The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #6946
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I hope you are feeling better, Clod. Did you figure out what was wrong?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #6947
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Not specifically. My mom eventually drove me to the after-hours clinic, but the guy just gave me a generic "labyrinthitis" diagnosis (i.e., inner ear infection, but he said probably caused by a virus, not bacteria) and some anti-vertigo pills. The pharmacy wanted me to wait 45 minutes for them, so I just went home and went to bed, and by morning it was pretty much gone.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #6948
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Avk. Glad you're feeling better Clod. Hope thats done with.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #6949
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm upset, annoyed, irritated...I don't know. I got my credit report by signing up with one of those privacy assist thingy. Looked over it today. It listed infos from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. So, my social is correct, but there are two different (wrong) birthdates, two different (wrong) employers, and 4 wrong addresses. There were mortage and auto loans that I never took out. There is department store card with a balance that I don't carry. There is a card with past due balance which I'm sure is not mine because I pay everything on time. There are several credit cards of the same bank, each with balances, and I only carry one card! Grrrrrrrr! There are more but I'm too lazy to open the report to see what else is there. The thing is I've got one excellent and two good scores.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #6950
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

get that fixed lola !!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #6951
lookout123
changed his status to single

heading to illinois tomorrow. Happy because I'll get to see my closest friends but gutwrenching because it is our final farewell/wake for the mighty CWB. reality has set in.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #6952
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Lola - I went through something similar. GET THAT FIXED ASAP!
Its not as much of a hassle as you'd think. Call them & explain the situation.
They'll give you step by step instructions on how to correct it all.
You gotta stay on top of it though. Check it every 3-6 months to make sure none of it comes back.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #6953
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sorry L123. Focus on the good times.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #6954
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've lost a night out in Cardiff.

My bro won it, but because it had to be taken by the end of August and they both work full-time (and she works some weekends) there was no way they could manage it.

So he offered it to me. Well, to the family, but I was the only one here to accept it and Mum suggested it should be us rather than her & Dad. She even said she'd pay for an extra night for the two of us.

And what did this stupid f**king waste of space do?
I can't find the f**king prize slip. He only gave it to me this afternoon!
I did not take it out of the house. It has to be here somewhere. But I have NO IDEA where I left it. And now that Mum knows about it I am too terrified to admit I've lost it because by her opinion my room is already a bomb-site and a pig-sty and I am already following my Dad by having Alzheimers.

Shit.
Poor old Stevo was doing something nice and I have turned it into a disaster.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #6955
monster
I hear them call the tide

you'll find it.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #6956
DanaC

Did you find it Sundae?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #6957
anonymous
Operations Operative

A friend told me this weekend that she has breast cancer. Not diagnosed, she hasn't been to a doctor in a very long time. Prior to this, the only people who knew were her and her husband. She hasn't told her 30-something kids, who adore her. She says she doesn't want to seek treatment: she's watched a couple people go through it and be sick all the time and die anyway, she says. I don't know if she's scared, or if no treatment is just how she feels about it.

But she showed me why she thinks she has it. Her nipple is inverted and her breast looks all twisty and she has a huge lump. She says "it's too late" but I don't know that's true. Once those signs are there, visible, frightening...has it progressed far at that point?

I don't know what to do. Keep bugging her to at least find out...if she then chooses no treatment it will be a choice not made out of fear. Should I tell her daughter (who is studying nursing) who I know would drag her to a doctor (this really isn't my place, I know.) I feel helpless that I can do anything to help her. I will be here for her no matter what she decides, but I want her to decide to fight.

She's a good person, good kids, loving family...she loves her dogs and her grandchildren. She's mid 50s. Too soon to leave us.

Thanks for the ears. I don't know if any advice exists, but if any comes to mind, I'm listening.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #6958
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Can you talk to her more, anonymous, and try to persuade her? Seeing a doctor does not mean that she has to undergo treatment, after all, she can still choose not to. Are there any examples of people that you both know who have successfully undergone treatment, to offset the sad storiesw she is referring to? Can you enlist the help of her husband in persuading her? How does he feel about this?
Hugs to you in a very difficult situation.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #6959
DanaC

Generally speaking (correct me if I am wrong) it isn't so much the size and spread of the cancer in the breast but whether or not is has spread to other parts of the body that is important. It doesn't always follow that an advanced cancer in the breast is inoperable, but if it's spread to the lymph nodes and bones for instance, then there a real chance it's too late.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #6960
SamIam

I had two aunts die of breast cancer. One of them had her cancer diagnosed too late after it had already spread. There was little they could do for her. My other aunt's cancer was discovered at a stage where it most likely could have been cured with surgery and chemo. Aunt2 refused to get medical help. She told the family that God would cure her. I'm sure God would have given it His best shot if she would have let him. God had sent experienced physcians and the latest discoveries in treatment of cancer. My aunt turned her back on them and died. It makes me sad to this day.

Anon, as others have mentioned, going to a doctor for a diagnosis doesn't mean your friend has to undergo treatment. In your place, I would strongly encourage your friend to go in and see what's going on. It may not be as bad as she thinks. It might be treatable. She might have many years ahead of her. I would definitely enlist the daughter's help, as well. If it were a matter of MY mother's life or death, I'd certainly want to know.

Best of luck to you and your friend. Cancer sucks.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss