The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #46
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
It isn't about 'getting there fast' it's about walking fast. I dunno. that's just how i am comfortable walking.
I agree. I walk at my pace, therefore my issues are about getting there at my pace. It's about 3mph faster than average. I am a very considerate pedestrian - honestly. I move over in advance to let prams and groups through. I move over when I see somone with four carrier bags coming up. I step into the road when if I think I'm the one taking up the room. But DAMNIT! Can I have some of the same consideration in return?!

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
(holds up hand) I'm slow! I'm a slow walker!?
As a slow walker, I will overtake you. I mean, I will burn past you - whooooosh! What I ask from you is that you walk in a straight line. I accept a reasonable meander, but mostly straight, please. Because I am overtaking you - at speed. I don't want to weave all over the pavement (mall, whatever) in order to get past you. Have some peripheral awareness and I will LOVE you. Really - when people move aside (even when it's not necessary) I get a warm glow all day.

Oops. Does this issue rile me?
No. Of course not.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #47
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I live more like 3 miles from Phila Int Airport. IMHO, You're not suburban, you're rural. To me, the war is between urban/suburban and rural.
I've been there. He's definitely Suburban. Rural is a couple of miles away from Chez Toad.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #48
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It already has in many cities. I say I live in the suburbs, but I doubt it would conform to what some people in other large cities would consider the suburbs. I have a neighborhood grocery store--not in walking distance, but less than 2 miles--and both office complexes and major retail centers are less than 5 miles in multiple directions. My husband does technically commute in the general direction of downtown, but his job is still only halfway between us and it, and there are tons of tech companies much closer. Anyway, we basically never have cause to drive into the city proper. So I guess we might classify more as urban sprawl, I don't know.
It seems that the location of companies are highly dependent on the type of business too. From what I've seen, all engineering companies and most large business headquarters are located on the outskirts of cities or in suburbs, which make sense since most employees will live in the suburbs.

There was also very large speculation about urban renewal (what sycamore was talking about) but that has seemed to slow since the recession and I'm curious to see if it will start up again when it ends.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think it was the recession, I think it was the bursting of the real estate bubble that stifled it.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #50
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

We have bigger arguments about which suburban dwellers location is better than the others. We already know that urban dwelling sucks. Some people like to be densely packed in with other people like cattle. Others not so much.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #51
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I don't think it was the recession, I think it was the bursting of the real estate bubble that stifled it.
Correct. My fault.