The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Weird things that happen to you at work...

So I work at a bank...and i'm on the teller line. This old man just belched in my face. A raunchy nasty belch and didn't even say excuse me. Gross!

What weird things happen to you guys while you are at work?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

Yeah, and the old guys with the really bad body odor are the worst.

Last edited by Iggy; 04-26-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I am constantly being called upon to utilize my 35 year old Spanish language skills, which must sound to our Hispanic employees as though I am mentally and verbally handicapped.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Shocker
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Ok well this one time, at band camp....

LOL ok seriously though, um...there is this guy who is sort of infamous here, his name, or at least what we call him is Crazy Mike, and nearly everyone from here knows him, he wears huge headphones and rides around town on his moped and is, well, crazy. Anyways, one time he came to my place of employment for no reason at all other than to say that he grew up with my company's president, and that he used to pee his pants all the time as a boy! True story right there
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I worked as a nurse in a steel mill (AK Steel in Middletown, OH. They are now locked out by the company).

I encountered many a strange, 'raised by wolves', kind of counter-culture there.

A guy named Stinky Ray came up to the medical office window once and, literally, coughed RIGHT IN MY FACE (a thing that hadn't happened since my stint in pediatrics.) (plus, Stinky Ray was soooo stinky that we did Rock/Paper/Scissors to see who had to take care of him. I lost.)

We examined him and he had a really, really bad URI (and, rotted teeth.) We took a chest X-ray and sent it to a radiologist group to be read. Report of x-ray came back and turns out, ol' Stinky Ray, who coughed right in my face, had TB!

I've another story 'bout a dude who had a colostomy and was forced to come to medical because he refused to take care of it. Lord, lord. I miss that place.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Crazy Mike aka sex symbol super star!!! Good Stuff!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
marichiko

One of my fav's goes back to the days when I had a job with the AAA. I prepared maps and trip tiks for AAA members. One day a highly agitated woman came in and wanted to know how to dive through Colorado without going over any mountains. I stared at her, but she was insistent. What the hell was this person doing in Colorado if they didn't like mountains? Still, she was the customer, so I prepared a trip tik for her routing her all the way down to I-40, about 8 hours out of her way. I then put her on the old route 666 to get her into Utah. It was July and that was the hottest, most god forsaken route possible. She'd have been happier staying home in Kansas. Working with the general public never fails to restore my faith in the general stupidity of man kind.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I don't get this so much now, but at my last job, which was at a college, I received the mail that was sent to webmaster@college.edu. It was unbelievable some of the stuff that people sent in. One expressed his excitement about a potential football scholarship. (Unlikely, since we didn't have a football team.) One went on about how badly he wanted to come to study ..... at a different college. One wanted to know if her application should be typed, and if so, how she would go about doing that. And there was more than one on the theme of "Hi, I want my little Susie who's in 6th grade to come to your school. I'm going to send her to one of these three elitist snotty prep schools, and I just wanted to check which one of them would give her the greatest chance of being admitted."
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Being a lifeguard lets me see experience some interesting things.. such as 15 year old kid taking a crap in the middle of the bathroom.. as I walked in. He stood up, grabbed some toilet paper and wiped then tried to just walk out right past me.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

25 years ago, as a retail salesman, I discovered a group of guys changing price stickers on 10 boxes of vinyl tile from $45/box to $12/box. No UPC readers back then. I asked them if they needed help and one guy diverted me with questions somewhere else and the other guys took off with the shopping cart. Soon, I told the guy, "Oh, they just paged me on the loudspeaker. I gotta go.".

I told the store manager and he told me to just stand visible at the cash register and the guy will probably just give up. In about 10 minutes, the guys walk out the front door empty handed and I found the goods in another department.

I worked at that home improvement store for 4 years and saw some real idiots. Most customers were good and just wanted good advice about stuff they didn't do very often.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Heh.. reminds me of one of my dad's. At about the same time, early 1980s, he used to moonlight part-time around Christmas at Brendle's, a local western North Carolina chain similar to Best or Service Merchandise. They usually put him in the electronics department. One night he & another guy found a doll house. On further investigation the best they could figure was that somebody had loaded up the dollhouse box with smallish, relatively expensive electronic gizmos and paid for the dollhouse ($50 or something like that), and walked out the door with the lot.

Many many years later, I bought a Black & Decker drill at Rickel. When I got it home and opened it, the box contained an ancient, rusted Craftsman drill. Obviously somebody had made a little swap. I took it back to the Rickel and they gave me my money back, but the manager said he had never seen anything like that and came close to suggesting (but didn't actually) that it was possibly me who had done the switcheroo. When I told my dad about it later, he said the manager either just started that day or was bullshitting me because that kind of stuff happened all the time.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
... Many many years later, I bought a Black & Decker drill at Rickel. When I got it home and opened it, the box contained an ancient, rusted Craftsman drill. Obviously somebody had made a little swap. I took it back to the Rickel and they gave me my money back, but the manager said he had never seen anything like that and came close to suggesting (but didn't actually) that it was possibly me who had done the switcheroo. When I told my dad about it later, he said the manager either just started that day or was bullshitting me because that kind of stuff happened all the time ...
Wow. The store that I worked at was in fact Rickel.

As for the switch, I could see a number of asshats that used to work there doing just that. You're did was right.

One sleazy P/T guy in my dept setup one of his friends to do a scam merchandise return which he approved. He set it up in a time window when he was the only one working in our dept. He got caught because the dept manager next to us was helping us out while we we short staffed and happened to know the products involved and happened to arrive at the return counter when this scam was ending.

The P/T asshat was prosecuted and settled out of court. A few month's later he was arrested for breaking into one of our friend's house when he knew they would not be home and he tried to steal big electronics. He got caught because neighbors called the police. I lost track of the asshat at that point.

I remember this guy particularly because regular drugs weren't good enough for him anymore. He used to huff gasoline. I'm sure this guy died before the advent of crystal meth, he would have be the prime candidate for that stuff.

Rickel didn't always employee the world's best citizens.

"Rickel helps you do it better, do it better with Rickel!"

Last edited by Rock Steady; 04-26-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Rock Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

One time these cute girls wanted to buy carpeting by the linear foot for their dorm room. They wanted it installed, cut to the dimensions of the room and double-taped down. I told them that the store didn't do that, but I could do it on the side for twenty bucks. Plus, I would charge them for half the material on the order, and cut it myself twice the length. They agreed. God what I would try to do to get laid in those days.

Well, I sold them the carpeting for half price and installed it for them. But, I just got the $20. Geez, I never got laid in those days. Well, I was 20 yo and looked 14.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You guys have it so totally easy.

I've been spit on, pissed at, exposed to a variety of parasites and infections, hit, kicked, and had to smell things to which humans should not be exposed. That was just within the last week.

And I've had my hand broken.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Yeah, but you've got the shitjob/nuthouse thread for that Wolf! We're just talking about wierd here ...
I work in a shop selling obviously factory made sweaters, shirts, trousers, kids' clothes, obviously factory made leather goods, sheepskin rugs, and some craft-y items including a visible stock of around 100 handknit sweaters. The shop is located literally in the middle of nowhere on an island with a population of 4,500. I am amazed at the number of times I've been asked "So .... do you make all this yourself?". HUH?