The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #31
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I do appreciate a variety of people. Don't get my wrong... for all my bluster, I love the south. The people are nice, generally, and boy do southerners know how to eat... but I just can't stand them, politically. And aiya, if I can't talk politics, I just can't live there.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Living at a certain latitude does not define your political beliefs any more than the color of your skin defines your intelligence.

I suppose it makes the world seem more understandable, less daunting, when we force widely diverse data sets into rigid catagories; but never fool yourself into believing that you are describing reality.

Let's test your theory: I live in Texas. What are my political beliefs? Unless you can state the correct answer with 100% certainty, then your theory is total shit.

When a theory is total shit, you abandon it. Otherwise, you're a fool. Your choice.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #32
Flint
Snowflake

Wait, I just realized what your response should be:

Quote:
You're one of the good ones.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #33
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

dude... Reed

and I've got a nephew at Hampshire and he takes classes at Smith, Amherst and Mt. Holyoke.

Liberal Arts with a capital ELL!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And ugly chicks.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #35
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

There's a book out there called "Colleges that will change your life." I think it would be a good read for you -- it gives more weight to the personality and philosophy of the school, and less to largely-meaningless statistics. Other than that, I would suggest that you apply to Eugene Lang in NYC, but that's based on my very vague knowledge of what you're into.

And sorry, but I have to join in the dogpile here. Liberal towns in the South are very, very liberal -- like more yoga studios than gas stations liberal.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #36
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
if I can't talk politics, I just can't live there.
So you only want to talk poiltics with those who agree with you? Spoken like a True Republican
Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #37
Ibby
erika

No, I was half-kidding about that. But honestly, I just dont want to live in the south. It's too hot, too conservative, too dictorial, too christian (too babtist, specifically), and too not-me.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #38
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Living at a certain latitude does not define your political beliefs any more than the color of your skin defines your intelligence.

I suppose it makes the world seem more understandable, less daunting, when we force widely diverse data sets into rigid catagories; but never fool yourself into believing that you are describing reality.

Let's test your theory: I live in Texas. What are my political beliefs? Unless you can state the correct answer with 100% certainty, then your theory is total shit.

When a theory is total shit, you abandon it. Otherwise, you're a fool. Your choice.
Calm down, man. There's no way in hell you can deny that there are a LOT more conservatives in the south than in the north. It's just the way it is. He wasn't saying that southerner = republican, he was saying the south = conservative, which is true.

And Ibram, I'm a yankee born super liberal, but I've managed to find quite a bit of interesting things south of the mason dixon. If you're looking for the right college, I would suggest finding one that will challenge your world view rather than just support it. Take a chance and step out of yourself, you might find it's better than you thought.

Jesus I sound like a recruiter or something.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #39
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeger
There's no way in hell you can deny that there are a LOT more conservatives in the south than in the north. It's just the way it is.
I can deny that very thing, in fact. There are slightly more conservatives in Texas, straight up through the midwest, and over to the west towards Wyoming and Montana. Don't believe the all-or-nothing red state/blue state bullshit. Here's an electoral map from the 2004 election showing each county as a shade of purple based on the percentage of red versus blue votes. That's a whole lot of blue and purple in the south, and a whole lot of red and purple in the north, ain't it?
Attached Images

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #40
Ibby
erika

But notice how you can actually see the vermont state borders there in blue?
Thats where I wanna be.

also, just because a southerner votes democrat doesn't mean theyre a social liberal. Most southern democrats are still socially conservative, which to me is really the problem.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #41
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

I'm not saying that southerner = conservative! I'm saying the south is conservative. You can't just ignore the cultural differences of the south, in attempt to be more understanding. The south is more conservative. There are a lot more civil war memorials and such down here.

Of course, they're not all KKK members, but the conservative ideal is more institutionalized.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #42
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Nice one, Fobble. Does that site include any interactive maps you can zoom on?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 AM   #43
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

So I'm going to take this year off. I still haven't decided if I want to go to school. I feel like sometimes higher education, as good as it sounds, isn't always the best option. Some people just aren't fit to be in college. My cousin tried to go to a private institution but ended up unenrolling after first semester as a freshman. He's a bright guy, smart, but just couldn't handle college. I kind of feel like, if I too were to attend college that it just might not be right for me, and I might waste a semester's worth of money when I could be establishing myself in the blue collar work force for maybe 14 dollars an hour this fall. Let's say in a year I move up to 18 dollars an hour, full time job. That's what, 30k a year? Maybe my math is wrong, but for a 19 year old I'll definitely take that. From what I've read most of you are well educated and attended school, but I am not convinced it will be the best decision for some people, maybe myself.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #44
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Vermont hicks exist, and are breath-taking. Remember that it's completely rural and mountainous...

I'll tell you what. Try this as an exercise. Go to Match.com and check out what sort of people are within ten miles of the area code that you figure is perfect for you. You don't have to date them, just browse and look at them.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Vermont hicks exist, and are breath-taking. Remember that it's completely rural and mountainous...
True. Of course if you really want intolerance, check out the Vermont left.