The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 11-05-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
vocalperk
Profitable Prophet

Anyone here run a marathon?

I recently decided that I WILL run a marathon (meaning it is something I want to be able to check off my "Life To Do List").

Then I reconsidered and changed it to half-marathon (for now). I run a mile three times a week, but have never been "a runner", however it is something I would like to accomplish. Anyone here run a marathon or half-marathon before, and what was your experience?
vocalperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have never even been tempted to run a marathon. But, a very good friend of mine from Aberdeen is doing the New York marathon this month. I'll ask him about it when he returns and let you know what he has to say about running marathons :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My sister has recently started doing this, not bad for turning 40 this summer.

Until the distance for a marathon is adjust to "how far it is to my mailbox," I won't be doing any myself.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

Half marathon

I signed up for the next indy500 half marathon which takes place on March fifth. I've been trying to practice and train up to that distance so the race won't be my first try at that distance. I'm up to half the distance in 1:17, so I'm confident I can finish the race.
When I started training i got calf tears, painful enough to make me stop running for a week at a time. I got my legs worked on by a massage therapist and began POSE running.
Here's the POSE link:
http://www.posetech.com/
It's taken me about four months to get comfortable with the POSE running and I"m not done learning it yet. But it makes a big difference for me.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Until the distance for a marathon is adjust to "how far it is to my mailbox," I won't be doing any myself.
I've fantasized about doing this one on skates, but considering I haven't done more than about 15 miles at a stretch before, it's really not that likely.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
glatt

I did a 15 mile day hike once. That's the farthest I've gone on foot in a day. I was very tired at the end, but my body wasn't injured. I don't really get running a marathon. So many marathon runners injure themselves. It seems like you need to be special to do that. Why choose an activity that causes you physical harm?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Check out this thread started by myself. Then check out my profile picture, that is me finishing the Park-to-Park half marathon in Cedar Falls, Iowa last fall. My time is visible. This year I am doing the Living History Farms Cross Country race, 7 miles across farmland, through streams, up and down gullies, and lots and lots of MUD!!!!!! It's "The Biggest Cross Country Race in North America"!

I have been running 5Ks+ since 1998, injury free. If'n ya wanna talk running, I'm your rat.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
LabRat

Most people get injuries because they don't listen to their bodies. I have 'tweaked' a muscle here and there trying to do too much, or squeezing a sprint into a long run, when I shouldn't have. But I have learned from those mistakes. If you try to do too much, too fast, all you're doing is asking for trouble. Running 17 races in 8 years (including a triathlon) has given me a little wisdom. No, I haven't ever won a medal for coming in fast, but I have never had to drop out or even walk during a race, and to me, that's a lot more important.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I once injured my leg trying to put on socks. No marathons for me.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I can't run. Literally--my throat closes up and I can't breathe within 30 seconds of starting to run. A very slow jog is the best I can manage. I know it has something to do with the impact of my body jarring against the ground, because I can use an elliptical machine for long periods of time without a problem. I've been told I don't run "correctly", but the people who told me this were never able to teach me the right way.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I've been told I don't xxxxxxxxx "correctly", but the people who told me this were never able to teach me the right way.
I've had this happen to me with many things other than running!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
LabRat

Vocal,
Where are you located?

#1 Pick a race you'd like to do. Give yourself a minimum of 12 weeks to prep for a 1/2 marathon, especially if it's your first.
#2 Buy actual running shoes, from a running store. Shoes that won't result in injury will cost $80-90. No need to spend more, I don't recommend spending less. Also pick up 2 pairs of running socks. Help prevent blisters better than plain 'ole socks. El-cheapo shoes are fine for low milage, but believe me, you'll want the features that pricier shoes offer if you are planning on actually completing your training and race. I would be happy to give more advice in this department. I have used New Balance, Saucony, and Asics with great results. I refuse to buy Nike. As far as clothes, I have advice about that, but it depends on where you are, and if you are planning on doing most of your runnning out or indoors.
#3 Pick a training plan. I have several websites and books that list many, of which I kind of combine and juggle to fit my needs. I have lots of advice here too if you are interested. Too much too fast will get you every time.
#4Get out there, and post here for encouragement!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 01:35 AM   #13
vocalperk
Profitable Prophet

Thanks LabRat for your tips. Having only completed one 5K in my life, I would like to sign up for one again, as well as some 10K to work up to a half-marathon. There's also a difference between running to train and running in the "marathon" environment. The latter gets me so much more pumped up.

I have a pair of Saucony's right now that I LOVE and have been using (great shoes, comfortable, no injuries), but after reading your post I realised that I have had them (and worn them) for 4 years if not more. They are still great, but I hear you need new running shoes every certain number of months, so I will be looking for a new pair here soon. Most of my running is outdoors.

Any advice you can give for a training plan would be awesome and greatly appreciated. I don't mind it being quite gradual as I do not seem to be built for endurance activities (one reason why I want to actually complete a half-marathon!)
vocalperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
LabRat

What I have heard regarding shoe life is for the normal weight runner, after about 300 miles the cushioning starts to break down. I listen to my knees. I replace my shoes when they bother me after a run. This usually takes 9-10 months, depending on how much running I have been doing. I probably average 10-12 miles a week when I am running. X 30 weeks = 300-360 miles. So, this seems reasonable. Everything feels fine during the run, but after my knees are tender. I have found this to be true for all brands I have worn. Obviously more or less running will change the amount of time that it will take before you need to demote them to lawn mowing shoes. One thing I would recommend when you get to actual marathon training is buying 2 pairs of shoes, and alternating them so that the cushioning has time to fully recover between wearings. A good friend tried this, and swears by it.

Halhigdon.com has the training plans I use most frequently. In general this is a great site regarding running info. You'll also get lots of hits by typing "10K training plan", or whatever, into Google. Skim these, and see what works for you. HH.com's plans have the long runs on Sundays. I prefer to do mine on Saturdays, so I shift everything by a day. I'll scan in the plan I used for last years 1/2. I print the plan off, put in in my workout area and use it as my training diary. Remember, this is just a guide. If you feel like doing more or less, listen to your body.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
LabRat

I just found a link I had made to Jeff Galloway's website that has has a really nice beginners training program. Also lots of good info overall.