patients who show no obvious signs of injury. He goes to examine the first man he sees, and the man proclaims:-

"Fair fa' yer honest sonsie face,
Great chieftain o'the puddin' race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place, painch tripe or thairm:
Weel are ye worthy o' a grace as lang's my arm...."

The doctor, being somewhat taken aback, goes to the next patient, who immediately launches into:-

"Some hae meat, and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit."

This continues with the next patient:-

"Wee sleekit cow'rin tim'rous beastie,
O what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty, wi bickering brattle
I wad be laith to run and chase thee, wi murdering prattle!"

"Well," said the Englishman to his Scottish colleague, "I see you saved the psychiatric ward for last."

"No, no, no," the Scottish doctor corrected him, "this is the Burns Unit."

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
Burn injuries are the most painful.
Second degree burn injuries are painful. Third degree are more likely to be fatal, but typically the victim feels no pain as all the nerve endings get burned off.

yah. TMI.

Hope you get a good night's sleep.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
rkzenrage

If you have 3rds all over you, sure... I have had em' in limited spaces. They HURT, at least the surrounding area sure as hell does.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #21
chrisinhouston
Professor

Sadly, the charring on these bodies comes mostly fromt he subcutaneous fat cells, sort of like when you forget you put steaks or chicken on the grill and the when you take them off you hardly recognize what the are.

I wonder if Americans, who lead the world in obesity, would make better char then others around the world?
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #22
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
Sadly, the charring on these bodies comes mostly fromt he subcutaneous fat cells, sort of like when you forget you put steaks or chicken on the grill and the when you take them off you hardly recognize what the are.

I wonder if Americans, who lead the world in obesity, would make better char then others around the world?
Uh, thanks for that visual. The description is almost worse than the pics!

This is one of my most nightmarish things. My dad was a firefighter. One time they were digging up the tanks of a defunct gas station. Something in a piece of equipment sparked and three workers . . . POOF. Right in my little home town. My dad had just gone off shift . . . as a volunteer firefighter he was called back to help put out the fire. I've often thought of what he must have felt seeing that and what a close miss it was.

When I was a kid there was a fire in a tunnel here. A tanker truck exploded. They showed a picture of a person sitting at the steering wheel of a car with a gruesome grin. It's like they never even knew what hit them and all that was left was the metal frame of the car and this person's bones.

I have hated tunnels ever since. And gas stations.

One time hubby let the tank overflow. We had no idea it was overflowing until we saw someone glance under our van. There was a huge flood of gas all around. I freaked, because all three of my kids were in the van. It took forever for the gas station attendant to find the neutralizer. Any little thing and we would have all been gone. Fortunately, the gas station led out to a parking lot that was slightly down hill, so we were able to push the van out of the gas flood without starting it . . . or making a spark.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #23
GuyNamedGuy
Fellow-Commoner

A suggestion to the folks running the Cellar IOTD: perhaps it would be good if, when running a stomach-churning image like this, you had a "are you sure you want to see this?" button to click first, rather than seeing a gagger image the moment you visit the IOTD. There's been a few medical-related images in recent months that left me queasy. I love the IOTD - it's a daily stop - but please, give us a chance to look the other way first, okay?

I've been saying for 20+ years that one of the best things the USA could do for the world (and make a few export $$ at it, too) is develop safe, cheap alternate energy technology for developing countries. This is a good argument WHY. It'd let us manufacture something (a novel idea in itself these days), would lower pressure on non-renewable oil, and would be waaaaaay safer than this sort of thing. Were people going to power cars with what they stole, or cook with it, or what? If it's cooking, there must be a solar or alcohol technology or SOMEthing better than, literally in this case, "cooking with gas".

And heck, I guess I'm an insensitive bastard, too. That is a hell of a pattern on the fellow's outfit. Looks like we know now where James Brown's extra stage outfits got to after he died!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #24
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNamedGuy
A suggestion to the folks running the Cellar IOTD: perhaps it would be good if, when running a stomach-churning image like this, you had a "are you sure you want to see this?" button to click first, rather than seeing a gagger image the moment you visit the IOTD.
[very graphic] doesn't do it, eh?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #25
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama
[very graphic] doesn't do it, eh?
The IOTD has a "blog view" option, and a lot of people just have it bookmarked (so they never see the thread title as a link from the main board.) That's how I used to visit for a very long time before I discovered the rest of the board.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
The IOTD has a "blog view" option, and a lot of people just have it bookmarked (so they never see the thread title as a link from the main board.) That's how I used to visit for a very long time before I discovered the rest of the board.
Oh, that's right! That's what I used to do, too.

SORRY!!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 AM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I saw the Branch Davidian autopsy photos at a conference. These aren't so bad, even if they are fresher.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #28
SPUCK
Professor

Buried lines must come up a certain locations for taps and controls...
These lines also usually run at over 1000psi. A pinhole puts out insane amounts of the fluid being transported. So if you have any line to the surface someone can find it and breach it.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 AM   #29
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

True Spuck. But in developing countries the standard mo of companies is not to bury any of it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:36 AM   #30
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNamedGuy
...I've been saying for 20+ years that one of the best things the USA could do for the world (and make a few export $$ at it, too) is develop safe, cheap alternate energy technology for developing countries. This is a good argument WHY. It'd let us manufacture something (a novel idea in itself these days), would lower pressure on non-renewable oil, and would be waaaaaay safer than this sort of thing. Were people going to power cars with what they stole, or cook with it, or what? If it's cooking, there must be a solar or alcohol technology or SOMEthing better than, literally in this case, "cooking with gas".
Is this really Jimmy Carter?

I agree. It would have been nice if Dutch Reagan hadn't undone the policies Carter implemented to promote alternative fuels.