Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

OK, this made me laugh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2698507.stm

Family of faggot fans fly the flag

The Doody family hope to raise profile of faggots

A West Midlands family is playing a central role in the quest to raise the profile of a forgotten British dish - faggots.
The Doody family from Wolverhampton has been crowned The Faggot Family in a national competition, and to kick off their reign they will launch National Faggot Week.

The family will be touring the country extolling the virtues of the dish, which is best-known for its links with the Black Country.

The Doody family were chosen to front the campaign after impressing judges at the Savoy Hotel in London in November.

Faggot facts
Faggots were called "savoury ducks" in the Middle Ages

Faggots were named after the Latin word for bundle

Faggots were originally made with pig's liver and offal

Faggots are now made from pork liver and pork

Fans have published the Good Faggot Guide

They displayed their fanaticism for the delicacy during quizzes, role-plays and mock commercials.

"The nation knows that the Cornish pasty, Yorkshire pudding, haggis and fish and chips are great British dishes, but all too often the faggot is left off that list," said Janet Doody.

Her husband Fred added: "It's unfair because faggots were a British delicacy long before any of the others.

"The great British faggot is full of flavour and a great belly warmer at this time of year."

The family, including Lewis, 13, and Grace, 7, eat faggots twice a week, with mashed potato and mushy peas, and will be launching the awareness campaign on Tuesday at Liverpool University, followed by visits this week to Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham.

The competition was organised by faggot producer Mr Brain's Faggots.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

Very popular, they are too. It takes two faggots with mushy peas to completely satisfy your average punter, who may bum a fag from his mate to have while you heat up his dish.

Or so it was when I worked in a chippy in Birmingham.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Faggots were originally made with pig's liver and offal
Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Offal!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
monster

Liver is offal.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I like the fact that they used to be made with pig's liver, but in today's modern times they are made with pork liver.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I like the fact that they used to be made with pig's liver, but in today's modern times they are made with pork liver.

I have never tried one -the whole idea of offal is awful to me.

They just look like meatballs and don't smell as nasty as pork does, but that is maybe to do with the thick brown gravy they are smothered with. They were surprisingly popular (surprising to me as a northerner who'd never heard of them until employed in a chippy in the midlands, anyway).
Old 02-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

A question to you monster. Do you think pork smells nasty when it's raw or when it's cooked?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I used to love Mr Brain's Faggots. We had them every couple of weeks when I was growing up.

I was always puzzled by the fact that other people had their faggots with spaghetti - I didn't realise such a thing as meatballs existed until I was about 10.

I didn't realise they were made of offal, but as kidneys, liver and heart were often on the table I doubt it would have changed my opinion of them.

Mmmmmmm, faggoty goodness.....
Old 02-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
A question to you monster. Do you think pork smells nasty when it's raw or when it's cooked?

Cooked/cooking. Sadly reminiscent of the whiff one tries to avoid catching when walking past a mens room.

(I am/used to be "allergic" to pork (as illustrated by the above smiley, not a life-threatening anaphyllactic shock-type real allergy), so this may warp my perception. Bizarrely, I can eat bacon with no problems as long as it isn't too smelly when cooking.)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
monster

Whereabouts in the midlands are you, SG? I'm thinking Leicester but I don't know why....
Old 02-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Whereabouts in the midlands are you, SG? I'm thinking Leicester but I don't know why....
You're quite right - Leicester. I used to have it as the location under my username, but decided it was far too obvious who I was to people I had suggested stepped by the Cellar. I like people to maintain the air of mystery for another..... oh 10 seconds?

I'm not Midlands born & bred though - I grew up in Bucks. I'm from a London family though (and before that Irish on my Mum's side) so come from a long line of people who eat the parts everyone else throws away.....
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Cooked/cooking. Sadly reminiscent of the whiff one tries to avoid catching when walking past a mens room.

(I am/used to be "allergic" to pork (as illustrated by the above smiley, not a life-threatening anaphyllactic shock-type real allergy), so this may warp my perception. Bizarrely, I can eat bacon with no problems as long as it isn't too smelly when cooking.)
I love the smell of pork cooking. Specially a roast with all the crackling etc. Mmmmmm...delicious.

How unfortunate you are not to have this pleasure in life.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I used to love Mr Brain's Faggots.
Oh man. That used to be just about my favourite thing as a kid....well, that, 'goody egg' or lasagne.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:25 AM   #14
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

Brains faggots and dried pale green peas, mash and white bread to mop up the gray, all washed down with well stewed dark brown tea. Oh my.