The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Concerns about the economy have overshadowed nearly every other issue in statehouses across the country, but most of the worst-case scenarios for higher education have been averted this year, thanks, in part, to the federal stimulus package. That law includes $40-billion, known as the "state fiscal-stabilization fund," meant specifically to shore up state spending on schools and public colleges
cite 1

Yep, refers to federal monies, to help community colleges in the future. Not related to current state deficits.

cite 2

Yep, state funding issues...temporarily averted by stimulus funds.

cite 3

I see nothing about roads being fixed that didn't need fixed.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

well you can google it as I did and further refute my point that the states are fixing roads that don't need it. If you want.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
Shawnee123

Refute your opinion that roads are being fixed that don't need it, with cites that show all roads being fixed do indeed need it?

No thanks. Sounds like a fun game, but I don't really have time to do all the legwork.

As you were.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

One of my best friends is a civil engineer in a very high position with a local state. The roads that need the most fixing are NOT getting fixed for a number of reasons. The least of which is that there never were any "Shovel-Ready" projects. Additionally the money was supposed to be used to STIMULATE the economy. Therefore, it went to the ones the could get to work on the fastest with the least amount of interruption to the public. Also those which would look really nice in the shortest timeframe. There is a lot of duct-tape and painting going on.
Feeling stimulated yet?

Oh, there were several articles recently written that said the same thing. I said this when arguing with tommy boy a long time ago.
Its not necessarily a bad thing, but to tie up the money for a very long time working on the worst roads was not in the best interests of the people - according to the administration.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
Shawnee123

Yeah, I need a graph, dude.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
One of my best friends is a civil engineer in a very high position with a local state. The roads that need the most fixing are NOT getting fixed for a number of reasons. The least of which is that there never were any "Shovel-Ready" projects. Additionally the money was supposed to be used to STIMULATE the economy. Therefore, it went to the ones the could get to work on the fastest with the least amount of interruption to the public. Also those which would look really nice in the shortest timeframe. There is a lot of duct-tape and painting going on.
Feeling stimulated yet?
ahh stimulation!

Yes, I read this too plus many more. I had my nice list and then the system logged me off. grr

I couldn't be arsed to continue. Fun game indeed!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
Shawnee123

I feel very fucking stimulated, myself, thanks for asking. I can't keep up with all the jobs flying in my face.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
classicman

Here is one

or here ...

here

or here

For the record, this is nothing new nor unexpected.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #24
Shawnee123

Oh, goody. Well done, c-man!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
glatt

See, what happened was a state would have a million bucks in its road budget, so they would look around at everything they could do for a million bucks. They would have one section of road that needed to have some potholes filled, and they would also see a bridge that needed to be replaced. The road could be fixed for the million dollar budget. The bridge was gonna cost $100 million. So they planned to fix the road. They got the project into the pipeline and made it shovel ready. But they hadn't started the work yet.

Then Obama came along and said "I'll give you as much money as you can spend right now." They really needed a new bridge, but they needed a couple years to plan for that. The potholes were ready to be fixed right away. So Obama gave them money for the potholes.

The bridge still needs fixing badly. But so did the potholes.

Was the money wasted? Depends on how you define that. It stimulated the economy fairly quickly, and some potholes got filled. Hope that bridge doesn't fall down.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #26
Shawnee123

I had no idea Obama was giving money for potheads, I mean, potholes.

Yeah, I just can't take this seriously, the typical picking of nits and regurgitations of googled articles.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Hope that bridge doesn't fall down.
Me too. Thats what my friend was referring to though. The orders for "cosmetic supplies" are through the roof. The stuff to paint the stripes on the roads and signage and that sort of thing. He said its incredible how much they are doing & spending while avoiding the roads that need the work the most.

There are bridges and serious failures that NEED to be addressed that are getting less money than they were getting because of the spend it now mandate.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #28
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
There are bridges and serious failures that NEED to be addressed that are getting less money than they were getting because of the spend it now mandate.
That is not quite the case.

Those bridges and serious failures were not getting addressed before the stimulus money mostly because the states couldnt afford it before the recession or were not willing to make it a higher priority and re-direct funding from other state budget items.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #29
glatt

From my observations, it's true. Lots of nice bright new lane lines and zebra stripes all over the place.

I would have liked to see money spent on old bridges and other critical infrastructure, but I don't think that would have made it through the political process. The excuse for throwing money around was the stimulation, which meant it had to be fast.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #30
classicman

Thank you glatt. I was wondering if it was happening in other places or just where he is responsible.

Redux - I know what the truth is - I hear it FIRSTHAND from someone who allocates the money on a daily basis. It is an unfortunate reality.