The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Exclamation A bad idea for the holidays

With the approach of Valentine's Day, I notice we are once more prone to radio advertisements for the International Star Registry and its ilk. Although some people defend the practice of "naming" stars for money on grounds that it's just for fun, most serious astronomers (amateur as well as professional) denounce the practice because it misleads the purchasers, who are often taken aback when they belatedly find out that all they have gotten for their money is a piece of paper. (Regrettably, our own Franklin Institute here in Philadelphia falls into the former camp; they carry a "star naming kit" in their gift shop.)

I would strongly urge anyone who is considering the "gift of a star" for Valentine's Day to reconsider.

The following web site has a good explanation with links to other resources:

http://www.morehead.unc.edu/PR/PR199...buy.html?print
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Nah, I don't want a star named after me...a street, a park, okay...maybe even a town...but not a star.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

you're thinking too small syc ...

I would like a BATTLESHIP.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:53 PM   #4
elSicomoro

Ships have a limited use and life, IMO. But cities and streets...those tend to last longer.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

But they get renamed more often ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #6
elSicomoro

We'll write into law that my street or park can never be re-named or destroyed.

After all, Rep. Bud Shuster wrote the designation for Interstate 99 into law...a real sore point with road geeks. And I don't think it can be changed easily.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:58 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The best way to have an astronomical body named after you is relatively simple. First, achieve deity status through some series of extraordinary actions, then wait about 2000 years or so. Your existence and deeds will fade into the fuzziness of myth, and then some future astronomer with a bent for ancient stories will name something after you, and, if that something is associated with some other somethings, possibly name them after your dog, your girlfriend, your mom...

Hint: actions such as rescuing maidens in distress, defeating enormous hideous beasts and showing supernatural skill in some form of warfare have high potential for elevating you to deific status.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:17 AM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Or you can just discover one. Worked for Hale and Bopp. (IIRC one of them noticed The Comet when he was just setting up his telescope & checking to see if everything was hooked up right.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:59 AM   #9
Elspode

Excellent point! Not as funny as suggesting that someone try and become the foundation of a myth, but still an excellent point.

I got to see David Levy give a fascinating talk on Comet Shoemaker-Levy about a year and half before it broke up and smashed into Jupiter. That event has to be just about the coolest natural astronomical phenomenon in our lifetimes, IMHO.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:04 PM   #10
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
you're thinking too small syc ...

I would like a BATTLESHIP.
How about the "James Marshall Hendrix". It's an R&R ship. It has surface-to-air cheese spreaders, vodka refueling A6's, and one heck of a "smoke stack"!

So, for your astronomical sweetheart, buy some sort of coffee-table Hubble photo book. Some of those nebula photos would look very nice on glossy paper.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:19 PM   #11
Elspode

If I gave my wife a book of astronomical photos for Valentine's Day, she'd pummel me into unconsciousness with it.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #12
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
If I gave my wife a book of astronomical photos for Valentine's Day, she'd pummel me into unconsciousness with it.

So what did you get for her? A new vacuum?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
Elspode

Nope...'cause I already knew that a vacuum would suck out loud.

Actually, I'm spiriting her away to a B&B somewhere in rural Missouri for two days of hot tubbing and general carnal debauchery...plus assorted Valentine novelty items on the day itself, since we won't go out of town for another two weeks.

The only thing worse than having a job is not having a job, isn't it?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #14
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Actually, I'm spiriting her away to a B&B somewhere in rural Missouri for two days of hot tubbing and general carnal debauchery...plus assorted Valentine novelty items on the day itself, since we won't go out of town for another two weeks.

(slang thinks to self: No wonder I never get laid, I give the wrong gifts. )
Old 02-10-2003, 01:01 PM   #15
Elspode

I'm sort of at that point myself - I mean, if I ever want to get laid again, I'd damn well *better* be taking her to a rural B&B for Valentine's Day...

Next time, try gifting your intended with a vibrator and a Wholesale Club package of the appropriate size batteries. It is the gift that keeps on giving, and everytime she uses it, she'll think of you...or Ben Affleck. Plus, she'll know that you care about her satisfaction. Not enough to actually concern yourself during the eventual, hoped-for actual intercourse, but still, it shows that you care.