Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #2206
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What the fuck was that?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #2207
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

1) The girl reminds me very much of Liv Tyler
2) The pencil reminds me very much of WWII caricatures of Tojo.
3) AT&T ad account executives on acid could have made this.

And finally:
4) What the fuck was that?!!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #2208
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

"Hello, is this Fellini? What the fuck was that?"
Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #2209
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Every time you watch it, you'll notice more...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #2210
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Water drop @ 2000 frames per second

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #2211
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Making Candy Canes.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #2212
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Bruce - the VE & VJ day celebrations brought a tear to my eye.
I know for sure my Great Aunt Alice was there - she was kissed by an Airman, it's a family story. She stayed in town manning some sort of gun. the other Great Aunts worked as Land Girls, I've no idea where they were shipped to. Not sure about Grandad, will have to ask. But it's wonderful to see what they saw - Alice was a close family member despite being two generations removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Python Responds to emails. Pretty funny.
Very funny in fact, darlin'
I was all ready to object to it - we know Idle was the loner Python, but he answers in an honest and amusing way depending on how fatuous the question is.

In fact I was saying some of the answers for him (knowing their history) and was gratified that his responses trumped me every time. So it should be with a writer/ comedian you admire.

Last edited by Sundae; 12-18-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #2213
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

How to dance for joy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go9gF...eature=channel
Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #2214
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Christmas on Acid.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #2215
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Every time you watch it, you'll notice more...
Is watching it more than once a good idea?

I watched it a second time and I did not see anything more. I'd like my money back, please.

Last edited by footfootfoot; 12-25-2009 at 08:23 PM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #2216
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Did you notice... that the first time the girl draws the shape, it isn't something she's imagined drawing? The second time, she imagines a kite, draws a diamond, and gets a kite. The third time, she imagines a lollypop, draws a curly thingie, and gets the vortex.

Does this suggest that the pencil helped her imagine something she wanted, and then helped her imagine something *it* wanted? Is this a morality tale?

Did you notice how differently you feel about the pencil's smile? When the girl draws the kite, and flies it, the pencil is pictured looking up in the sky, and momentarily you wonder if it's happy for her and having fun with her. Is it smiling for its own joy at the end?

Did you notice that the vortex is in the shape and color of a pencil tip?

Did you notice that the sound the vortex seems to make is the same sound generated when the pencil creates an item?

Did you notice that the pencil looks into the vortex at the end? Did you notice the vortex quiver?

Did you notice that the film ended by cutting to black just as you were looking into the vortex from the same perspective as the girl? Did you notice that the sound didn't end at the same cut to black, suggesting to the mind that maybe it's not "over" when it goes black? Does this suggest that you were sucked into the vortex? Does this suggest that the morality tale applies to you?

If so, damn, son, you're good... you figured out what it took me like 10 viewings to see.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #2217
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Did you notice... that the first time the girl draws the shape, it isn't something she's imagined drawing? The second time, she imagines a kite, draws a diamond, and gets a kite. The third time, she imagines a lollypop, draws a curly thingie, and gets the vortex.

The first time I watched it I saw it that way, the second and third time, I read it as all of the things were being suggested to her by the pencil. Her expression didn't seem to me that she was imagining. I don't know why.

Does this suggest that the pencil helped her imagine something she wanted, and then helped her imagine something *it* wanted? Is this a morality tale? Possibly. I think the pencil was feeding her (no pun intended) the ideas and coming up with things that she would / might think of herself.

Did you notice how differently you feel about the pencil's smile? When the girl draws the kite, and flies it, the pencil is pictured looking up in the sky, and momentarily you wonder if it's happy for her and having fun with her. Is it smiling for its own joy at the end?

Yes and no. The pencil's smile was disturbed and disturbing. I did notice that the only change or movement in it was when the pencil looked downwards with one eye, perhaps indicating that the girl should pick it up.

Also what I found difficult to assign meaning to the pencils expression was that there were what might be considered lapses in continuity. (I say lapses rather than errors, because I don't know what was intended.)

E.g. The direction of the face changes within a scene between camera angles when no real time has passed. The pencil is on her right and then the camera angle changes and the pencil is on her left. Maybe she crossed it over, but there seems to be a moment missing.

At other times the pencil is face down or up or sideways, always with the same expression. Does this indicate that the pencil is unconcerned about what is going on because it is ultimately in control of everything and doesn't need to monitor what is happening?

I don't see any change in the pencil's expression so I wouldn't attribute joy to it. I have almost a more nihilistic interpretation to it. Not in the sense that "life sucks and then you die" but more in the sense that the outcome is inevitable, therefore joy or any emotion about it is irrelevant.

Did you notice that the vortex is in the shape and color of a pencil tip?

Again, yes and no. I thought it had a bit of a curve to it, more like an old phonograph horn but, yes, certainly graphite colored.

Did you notice that the sound the vortex seems to make is the same sound generated when the pencil creates an item?

Similar. When it eats her it is louder and slightly longer duration, but I have crappy speakers, so I may be missing a lot on the audio end.

Did you notice that the pencil looks into the vortex at the end? Did you notice the vortex quiver?

Yeah, I thought it was like a drum skin, hence the sound. This also reinforced my seeing it as a horn or some sort of ear canal or something.

Did you notice that the film ended by cutting to black just as you were looking into the vortex from the same perspective as the girl? Did you notice that the sound didn't end at the same cut to black, suggesting to the mind that maybe it's not "over" when it goes black? Does this suggest that you were sucked into the vortex? Does this suggest that the morality tale applies to you?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Sorry, I got distracted. You were saying something about morality?

If so, damn, son, you're good... you figured out what it took me like 10 viewings to see.
Not really, I've been in the industry a long time and I went to school for this sort of thing. Plus I did a lot of shrooms when I was younger.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #2218
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Implosions

We've all seen those implosions on the news where they are taking down big building or stadiums.
Hell there's even been TV shows about it.
They all come down so smoothly, just like they planned.

Well, here's one in Turkey, and a pair in China, that didn't.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db1_1262204021
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #2219
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Chinese do Winter in Style

Harbin, China.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #2220
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote