The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-10-2002, 08:25 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Great Instrumentals

The concept is incredibly simple. Name some of your favorite pieces of instrumental music. It can be classical, rock, blues, whatever. Name your favorite performance of it for added fun. Put it out there.

Some of my personal favorites, just to name a few:

--Gershwin: "Rhapsody in Blue"

--Beethoven: "Moonlight Sonata" (Depeche Mode, rather, instrumentalist Alan Wilder, does a fine performance of this on the "Little 15" single)

--Miles Davis: "Concierto de Aranjuez" (written by Joaquin Rodrigo)

--Depeche Mode: "Stjarna" (written by Martin Gore, also on the "Little 15" single)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:31 PM   #2
dave

<b>Nine Inch Nails - A Warm Place</b> - to me, this song is sort of like the aural equivalent of looking into someone's eyes and just <i>feeling</i>. I love it. From <i>The Downward Spiral</i>.

<b>Nine Inch Nails - Just Like You Imagined</b> - wow. This blows my mind every time I listen to it. Definitely one of my favorite instrumentals. From <i>The Fragile</i> (CD Left, track 7).

<b>The Heart Asks Pleasure First</b> - from <i>The Piano</i>. It's only 1:32, but there seems to be so much in that short time. I found this on Napster and man... good lord do I love this track. It's spec-tac-u-lar.

<b>Beethoven - Für Elise</b> - I dunno. Classical was the first thing I was ever really into as a kid (besides reading and snakes) and it kind of burned its way into my mind at a young age. The cell phone ringers don't do it justice.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:30 PM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

<b>B.J. Cole</b> plays Debussy's <i>Pavane Pour Une Enfante Defunt</i> and <i>Clair de Lune</i> on pedal steel. And while we're on Debussy, <b>Tomita's</b> version of <i>Gardens in the Rain</i>

<b>Rundgren's Utopia</b> plays <i>Mr. Triscuits</i>; Rundgren on guitar and Roger Powell on synth. Also Rundgren's <i>Breathless</i> and <i>Sidewalk Cafe</i>, fine pieces of studio work for their day. Also <i>Pranha</i> from <i>A Treatise on Cosmic Fire</i>

<b>Beaver and Krause</b> <i>By Your Grace</i> and <i>Good Places</i>, with Gerry Mulligan on sax, Paul Beaver on pipe organ and Gail Laughton on harp, recorded in Grace Cathedral.

The mandatory instumental tracks on each <b>Alan Parsons Project</b> album. <i>Hawkeye</I>, <i>Pipeline</I> and <i>Chinese Whispers</i> in particular. Same thing for <b>Joe Walsh</b>

<b>Dave Grusin's</b> <i>Power Wave</i>

<b>Pink Floyd</b> <i>Terminal Frost</i> and <i>Meddle</i>

<b>David Foster's</b> <i>Flight of the Snowbirds</i>

<b>Synergy</b> <i>Delta One</i> and <i>Delta Two</i>

<b>Joe Satriani:</b> <i>Flying in a Blue Dream</i>

<b> Steve Vai</b> <i>I Would Love to</i>

<b>Suzanne Ciani</b> <i>The Velocity of Love</i>

<b>Wendy Carlos</b> doing JSB's <i>Sinfonia in D major</i>, especially the 25th anniversary edition

<b>Afro Celt Sound System</b> <i>Eireann</i> and <i>Hypnotica</i> have great instrumentals even though there is a vocalist

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 12:33 AM   #4
Nic Name
retired

Anything recorded by Sheffield Lab, but these two CDs are among my favorite instrumental recordings.

11420-2 F THE SHEFFIELD DRUM AND TRACK DISC. The Sheffield Drum and Track Disc combines two "direct to disc"recordings made by Sheffield Lab in 1980 and 1982. These recordings quickly became the reference standard for component testing and evaluation, and achieved legendary status with recording engineers, hi-fi equipment manufacturers, audio sales personnel, and audiophiles world-wide. Features Robbie Buchanan and James Newton Howard on keyboards, Nathan East on bass, Mike Landau on guitar, Carlos Vega on drums, and Lenny Castro on percussion. "The 'standard' for all hi-fi systems" -Stereo Sound

10055-2 G JAMES NEWTON HOWARD and FRIENDS / James Newton Howard Experience the definitive CD version of this audiophile classic! The original Lab 23 analog master tape has been remastered by Gavin Lurssen and Doug Sax, to bring you the highest possible sonic quality in a 24Kt gold collector's edition. James Newton Howard is a highly-regarded composer for film and television, with credits that include Prince of Tides, Alive, Dave, Grand Canyon, Promised Land, Wyatt Earp and the new hit series, ER. He was joined on this project by members of the legendary rock super-group, Toto, which featured the unequalled brilliance of Jeff Porcaro on drums, and a dazzling display of three virtuoso keyboard artists on nine Yamaha synthesizers.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:37 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Great thread Warren

Billy Thorpe- Children of the Sun- Its only rock and roll but...

Sam Bush and David Grisman- Wayfaring Stranger -The tune itself is classic hillbilly gospel. Bill Monroe built a mandolin part for it which Bush and Grisman turned into a powerful mandolin duet.

Bela Fleck - His Bluegrass Sessions recording has a cluster of wonderful instrumental pieces including Buffalo Nickel, When Joy Kills Sorrow, and Spanish Point. I'm not sure which group of musicians did these cuts but its some combination of Fleck banjo, Tony Rice guitar, Sam Bush mandolin, Mark Schatz bass, Stuart Duncan fiddle, Jerry Douglas dobro, and Vassar Cements fiddle, among others.

David Grisman Quintet- Cedar Hill, Dawg Patch, also recorded as Dawgwood Dawgma with Stephane Grappelli, Dawg Funk, and their version of the Sabbath prayer Shalom Aleichem. The Quintet featured a huge number of different performers from its inception in 1976 through the present. They play Dawg music which ranges from straight up Jazz to Bluegrass. Awesome live string band.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:30 AM   #6
elSicomoro

DM has created about 2 dozen instrumentals over the last 21 years, many of them b-sides to singles. Among my faves (besides the 2 mentioned previously)

Pimpf from Music for the Masses

Sibeling from the "Enjoy the Silence" single

Oberkorn from the "The Meaning of Love" single

Other fine instrumental tracks

Moments in Love by the Art of Noise

The Defector by Recoil
Old 09-11-2002, 10:18 AM   #7
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

A few great Zappa instrumentals, going past the obvious "Watermelon in Easter Hay" and "King Kong":

"We Are Not Alone" (from The Man From Utopia) - Incredibly catchy track from an otherwise mediocre album.

"Sofa #1" and "Sofa #2" (from multiple albums) - Some versions of these tracks had lyrics, but the instrumental versions were just as great.

"Thirteen" (from You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6) - Shankar on electric violin, a thoroughly unique cadence and an all-around nifty track.

"The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution" (from Lather and elsewhere)

"Let's Make The Water Turn Black / Harry, You're A Beast / The Orange County Lumber Truck" (instrumental medley) (from YCDTOSA Vol. 1 and Ahead Of Their Time) - an awesome display of the early Mothers' sound and skill. The Ahead Of Our Time mix is the better one.

Damn near all of "Jazz From Hell," but particularly "G-Spot Tornado". Musical whiplash on an almost-impossible-for-humans-to-play scale.

Bela Fleck is seconded, BTW. Haven't heard a bad song from his assorted projects yet.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:26 AM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

anything from bizets "carmen", especially "march of the toreadors". i know theres technically lyrics from a lot of this, but since i cant understand them and i find myself humming it constantly, i figure it counts.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:43 AM   #9
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Two words: SURF GUITAR.

(Dick Dale. The Chantays. The Ventures.) Need I say more?
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:57 AM   #10
elSicomoro

The name of the song escapes me at the moment...the first song on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack (the song during the opening credits). Dick Dale and the Hightones, IIRC. Great stuff.

Oh shit...how could I forget The Reverend Horton Heat's Big Sky, which he generally uses to open a show. Psychobilly at its finest. Together with Baddest of the Bad, they are one of the best one-two punches in rock music. (Those interested: Tracks 1 and 2 on 1994's Liquor in the Front CD)
Old 09-11-2002, 12:14 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

I believe The Lively Ones supplied that fat surfsound for Pulp fiction. Love it!

edit- Surf Rider was the tune
again- Telstar is the other surf tune worth crankin

Last edited by Griff; 09-11-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 12:30 PM   #12
elSicomoro

The song I was thinking about is "Misirlou" by Dick Dale and His Del-tones...I was close. That soundtrack has some great instrumentals on it.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:44 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

I just dogpiled it to see if I was blowing smoke. A few different surf acts were involved here. I don't remember which scene the Dick Dale tune was in. Might have to grab that soundtrack although I have a couple Lively Ones CDs.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:37 PM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

I'll get behind the Dick Dale votes!

here are some more:

Booker T and the MGs - Green Onions and Hip-Hug-Her are classics.

Bill Dogget - Honkey Tonk. one of the greatest guitar solos ever.

Dave Brubeck- Take Five- the song, the whole album is hard to do without.

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra- I Got It Bad and That Aint Good- 1956 live recording with Johnny Hodges on altosax- he literally makes it cry. add Prelude to a Kiss, A-Train...All gorgeous.

Lee Morgan- The Sidewinder ,1963, trumpet, on Blue Note- a wicked-cool groove.

Benny Goodman-Sing,Sing,Sing, 1936 Live Carnegie Hall Jazz concert- (first one ever there, first integrated band, the audience was dancing in the aisles, you can feel it.) Gene Krupa on drums, Lionel Hampton vibes.

Charlie Parker April in Paris. its beautiful.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:21 AM   #15
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

By

That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote