The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #406
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why yes, yes she did.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #407
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Happy Birthday, Aliantha.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #408
Ibby
erika

Happy Birthday, Cyclefrance!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #409
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Happy birthday from me. Please add your own witty bike-related quip here, I'm afriad I'm all out of them at present x
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #410
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cyclefrance, best of birthday cheer on ya.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #411
Griff
still says videotape

How many times around the block is that for you now? HBD!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #412
Griff
still says videotape

Happy 64th Birthday Sir McCartney, Although, the recent revelation about your wife being a crazy person messes up the song...
Old 06-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #413
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Thank you Bruce, Sundae Girl, Ibram, Griff - and what a day it's been!

At last, a break from a DIY birthday! You see, Mrs CF wanted a new wardrobe. The old one was a built-in unit set against an outside wall, and so therewas always a damp problem. So, as there was the space, she went for a small sort of walk-in jobbie. The 'men' came and built the shell of it a couple of weeks ago, and then it has been down to me to do the filling of plaster, sanding of the floor, fitting the airbrick, a venetian blind over the widow (that was behind the old robe and now, being exposed, let's light in nice and early in the morning - Mrs CF likes that...), sanding and papering the ceiling, emulsioning the walls, and fitting the skeleton storage system that goes inside it.

No. I haven't done all of that today, although it does feel like it. Just papering the ceiling, fitting the blind, the vent over the air brick, the mirror, and one side of the storage system.

So it's nice to have the break and to see all your messages as soon as I've logged in.

Today had to be good. After yesterday, it couldn't fail. What a disaster that was! I went to pick up 5 litres of pink emulsion. I was very careful about where I placed it as I drove out of the DIY store, placing the can in the front passenger well with the handle to the tin nicely in reach.

As you turn out of the DIY place you come to a T junction. There's a lane in the middle of the bar road, so that traffic that wants to turn into the road where I was waiting to come out can move clear of traffic that wants to go straight ahead across the bar. There were two cars approaching from the left stopping me turning right (remember we drive on the other side). The first car a VW Golf stayed in the inside lane making to go straight on. The second car, a Volvo, moved into the centre lane and flashed me the all clear to pull out in front of him so that I could complete my right turn.

I moved forward, and just after, I looked ahead of me only to see the Golf had suddenly decided to turn into my road, directly in front of me. No real problem as I was only doing about 5 mph. So I braked sharply, and he sailed by (no indicator showing his change of direction though).

Then I noticed that the gallon of emulsion had fallen forward with the jolt of stopping. Then I noticed that the carpet was turning pink. Then I noticed that a gallon of emulsion is a lot of emulsion.... then I realised I needed to panic!

I would have loved to have gone after the culprit VW, but after many options passed through my brain at record speed, I chose the one that said get home and get bailing out the paint.

So I did. Surprisingly, Mrs CF wasn't very pleasant to me (I mean, I had only taken the A4 cabrio when I should have taken the old Passat estate - it was such a sunny day...), and I suppose the absence of any help I received from her with the ensuing cleaning job was probably down to my mood at the time clashing brilliantly with hers.

Anyway, 3 hours later I had completed the bailing out (actually recovered 75% of the emulsion!), and cleaned the carpets back to more or less an acceptable strange beige colour - I've covinced myself it isn't pink - to resemble as close as possible what was there before). All I can say now is, thank god it wasn't gloss paint!

There were two other lesser incidents yday (they always come in threes, don't they), but I won't go into those now...

So, despite all the work that has filled today, it has really been exceedingly pleasant!

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 06-18-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #414
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Ah, happy birthday to Bullitt, too.
well shoot and here I thought my 20th birthday came and passed and no one noticed.. thanks bruce!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #415
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmmm, emulsion? Pink emulsion? Some sort of sealer? It doesn't come in sealed cans?

Anyway, you spent your Birthday/Fathers Day building her a wardrobe.
And because you spilled(and cleaned up) the emulsion, in an(almost) accident that clearly wasn't your fault, but it was in her car she worked so hard to buy, you're a bum.

You should get away...out of the country....maybe France.....how about the Somme area... for some peace and quiet.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #416
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
...but it was in her car she worked so hard to buy, you're a bum.

You should get away...out of the country....maybe France.....how about the Somme area... for some peace and quiet.
Now why didn't I think of that....? And don't suppose it makes any difference that it was MY poor little itsy-bitsy car (Mrs CF just seems to wnt to drive it more than her own...)?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #417
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Happy B-Day, CF...and Bullitt, if I read correctly. Sorry about the paint.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:46 AM   #418
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Happy B-Day, CF...and Bullitt, if I read correctly. Sorry about the paint.
Thanks Elspode - my son said he's going to buy me an extra can of pink emulsion so that I can do the driver's side to match..!
Old 07-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #419
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Happy Birthday to Canada.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #420
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:

Happy Birthday to Canada.
yay, someone remembered. I just couldn't manage to find the time to post a reply here yesterday.

Happy Birthday to Sundae Girl too! who seems like a nice person and I hope she had a great day.

there was another person too but I don't remember who that was.....I think they don't come here so maybe won't care much for being forgotten.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote