The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #31
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Now, I agree that the Saran Wrap is hard to get off the roll, but once it is, I can't get it to cling to anything other than itself, and even that's a bit hit and miss -as soon as I try to stretch it tight, it slips. The supermarket brand was awful. So I have my MIL bring Sainsbury's cheapo brand when she comes over. Perhaps I just had a bad batch. Or two?
I think some of the brands that used to stick pretty well were reformulated because they contained a chemical that mimics estrogen and they were thought to possibly cause health problems in some small percentage of the population. So I don't know of any cling wrap in the US that works anymore. Maybe the UK wrap still contains the chemicals that let the cling wrap cling.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #32
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I think some of the brands that used to stick pretty well were reformulated because they contained a chemical that mimics estrogen and they were thought to possibly cause health problems in some small percentage of the population. So I don't know of any cling wrap in the US that works anymore. Maybe the UK wrap still contains the chemicals that let the cling wrap cling.

I remember some changes to cling film in the UK several years ago for health reasons, but it got clingier then, if anything. I don't like it next to food, so I like to stretch it taut over bowls etc, so it doesn't sag into the food. I also use it to control the moisture content of my ceramic pieces in progress. I wonder if the health concern was ingestion or just contact?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #33
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Saran Wrap is cling film. Except that it's really crap compared to real British cling film
[Chekov] Saran wrap vas inwented by little old lady from Leningrad.
[/Chekov]
Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #34
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
[Chekov] Saran wrap vas inwented by little old lady from Leningrad.
[/Chekov]
I meant the stuff available in the UK.

I hope she is/was a very rich little old lady. Marvelous stuff.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #35
busterb
NSABFD

IMHO Freds brand works better than most of name brands.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:

I wonder if the health concern was ingestion or just contact?
I don't think it's a problem unless it's heated, like in a microwave oven, and leaches chemicals into the food. Actually the wrap doesn't heat as much as the hot food, especially grease, gets hot and heats the wrap.
Cold contact shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't eat it.

Sorry you're affected by the Pfizer massacre.

And never heard septic used in that context, interesting.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #37
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

Sorry you're affected by the Pfizer massacre.
thanks, although the effect on us personally is indirect -it affects our friends, schools, community......

beest work in the automotive industry ...which isn't exactly a stroll in the park right now, either

You find "septic" used a lot on expat bulletin boards -often in intros (Hi, i'm John, just moved here, wife's a septic....) and tongue-in-cheek sweeping generalizations (like mine). People who move here and find themselves with septic tanks instead of regular sewers also seem particularly enamored of the phrase ...can't think why (pretty much all UK homes have city sewers, perhaps it seems a little foreign)

And then there are those who spell it sceptic......
Old 01-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #38
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Septics is only ever used tongue in cheek in my experience. We used to use it in Oxford when the majority of tourists who stopped right in the middle of the pavement with no warning seemed to be American. I doubt that's the case now.